T-Mo

Get Your Snow Equipment Ready

WHX??

8" Josh??.. @PeacemakerJack....only about 5-6 here wonder what @achto got? Cab was nice best X-mass present I every bought myself!! 'Cept for the zipper thing.....see my post in bumps.....

20161211_120754.jpg

20161211_120737.jpg

NICE Ryan hope no problems with that bearing.

How much you guys get Tom? @Shynon

• Like 5

Shynon
51 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

How much you guys get Tom? @Shynon

about 8"

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX9 said:

only about 5-6 here wonder what @achto got?

Around the 6" mark here. I'm a lil envious seeing all the tractors with blowers & plows. My walk behind Ariens does a great job though. I can easily move my snow into the neighbors drive way.:D

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Jack, quit teasing me :snooty:, all joking aside, that diesel sounds wicked cool awesome snowblowing vid on that Dxi ,hopefully soon I hear the same :ychain:, but as John @shallowwatersailor says that radiator cooling fan draws a lot of air out of the cab vs the gas powered ones or the classics, so as far as being warmer in a cab he'll have to chime in but yes at least you wouldn't be a riding snowman from all the blow back, and as a tip or 2 to maximize that "chucking" distance 1) I added the rubber paddles to the impeller fan to close up the gap in the drum and 2) I added a solid "stone deflector" in the lower portion of the discharge chute just my :twocents-02cents: that it actually helps considerably ,Jeff.

The Kohler definitely draws less air than the Daihatsu. Obviously the airflow requirement is less for the air-cooled engine than the water-cooled diesel. But I feel that the airflow for the diesel actually needed in winter should be less as blowing snow requires less horsepower than mowing grass. Interestingly, the Kubota BX uses a similar design drawing air through the cowl screens and pushing air forward exiting through the front grille. Something I found out after the winter season is that Kubota has a plate underneath the tractor by the radiator that can be removed for winter (bad for mowing in the summer) and vinyl covers can be placed over the intake screens. I'm not sure if the Dxi has enough space there as the steering mechanism is right there. Initially I had thought of getting a second left footrest and running a duct through it to the left screen while blocking the other two. But this year I am going to try blocking the two side screens to see if that helps and still have enough air to cool the engine. Reminds me of my old days with air-cooled VWs to get heat in the winter!

Now I started thinking about getting a two-stage snowblower again!  :occasion-snowman:

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 5

Rp.wh
3 hours ago, WHX9 said:

NICE Ryan hope no problems with that bearing

It actually went very easy after I had the right bearing had it together in maybe 5 or 10 mins

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack
2 hours ago, achto said:

My walk behind Ariens does a great job though. I can easily move my snow into the neighbors drive way.:D

:text-yeahthat::laughing-rofl:

John--that is some interesting thoughts with the Kubota travtor and how they handle the airflow problem.  At this point, I need to find the right cab first, then I can worry about heating it.  Right now, I'd be happy to just keep the blowing snow off of me while clearing the drive.  If I had a sealed, heated cab with a radio, I'd end up spending a couple of hours in it every time I had to move snow:icecream:.

Jim--that H looks right at home moving snow and you seem to be pretty cozy in that cab too:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

WHX??
14 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

that H looks right at home moving snow

Need to get going on that 2 -stg tho--- I wanna be able to launch it into the neighbor's  drive like Dan!!:lol:

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Big workout for the newly rebuilt C 105 today. Ran like a charm all day!

My son working one of his several clients in the neighborhood...

IMG_0976.JPG

• Like 7

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: Not only working

"the horse" but using it to make some money and taking care of others in the process!  That is a WIN-WIN in my book any day.  That's great parenting right there:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

Well guys! We got snow overnight and I was out clearing it this morning.  It has been snowing here steadily since about 10am and now I'm trying to decide if I go out tonight and take care of it or try to do it in the morning before church in the frigid temps...:think:

Snowy and cold

OR

Very cold!

PeacemakerJack

I decided to take care of it tonight.  It was 14 degrees when we got home from mom and dads. Weather app said -8 at 7am and so as Larry the Cable guy is fond of saying, "get 'er done!"

image.jpeg

I've never taken a night shot of any of my snow rigs.  This one has the LED headlights.

image.jpeg

A couple shots of tossing that snow.  The blower blocks a good portion of the headlights effectiveness but the LED's are way better than the factory bulbs.

image.jpeg

I didn't feel like pacing it off but it was chucking a good 30-35' tonight. Look carefully at the left to right crosswind!  About 12 mph from the north bringing in that Arctic blast.

image.jpeg

Another good day with the big D!

• Like 3

T-Mo

I don't blame you for getting out and tackling it before the big freeze hits.

8 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I decided to take care of it tonight.  It was 14 degrees when we got home from mom and dads. Weather app said -8 at 7am and so as Larry the Cable guy is fond of saying, "get 'er done!"

image.jpeg

I've never taken a night shot of any of my snow rigs.  This one has the LED headlights.

image.jpeg

A couple shots of tossing that snow.  The blower blocks a good portion of the headlights effectiveness but the LED's are way better than the factory bulbs.

image.jpeg

I didn't feel like pacing it off but it was chucking a good 30-35' tonight. Look carefully at the left to right crosswind!  About 12 mph from the north bringing in that Arctic blast.

image.jpeg

Another good day with the big D!

• Like 2

WHX??

Got about 8 in here & blew in the morning. Short chute had some issues so back into the shop for a quick braze job & adjust the cable. Those cable setups can be  real pita! I  should have robbed the tall chute & worm gear setup  on the new to me 2 stg but missing the linkage and have yet to fab it. Got the cable thing fixed tho and actually turns pretty good now. Went at round two about 5 and just starting to quit but turning real cold. New cab lites did not show up yet but made due. Did get the  light control dash made up tho.

20161218_084111.jpg

• Like 3

T-Mo

I wouldn't mind picking up a blower for my "new" 520-H.  There is one currently in the classifieds here, but too far and besides, I better not buy anymore tractor stuff, especially something like a snow blower which wouldn't see much action here in Missouri.

• Like 1

WHX??

Probably would not see this kind of action Terry

20161218_114820.jpg

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 2

T-Mo

Nah.  We got a dusting last night, and that's really all I want to see after dealing with the freezing rain Friday evening.  Highways weren't fun, unless you had skates on your tires.

WHX??

This was just a dusting...roads get nasty I stay put in front of the fire...everyone safer that way. :)

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
5 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Short chute had some issues so back into the shop for a quick braze job & adjust the cable. Those cable setups can be  real pita! I  should have robbed the tall chute & worm gear setup  on the new to me 2 stg but missing the linkage and have yet to fab it.

Jim--I think you will really like your two stage when you get the parts you need to get it up and rolling.  This upcoming summer, I need to do some tuning on mine: graphite paint on the inside of chute, a stone cover as suggested above, and maybe even those rubber paddle shoes, etc

5 hours ago, WHX9 said:

New cab lites did not show up yet but made due. Did get the  light control dash made up tho.

20161218_084111.jpg

You did a great job on this setup.  It looks really sharp and functional.  What's plugged in the cig lighter?

WHX??

The amber beacon, didn't want to cut that nice plug in off. That way I could still use it on another vehicle and it has a really nice on/off switch. Really a nice light for just 15 at TSC in Berlin. It is magnetic and a  piece of sheet metal on the underside side holds it on to the plastic roof. Think I got robbed on the switches tho.They have nice toggles for gloved hands but we're supposed to be lighted, very dim.

Gonna have to get over and look at yours Jack....see  if I can get some measurements for that lift bar.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
16 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

The amber beacon, didn't want to cut that nice plug in off.

Cool.  That is a good idea, especially when you end up pulling on to those country roads after dark. You can't be TOO VISIBLE for today's drivers.

16 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Gonna have to get over and look at yours Jack....see  if I can get some measurements for that lift bar.

Any time!  You could give me some pointers on heating my "stable"!  Words from a pro would be valuable!!!!

T-Mo

Last Thursday we got a little snow, and I mean little, about 1.5 inches.  But I got my trusty JD GX345 out anyways and did the drive way.  Towards the end of the week, they're predicting another winter storm.  Right now it may be an ice event, which is the worst.  But if it's snow, I may try the 702 with the 42 inch blade this time.  I have the angle lever on it now and had to do a little mod to the lever arm itself.  It works, but it will get the proper setup eventually.

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

• Like 1