608KEB

48" plow?

608KEB

PO welded bracket to frame on my soon to use 48" plow( it's snowing as I post this). Could someone post a pic of how to hook plow up to 520H? Also the transaxle mounting bracket has these solid steel blocks.  Do I need them? On my 42" plow the bracket is not welded. It's a 1995 plow if this helps. I'm looking for the manual online.

1480870930607-2108774766.jpg

14808710353991421156232.jpg

14808711634881860362000.jpg

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 2

608KEB

Update, I printed Snow/Dozer blade 48" VIN# 06-48BC02 I'm assuming this is the correct manual. I'm going to wait for a reply in regards to the lift bracket that's welded to the frame. Maybe it's a improved modification.

ACman

Kinda off the subject but what front tires are you running on that fine looking :wh:520H ? 

daveoman1966

You have a 520H with the forward swept front axle that is required for a 60" mower deck.  Given that, the engineers made a kit to, in effect, make the dozer blade frame just 4" longer so the snow plow blade would clear the front wheels/tires.  The kit is very simple and used only ONE BOLT to modify to the longer frame.  There was also a need to modify the hand lever, which is the 3rd piece fo the kit.  

Have a look at these pics....hope I helped.  

ps...I looks like the po only had too long bolts, so he added to THICK BLOCKS to compensate.  They are not part of the original, although the two 3/8" thick blocks are needed.   

112311- 114a.jpg

EXT- (2).JPG

EXT- (10).JPG

DOZ 42a.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 4

gwest_ca

This owner manual will help also

Garry

• Like 1

Hardware Guy

Where can I buy one for these kits to retrofit an older 42" snow blade to a 520h with the forward swept front axle?

608KEB
3 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

You have a 520H with the forward swept front axle that is required for a 60" mower deck.  Given that, the engineers made a kit to, in effect, make the dozer blade frame just 4" longer so the snow plow blade would clear the front wheels/tires.  The kit is very simple and used only ONE BOLT to modify to the longer frame.  There was also a need to modify the hand lever, which is the 3rd piece fo the kit.  

Have a look at these pics....hope I helped.  

ps...I looks like the po only had too long bolts, so he added to THICK BLOCKS to compensate.  They are not part of the original, although the two 3/8" thick blocks are needed.   

112311- 114a.jpg

EXT- (2).JPG

EXT- (10).JPG

DOZ 42a.jpg

Dave, I see how it goes now. I don't have that lift bracket though. For now I'll use a length of chain. Thanks!

Edited by 608KEB

608KEB
3 hours ago, ACman said:

Kinda off the subject but what front tires are you running on that fine looking :wh:520H ? 

They are 7.50 turf tires. I can't find the name brand on the tire. It just says premium. I think they are 4 ply. I put them on 2 1/2 years ago.:banana-linedance:

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Hardware Guy said:

Where can I buy one for these kits to retrofit an older 42" snow blade to a 520h with the forward swept front axle?

I've seen them on here in the classifieds and eBay from time to time, but if you have the wider swept forward front axle the 42" plow isn't quite wide when angled left or right and whatever your pushing (snow/dirt/gravel) will just fall right back under that front tire, you really need a 48" wide, but nearly 18 years ago I made a cheap  alternative to the extension kit with angle iron between the angle head and mold board at the retaining pin and widened the 42" blade to 50", Jeff.

IMAG2087.jpg

IMAG2088.jpg

IMAG2092.jpg

IMAG2089.jpg

IMAG2091.jpg

IMAG2588.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

Hardware Guy

Thank you for your responses. I can understand how the snow could pile up under the wheels with the narrow blades.

I would also like to know if there is a list of compatible snow throwers that work with the 520.

Turftech

The thick blocks do serve as a useful function, they lower the pivot point, allowing the longer frame to raise the blade to the same height in the up position.

The this setup is on the 1994 I just purchased. the blocks appear to originally been painted red.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

As for 520H snow throwers and blowers WHEEL HORSE (Toro) has 2 basic styles 1) the single stage 36" wide short chute with wheels for skids (older style) then same basic housing with side extensions to 42" wide with tall chute and flat metal skids (new style) and 2) the 44" 2stage which was actually designed for the 520,Jeff.

21 hours ago, Hardware Guy said:

Thank you for your responses. I can understand how the snow could pile up under the wheels with the narrow blades.

I would also like to know if there is a list of compatible snow throwers that work with the 520.

Then there was an aftermarket company Bervac? Berco? that made a 44" 2stage also, sorry can't help with pic of that...

IMAG0528.jpg

IMAG1683.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

• Like 2

Hardware Guy

It sounds like there are a lot of compatible models to fit the 520. Does anyone find that modification is needed with older snowblowers?

Thor27
On 12/5/2016 at 2:57 AM, Turftech said:

The thick blocks do serve as a useful function, they lower the pivot point, allowing the longer frame to raise the blade to the same height in the up position.

The this setup is on the 1994 I just purchased. the blocks appear to originally been painted red.

I bought a nos plow with the 520 kit this weekend, and remembered your post.  The bag of hardware dated 1993 had the blocks still shiny and red. 

20161210_145138.jpg20161210_145041.jpg

The extension looks dusty cause it didn't ride in the back of the truck (rain) lol

Edited by Thor27
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

The thick blocks are there to clear the manual transmission tractors, I assume it was designed for the 520-8 and probably included in all kits after that. I tried to fit a plow with extension kit on a C-145 8 speed last year (and I did not have these blocks). The extension kit bracket hits the drive pulley and you cant mount the blade. The blocks lower the rear of the blade enough to clear the pulley. 

Mounting any snowblower from 1973+ will work on the 520H, but there is a different lift rod that was used on the single stage units. There is a slight bend in all the newer lift rods (probably 91+) that allows it to clear the front swept axle when the blower is raised. Some people dont find this to be a problem and others and made minor adjustments to make a straight lift rod work, but just be aware that that could be an issue.

• Like 2

Thor27

Thank you for clearing that up Brandon, good info!

• Like 1