briankd

battery question

briankd

starting to get some of my supplies together to restore my C-120.the p.o. had this tractor had an automotive style battery in it but removed it before I bought it. i cut the ends off and put smaller ring term. on them and  a standard lawn and garden battery in it and the battery tray way to big for one of them. it is the original factory battery tray my battery out of my 857 fits tight in it but too small for this one.

that being said did WH have some other than lawn and garden battery they used? talked to the battery guy at work he only seen them automotive style in the big zero turns and they run about 80 bucks. I'm not paying that. my thought was make a block of wood put behind battery make it fit snug then it wouldn't bee seen being behind battery

Achto
1 hour ago, briankd said:

I'm not paying that. my thought was make a block of wood put behind battery make it fit snug then it wouldn't bee seen being behind battery

A lot of :wh: tractors with 10hp and above engines came with an automotive battery. I have also saw a quite a few of those changed over to a lawn & garden tractor battery, so your idea would work just fine. Wal Mart has started carrying a line of auto batteries that are in the $50 range in my area. I have no idea on the quality of these batteries though.

wallfish
8 minutes ago, achto said:

A lot of :wh: tractors with 10hp and above engines came with an automotive battery.

Which ones? I don't recall seeing this.

• Like 1

pacer

A lawn & garden type will work just fine in it - as you said it will probably take a 'shim' to get it snug. I use the wally world ones - about $30. Ive got one in a D-180 (which originally came with an automotive type) and its going into its 4th year.

Achto
20 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Which ones? I don't recall seeing this.

My 1076 and my Raider 12 have auto style batteries with a larger tray. My 867 has a LG type battery with a smaller tray. I've observed a fair amount of :wh: tractors 10hp and up having the larger tray for an auto type battery.

Edited by achto

wallfish

I never noticed that before as most of my collection is the early stuff and bigger workers are newer400 series

I've owned a few C and 300 series in the past but none with a large battery tray.

Was this a late 60s early 70s thing?

• Like 1

Achto
20 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Was this a late 60s early 70s thing?

Not exactly sure. My interests lie with the older tractors so far. I haven't had much experience with any thing newer than 1970. Doing a short search this does seem to carry over to the B series also.

Edited by achto

Racinbob

I'd like to see pictures of the automotive battery installed. From 1960 to the end in 2007 I've never seen one. I can't say for sure in the D series though. :)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:      and    :wwp:        

pfrederi

There are at least two sizes of battery box.  I will measure them later.  I just use some scrap wood to hold L&G batteries in the bigger boxes.  Charger/Electro used the bigger box and i assume originally had an automotive style battery with top terminals.  Pics ar from Electro12 manual...looks automotive to me.

batt1.JPG

batt.JPG

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Yep, looks automotive,   thanks Paul.

Racinbob

Excellent Paul. Is there any indication of the group size of those batteries? :)

• Like 1

pfrederi

I need to go out later and measure the larger box.  They look like overkill...but I have 14 year old John Deere that I bought new and it came with an Automotive style JD Battery.  Still working (knock on wood)/.  Never had a L&G last that long.

• Like 1

pacer

I have 4 of the "Big D's" and all have the large tray indicating they came with auto size. My D-180 came to me in VERY original condition and had a auto side post battery with original side post cables.

But, as so often happens there came a day when the 180 batt was dead and needing to do -- something? I robbed a L&G batt off a C model and kept meaning to change it back out -- just never got around to it! So now all 4 of them has a L&G type. I had to devise a different hold-down clamp to accommodate the overly large tray, but that smaller battery starts the big twins easily.

pfrederi

Charger/Electro Battery trays were 8-1/2 x 5-1/2.  Newer style are  about 7 x 5.

Picture is a 22NF in the older bigger tray.  it is 9-1/2 inches tall to top of terminal posts that would seem to clear the gas tank in my Charger and Electros.

Based on that Grp 45 or 51 51R would seem to work also

http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

Pictures won't upload right now will try later

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Achto
5 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I'd like to see pictures of the automotive battery installed. From 1960 to the end in 2007 I've never seen one

Here's a pic of my 1076 with an auto battery in it.

gallery_14491_636_19711.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

is the negative terminal on  the PTO side of the tractor?

Achto
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

is the negative terminal on  the PTO side of the tractor?

Yes. This tractor was really bad when I got it but was untouched as far as modifications. I did my best to put every thing back to the way it was.

SALTYWRIGHT

MT GT-14 HAS A GROUP 22NF AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY.               RUSS

pfrederi

My second cross over between hobbies!!!!  22NF battery is from my M37:P

Racinbob

With all the tractors I've had over the decades now I have to wonder if somewhere along the line I had one but I sure don't remember it. :wacko:

briankd
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:36 PM, achto said:

A lot of :wh: tractors with 10hp and above engines came with an automotive battery. I have also saw a quite a few of those changed over to a lawn & garden tractor battery, so your idea would work just fine. Wal Mart has started carrying a line of auto batteries that are in the $50 range in my area. I have no idea on the quality of these batteries though.

well that explains the automotive cable ends looked like factory that I cut off. got an 350 or something cc amp exide  batt.  in my 857 had it for 7 yrs now been good battery. thanks for the info

Edited by briankd

Sarge

Those 22NF batteries were common stuff in the 60's and early 70's , not so much anymore and the prices on them are quite high....

Sarge

Howie

:text-yeahthat:  That's why i changed the battery on my 1969 Raider.when I redid it three years ago. Got a tray to fit the battery and put it in.

Put in one with enough cca's to crank it.

pfrederi

If the 22NF is too pricey you could also use a Grp 51 or 55  (terminals maybe reversed on 55)

Length   Width   height

22NF  9.4     5.5        8.9

51       9.4      5.1       8.8

55       9.5      5.5       9.0

Edited by pfrederi