Sparky

Floor-Jack help

Sparky

So my old floor-jack is getting tired. Doesn't like heavy weights and doesn't lift like it used to. Looking for any input on a good quality jack to replace it with. Would like to avoid the cheapie Harbor Freight stuff. Harbor Freight jacks look great but I doubt they will last. Is Craftsman stuff still quality or have their jacks all have "Made In China" stamped on the bottom?

As well as lifting a few Wheel Horses I have a full size Dodge Ram pickup (heavy and tall) and my son has a new Subaru WRX (not as heavy but somewhat low). I would like a jack that would work with either vehicle.

Thanks in advance!

Mike....

image.jpg

• Like 3

sorekiwi

I bought a good one at NAPA a couple of years ago for $200 and have been very happy with it.  We have the same one at work and in 3 or 4 years it has been faultless.

I'll try to remember to get a picture or a part # tomorrow.

• Like 2

Sparky
8 minutes ago, sorekiwi said:

I bought a good one at NAPA a couple of years ago for $200 and have been very happy with it.  We have the same one at work and in 3 or 4 years it has been faultless.

I'll try to remember to get a picture or a part # tomorrow.

Thanks Mike!

Mike......

sorekiwi

This is the jack I have.  Looks like its still the same price!

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NLE7916420/NLE7916420

Edit: I also have a slightly lowered Subaru and need to put the front tires on 2x8's to get the jack underneath the front.  I think that would be true of all the small floor jacks though.

Edited by sorekiwi
Forgot something!
  • Like 1

squonk

That Napa jack has a 2 yr warranty and is the professional series. The blue color is the better line. The DIY or homeowner line is usually red. The blue jack may still be made in China (not sure) but it's still a better quality.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Lincoln jacks were really good ones and USA made. they sold out and then were made in China. The good news is that Hein Warner bought them out and brought back the assembly to the USA. I would imagine that there are still some overseas parts in the new jack, but at least there is product support for them. The cool thing about these jacks is they are rebuildable. I have been told that homeowner jacks fail the most because they are not used often enough and used in cold garages where moisture due to weather changes occurs. I got an inherited Lincoln and that had to be rebuilt once, but it is sure nice to have such a tool. I try to keep my jacks easily accessible and pump them up once a week or so just to keep the seals lubricated

http://www.jackxchange.com/products/HW93642.cfm

i did buy a Harbor freight [this one] that i really like for changing oil in cars because it is becoming so difficult to find proper lifting points on the unibody frames. Long reach and a very low lift height are great features on this jack. Mine has held up well, but you can buy a 2 year extended warranty that makes the warranty 2 years and three months.http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62310.html

The lincoln [now made by Hein Warner is still probably a better value

Edited by ohiofarmer

classicdmax

I have the low profile jack from harbor freight, which had the highest left capability. I believe it's a 2.5 ton. I use it for my 3/4 truck, rock crawling jeep and of coarse my wh. I've had it 4 years or so with no issues

312Hydro

If you decide to rebuild it, check out this thread.http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3068953#post3068953

I rebuilt the same jack this year and it needed a ram cup. I got it from a local hydraulics shop for around 13.00.I think I googled the sears jack number and found a tutorial on taking the jack out. It's pretty simple .

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I have the same "GarageJournel" link saved in my bookmarks.  I have not had to re-build mine yet, but they are made simple and it comes apart easily.  I'd try digging into it 1st Mike.  :)  That link is a good read anyway you go. 

cafoose

I got this 2 ton about 25 or 30 years ago. It was before Hein-Warner bought them out so it's just labeled as a Lincoln. I used it a couple years ago to do a brake job on a big motor home over 30 foot long and it still works great!

https://www.amazon.com/Hein-Werner-HW93642-Blue-Hydraulic-Service/dp/B000RFR498/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480526100&sr=8-1&keywords=lincoln+2+ton+floor+jack

slammer302

I also got the HF low profile jack haven't had any problems think i paid $88.  

slammer302

I know you said that you didn't want HF but just got the new catalog & they have a new floor jack!! Daytona 3ton super duty low profile with 23'' lift height and a 3 year warranty. The only down side is its bright yellow. Its supposed to be comparable to the Snap-on FJ200     

AMC RULES

Front & center of this weeks flyer...

IMG_6302.JPG

Sparky

It's so tempting to take a ride to the local Harbor Freight, buy their inexpensive jack and still have enough money to grab a nice steak dinner on the way home. 

Decisions...decisions.

Mike.....

JimD

Go for it Mike, and stick a fork in one of them "Eat More Chicken" cows, would ya? :lol:

• Like 1

Ken B

I have been tempted to buy one of them Harbor Freight super light weights for a while now. I have a few super heavy jacks and a light one would sure be nice...

stevebo
1 minute ago, Ken B said:

I have been tempted to buy one of them Harbor Freight super light weights for a while now. I have a few super heavy jacks and a light one would sure be nice...

I did buy one of the super light ones about a month ago and lifted the big boat with it and that was a bad idea. She is leaking now...

Sparky
11 minutes ago, stevebo said:

I did buy one of the super light ones about a month ago and lifted the big boat with it and that was a bad idea. She is leaking now...

Did you exceed its posted weight limit?

Mike.....

stevebo
Just now, Sparky said:

Did you exceed its posted weight limit?

Mike.....

But of course :ph34r:

• Like 2

T-Mo

My brother-in-law bought a HF jack a few years ago and used and abused it for years until it finally leaked out the hydraulic fluid.  I have to say that was one tough floor jack.  If you knew my brother-in-law then you will have to say for a floor jack to last as long as it did, it had to be a good one.

WHX??

Been following this as I have a Sears that has a leaking seal but to make matters worse the pump piston on it is pitted so a new seal might not work. I hate to scrap it as it is a good heavy duty 3 ton jack but sears tells me parts are not available. In the meantime a HF one might be in my future. Anyone know who these might have been made by? ...maybe I could try there.

20150824_100651.jpg

Edited by WHX9

Don1977

I bought a 3000# floor jack it has the Michelin name on it was in the $80 range.. The pump and takes way too long to jack up. I wish I had fixed my little ton & half Hein-Warner.

ohiofarmer

Harbor Freight is, well Harbor Freight. Some of their stuff is well made and an incredible value, and other things they sell just do not make sense. Take this little wood dolly.I have a Kohler sitting on one right now, but I need to put blocks under it before the rubber tires collapse. Here is the cart rated at 1000 pounds http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-61899.html

Here are the wheels that come on the cart, rated at 75 pounds.http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-7-8-eighth-inch-light-duty-swivel-caster-41518.html.

Where I went to school.75x4 =300. Put them on the little cart and their strength triples and then some [i guess} Still, there is not much wrong with using their stuff if you factor in the cost. Reading the customer reviews on the HFT web site is always a good idea and in general anything less than 3.5 stars could be a disappointment. They are really good about taking failed tools back without blaming you for breaking them, but keep your receipts!

There are plenty of Rate the tool threads scattered about the internet that can.help you and be entertaining at the same time. This one has over 2000 posts.http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rate-your-harbor-freight-tool-experiences.752036/

• Like 1

Ken B
23 hours ago, stevebo said:

When you say the big boat I'm taking it you mean THE BIG BOAT..... Yep, not a good idea.

stevebo
15 minutes ago, Ken B said:

When you say the big boat I'm taking it you mean THE BIG BOAT..... Yep, not a good idea.

yeah ..