Lane Ranger

Viist with Karl Stohry in Flat Rock, Indiana

Lane Ranger

Roger Parmely and I from Greencastle, Indiana visited with our friend, Karl Stohry in Flat Rock,Indiana today.   I bought a 42 inch mower deck and some rear hubcaps from Karl for my tractors and it was a good excuse to visit.   Roger who lives for the roundhoods and Karl who loved the modified/customs and big motors still are able to talk Wheel Horse in a civil manner!

I took a few pictures and we talked for about an hour of some of Karl's latest projects and got a good, upclsoe look of his special 16 HP Kohler  tactor made from  parts from a 520 (forward swept axle), 300 series (lift handle), GT 14 (rear frame/seat pan and hood), 1054  ( from grill)  and I believe an 8 speed transmission from another model Wheel Horse.   All done in silver Rustoleum hammer paint put on with a brush !   The front frame box is for a Wheel Horse tombstone weight !

Looks and sounds very cool.

Karl was also working on a 16 Automatic for his brother.  He also bought a GT14 that has been having automatic transmission issues (he chnaged it once and still not getting good movement).

****  Karl  has a no motor roller   Model 1-4831 and wanted to know what it is  if anyone has a model and year description from the Big Wheel Horse List.

Anyway thought I would share some photos for the Red Square folks to enjoy!

DSCN0367.JPG

DSCN0369.JPG

DSCN0371.JPG

DSCN0370.JPG

DSCN0375.JPG

DSCN0374.JPG

DSCN0373.JPG

DSCN0372.JPG

DSCN0365.JPG

004.JPG

013.JPG

012.JPG

007.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 9

ztnoo

1-4831

Lawn & Garden Tractor

Commando 8

4-Speed

Kohler

K181S-30108D

Wheel Horse

• Like 2

Aldon

Thanks for the pics Lane. 

I just bought some D series hubs from Karl.

He is a fine fellow.

ztnoo
1 minute ago, Aldon said:

He is a fine fellow.

Most WH Hoosiers are pretty good guys!  :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2

gwest_ca

His 1-4831 serial 442436 ID plate still has the Anco breakaway tab on it. Never seen that before and may be worth saving for sure.

Garry

• Like 2

ztnoo

Wow, our Professor in Residence here at RS, has offered an observation I have no clue about.....whatsoever.

I think the lecture needs to be extended into the next scheduled class time.

Topic: Anco breakaway tabs.

The lectern is yours Prof. Garry!

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Garry:  I will let Karl know !

Thank you!

gwest_ca
12 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Garry,   was ANCO  . the Andersen Company in Gary, Indiana that made the wiper blades?

See Anco  history at:  https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2009/02/John-W--Anderson/1766498.html

I do not know. I have never seen that tab before but it makes sense that is was part of a system to print and/or stamp the plates.

Garry

• Like 2

ztnoo

Interestingly, there appears to be a South Bend connection, although years apart from Pond and his tractor business.

Maybe there's an unknown common thread between the two entities.

Fascinating.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Lane RangerThanks for the pictures, like the silver horse, done with a paint brush. How did the finish paint job  look up close?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Very nice on the silver with the hammered Rustoleum.   Karl said he called the company about applying this special paint and they told him to apply with no additives to the paint and one time over with a good brush and let it dry.   It has a nice hammered effect all over.   Very unususal and not something I would do but it stands out in a crowd for sure!

Dan Hankins

I bought a deck off karl a couple of weeks ago. Nice guy with some nice tractors. I was right down the road in Greensburg most of the day today.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

"ANCO Breakaway" may have been a trade name for the plate supplier.

Garry

• Like 1