hbrooks49

snow thrower assist spring help needed

hbrooks49

I have a C-105 with a 42" snowblower attachment.

I bought a new flag with the bracket, an eye bolt, and a hardware store spring SP 9629 which is the same specs as the 4629 Toro spring.

The directions say to hook it over the center crossbar (footrest bar). That bar is 3/4 of an inch in diameter. The throat of the spring is 1/2 inch diameter and the pictures on this forum appear to show the spring in place on the cross bar with the throat somewhat smaller than the bar.

How do you get the smaller throat over the larger crossbar ??? Or am I missing something here ? The pix of the 4629 Toro spring appear to show a throat even smaller .... I am a bit confused.

Thanks for any help - don't want to have to order a 4629 and find out I can't get that over the bar either.

gwest_ca

One of the vendors here has had some made

Garry

hbrooks49

Thank you for the link. I may be off on my math but scaling it it still looks like the throat of the spring is smaller than the diameter of the crossbar - how does one "stretch" it over the crossbar - it's a bit stiff.

lynnmor

Can you just grind some off the spring end and radius is so that it will push on?

WVHillbilly520H

I "twist" mine over the cross bar and yes it's smaller between the end of the hook and the rest of the coils but it does/will go with patience and persuasion,Jeff.

hbrooks49

"Persuasion" is probably the key - perhaps a 4 lb hammer?  I'm old and fairly arthritic which probably doesn't help the situation. Will tackle it again tomorrow with a fresh start.  Thanks for the responses

dclarke

I had to twist mine on Too. 

Shynon
16 minutes ago, dclarke said:

I had to twist mine on Too. 

:text-yeahthat:

Lagersolut

I " persuade " mine with a set of Channel Lock pliers .

hbrooks49

" I " persuade " mine with a set of Channel Lock pliers "

Hmmm - I have a large pair (16") - if there is wiggle room there should be enough persuasion. If not I'll go get a pair of intermediate size ones at HF.

Thanks for the idea ..

doc724

First year I did the twisty thing.  Getting it off is even harder.  Then I cut off about 3/16 inch off the hook with a diamond wheel.   Then I painted the end I cut off so the next year I would be sure to put the cut end on the cross bar and not thru the eye bolt!

wallfish

if you heat a spring with a torch, just a propane torch will work in this case, it will remove the "spring" out of the steel and make it less brittle so you can bend it without breaking it.

Just be sure not to heat the coils or they could bend too under the load of the spring tension.

• Like 1

hbrooks49

Thanks everyone - I ended up grinding the end of the spring to a throat depth of about 5/8 of an inch and rounding it off to a "V" at the end. Grabbing the coils and pushing to slip the end over the crossbar worked like a charm. And it sure does make lifting easier.- now I just have to fix the release shaft at the top of the lift lever  - needs a hammer. Must be something slipped out of place. I love Wheel Horses - they work well when "wounded" and even I can't seem to break them without a lot of effort..