mid60's

Pulley woes

mid60's

OK guys, I know that this should be a no brainer BUT I cannot seem to get the inside pulley (drive pulley) off the Magnum engine on a 308-8. Any ideas? Two set screws out puller on. It will not budge. Beating head on the wall here.

oldredrider

Soak the set screw holes with Kroil, BG In-Force or equivalent penetrating oil. Don't be stingy with it and let it do it's thing. Most of all, do not pry on the pulley. Use the appreciate puller. Many auto part stores have rental tools at very reasonable rates (free). They will probably have  the proper one for the task. 

• Like 2

Terry M
7 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Soak the set screw holes with Kroil, BG In-Force or equivalent penetrating oil. Don't be stingy with it and let it do it's thing. Most of all, do not pry on the pulley. Use the appreciate puller. Many auto part stores have rental tools at very reasonable rates (free). They will probably have  the proper one for the task. 

:text-yeahthat:   The above has worked well for me!   I fill the holes with Kroil oil a couple times a day for a few days.  a nice bearing or pulley puller will most likely start moving it off.   stubborn pulleys may need a little heat....but be careful if you want to reuse the seals.     

Just my 2 cents..

• Like 2

mid60's

Thanks guy's I'll give the Kroil  a try for a few days. The seal is what I'm after anyway so may give the thing a shot of heat as well. I'm thinking a little heat does not mean red hot. Right?

wallfish

Completely remove the set screws so the penetrating oil can easily get right to the shaft by filling those holes. Soak, soak, soak.

You can use a piece of pipe over the shaft to hammer the pulley towards the engine. This sounds counter productive BUT, once you get that pulley broken loose from the bond, it will pull off easier. You may have to do this a few times over and over once you get it to move. Hammer on, pull off, hammer on, pull off, ect, ect.

Those distortions on the shaft and key caused from the cupped set screws can make some pulleys very difficult to get off. Take your time so you don't crack that pulley.

A little heat couldn't hurt either

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

Terry M
12 hours ago, mid60's said:

a little heat does not mean red hot. Right?

Right!:)  ....Just hot.

• Like 1

Terry M
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Completely remove the set screws so the penetrating oil can easily get right to the shaft by filling those holes. Soak, soak, soak.

Thanks, I should have included the above , also:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

MalMac

Make sure you don't have double set screws stacked on top of one another. That happens more frequent than one would think.

• Like 1

gwest_ca
8 minutes ago, MalMac said:

Make sure you don't have double set screws stacked on top of one another. That happens more frequent than one would think.

A word of caution on double set screws.

The second or outside set screw needs to have the point ground off so it is flat.

If it is not what happens is the point of the outside set screw enters the hex hole of the first set screw and flares the first screw so tight to the hub threads that you will never turn it to remove it.

Garry

• Like 2

mid60's

After two days of soaking and a little heat, a tap with the hammer and pipe it came right off with no damage. I am happy, happy, happy. :D  Thank you oldredrider, Terry M,,  Wallfish and Mal Mac. It did not have stacked set screws but I did I go back and check. Never thought of that. Good point though.

Thanks again guys.

Larry

I

• Like 1