Duramax7man7

How much noise does you snow thrower make?

Duramax7man7

Anyone have experiences that cold be shared? Mines all greased up I believe. I checked the augers bearings last night and they are the sealed kind. But work well. chain is adjust well and I greased the chain as well. I'm guessing a lot of noise comes from the

sprockets?

Andrew C.

rjg854

I have 2 snow throwers, both in great shape, both make a fairly loud whirling sound when the snow is not going through the unit. I would say that it's the nature of the beast. 

• Like 2

Reel Mower Freak

I hope to find out soon. Bring on the snow.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7
3 hours ago, Ranger13148 said:

I have 2 snow throwers, both in great shape, both make a fairly loud whirling sound when the snow is not going through the unit. I would say that it's the nature of the beast. 

Okay great. That makes me feel a lot better. ha ha. Yeah its not a real bad sound at all. Just sounds like gears and chains and running smoothly. So thats good!

Thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, Reel Mower Freak said:

I hope to find out soon. Bring on the snow.

I know same here. These two Wheel Horse tractors hsve revived me excitement for winter. It almodt torture waiting for a good snow. ha ha. Soon enough though. Sooooon enough. ;)

rjg854

We got 2'of snow about 10 days ago, it was sort of a wet snow and that thrower on a 12hp worked out well. To say the least I'm impressed. It was my first time with this set up. Can't wait to try it out again. The only drawback is the face full of snow a couple of times. But it was still a lot of fun and better than the walk behind. 

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

WOW. 2ft already? We've had a lot of rain lately so if the freeze ever happens we might be getting a lot of snow this year. I'm in Michigan so always a tossup depending on a few things... I'm coming from a 18" Toro Power lite 3 snow blower which I will still probably use on lighter days. Or my 312-8 that has a plow. :D

rjg854

Yeah two feet of snow here and gone already But it's going to turn cold again and  most likely snow some more And if it's enough to use the blower that's the way we'll go if not I have a plow tractor also

• Like 1

Reel Mower Freak
21 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

Okay great. That makes me feel a lot better. ha ha. Yeah its not a real bad sound at all. Just sounds like gears and chains and running smoothly. So thats good!

Thanks for the reply!

I know same here. These two Wheel Horse tractors hsve revived me excitement for winter. It almodt torture waiting for a good snow. ha ha. Soon enough though. Sooooon enough. ;)

Buy a snowmobile and then you'll be dancing when the snow comes. So much fun.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7
15 hours ago, Ranger13148 said:

Yeah two feet of snow here and gone already But it's going to turn cold again and  most likely snow some more And if it's enough to use the blower that's the way we'll go if not I have a plow tractor also

Nice. I'm looking forward to it.

14 hours ago, Reel Mower Freak said:

Buy a snowmobile and then you'll be dancing when the snow comes. So much fun.

Ha ha. I would. But we have a State CSI unit hidden inside the old elementary school a block down on our road... So I'd probably be wasting my money. ;)

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

They are noisey, no doubt about it. 

Glenn

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

I was blessed enough to hunt down a Chain Guard so I lubed up the chain real well. No worries of grease fling and the noise is what it is. I probably won't hear much with the 20hp Onan screaming during use...

• Like 2

Reel Mower Freak

Used my blower for the first time today. It worked great although it wasn't a huge amount to test it on. We are supposed to get more tomorrow.I also bought a set of lights I'm going to install on the old girl. 

Edited by Reel Mower Freak
  • Like 2

Duramax7man7

Were supposed to get 3-5" tomorrow. So not much. will most likely wait until we get a heavy snow to use mine. 

Duramax7man7

Was Able to use Both my Blower and My Blade. Blade on the 312-8 with 100lbs wheel weights and chains was great but it's a bit old and rusty... I bent it a bit on the left bottom corner and twisted the plow frame a coupe of inches to the left... :o( Neighbors driveway wasn't level on one half and the plow hit it making a pass by the front of the driveway.

The Blower was fantastic once I tighten up the clutch. I was also experiencing some surging in the 20hp Onan and I read about tightening up the governor arm linkage clips and that actually did a great job tightening up the linkage and I didn't experience any surging after that other than the initial engaging of the PTO for the blower... I just need to get some weight on the 520h and that thing will do wonderfully. Even with more wet snow it really moves it well!

Was Able to use Both my Blower and My Blade. Blade on the 312-8 with 100lbs wheel weights and chains was great but it's a bit old and rusty... I bent it a bit on the left bottom corner and twisted the plow frame a coupe of inches to the left... :o( Neighbors driveway wasn't level on one half and the plow hit it making a pass by the front of the driveway.

The Blower was fantastic once I tighten up the clutch. I was also experiencing some surging in the 20hp Onan and I read about tightening up the governor arm linkage clips and that actually did a great job tightening up the linkage and I didn't experience any surging after that other than the initial engaging of the PTO for the blower... I just need to get some weight on the 520h and that thing will do wonderfully. Even with more wet snow it really moves it well!

Toro Bill

The 2 stage blower does make a lot of noise, lots of moving parts, too many in my opinion. Seems that they could have done something different and eliminated the chain and rear gear case, the belt could then go directly to the impeller like most 2 stage blowers. Remember, noise and vibration is energy and this energy is taken away from the engines power and efficiency. 

Luckily the onan is an absolute monster and once the governor opens up the blower noise disappears...:D

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

ha haaa! Yep. That muffler really starts popping doesnt it? I really like the Onan Engines! When they are running good they are powerful machines!

• Like 2