Texas Todd

Here Goes the 856

jimkemp

Eastwood sells a kit for repairing steering wheels , I have used it in the past and it works great , look it up at eastwood.com , I love the red on the muffler

Racinbob

OK, I'll chime in :) Here's my Suburban steering wheel:

Steering wheel done.JPG

I used Dupli Color on the blue can:

Duplicolor 1.jpg

The also make one in a black can that I really don't care for in this application. The same goes for the Rustoleum coating. I didn't have a lot of chips but as Jim mentioned, some bondo would be in order if you do. I just had to fill a couple small areas. So far it's held up well but I expected that from a truck bed coating. The feel is great. :)

• Like 5

Racinbob

Here's another one that I just now took a picture of. I wouldn't have had to refurb this had it not been for a stupid move. The grip and feel of the coating is great.

This is closer to your style of wheel but I think it's off a B-100. :)

DSCN0614.JPG

• Like 6

Texas Todd

Wow. Those look great! Thanks, I will do some research on the bondo/eastwood suggestions.

Texas Todd
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

PC7 is what I have read about in the past for fixing cracked wheels. Here is a link. 

Thanks, I browsed several car restoration forums and it appears the POR15 and PC7 are both popular.  It sounds like any of the 2 part epoxy's would work pretty well.  I will give it a go and see what happens. Thanks!

• Like 1

Sarge

Just fyi - after you've fixed the cracks/pits and such - if you want the original shiny look to the wheel I've used Eastwood's Diamond clear in several coats - with awesome results and the stuff seems to hold up really well .

Sarge

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Okay, thank you sir!

Texas Todd

Today I decided to attempt attaching the snow plow.  I have two plows and they are both for the long frames. I was figuring I would cut another 3/4" bar to put in the forward holes but when I put the plow frame under the tractor it wouldn't work. The hitch I have is the 2" receiver hitch with the plow brackets. The angle would prevent the bar from going up far enough to connect.

Rear Attach Hitch.jpg

rear pin.jpg

Then I had the wild idea to cut a slot in the frame that would allow the angle iron to go deep enough. If I ever needed to use it on a long frame, I could just weld up the slot. As I was digging through the scrap pile trying to find a suitable piece of rod, I happened on an old electric garage door lift mechanism. The light bulb came on.

pressure bar.jpg

If this will left a garage door, it should be stout enough to lift the plow. The forward arc of the arm just may give me enough reach to get to the lift attachment on the plow. 

This is in the up position:

down pressure1.jpg

and in the down position:

down pressure2.jpg

It lifts the plow fine:

plow lift height.jpg

It sticks out in front, but I don't suppose that will make any difference.

plow.jpg

Everything is complete with the exception of the trip lever to angle the plow left and right. I found one on ebay, but they want $34 for the little jewel. I am going to try to fab something up. If anyone has one laying around gathering dust, let me know.

• Like 2

Texas Todd

That was a lot easier than I thought. Back to the scrap pile. Dog bone from an 04 Suzuki that I no longer have...Not the prettiest thing I have ever seen, but its functional! I thought it was a 42" plow but its a 48. I guess we will see what this little 8 horse can push!

plow lever.jpg

Edited by Texas Todd
  • Like 3

Texas Todd

Well, a pause to this story. Fired er up Saturday to push some stuff around and she ran great, but smoked like a mosquito fogger. Was hoping that I had the crank vent in backwards but I didn't. After giving it plenty of time to burn off what was left from the build, I jerked the engine and pulled the head and actually measured the cylinder this time (should have done to begin with). Well its out of spec for sure, so off to get bored out....No happy ending to this story, for a while anyway....

WHX??

Ouch... :(... minor setback! :)

Texas Todd

Alright. Engine bored .010 over and reinstalled. @stevasaurus came through once again with some help and pictures. It's amazing how many pictures you take, you don't seem to have the one you need.

She fired right up and purrs like a kitten. Very pleased with the outcome. Considered swapping the drive pulley for the PTO pulley, but didn't have a belt that would work.  Not sure what a half inch would have got me anyway. Had to cant the pipe forward a bit. The lever to pivot the snow blade needs a tad bit more room. Hoping that will do it. The high heat red caliper paint didn't hold up at all, so repainted with the white high heat paint. Didn't refinish the steering wheel as I couldn't get the blasted thing off!!! May have to drape everything and try doing the best I can with it on.....

Very pleased. Now onto the next one!!! Already have a project in the works for my D-180..............

Done2.jpg

Done1.jpg

Done3.jpg

• Like 6

DennisThornton

I like it! 

What size rears? 

Texas Todd

Dennis:

Got em from simpletire. 45 a piece. A little challenging to get on the stock rim but they are fatties!!

They are 

Deestone D405 23/10.50-12 6ply

• Like 2

JC 1965

Congrats, tractor really looks great.    :thumbs2:

Elkskin's mower junkyard
On 1/23/2017 at 7:34 PM, Texas Todd said:

Well, a pause to this story. Fired er up Saturday to push some stuff around and she ran great, but smoked like a mosquito fogger. Was hoping that I had the crank vent in backwards but I didn't. After giving it plenty of time to burn off what was left from the build, I jerked the engine and pulled the head and actually measured the cylinder this time (should have done to begin with). Well its out of spec for sure, so off to get bored out....No happy ending to this story, for a while anyway....

zthats actually a shocker. the engine was painted gray. many people dont know this but if you buy a wheel horse or another brand of tractor and its got a old kohler K series thats painted gray. its a replacement engine. Kohler sold replacements that was just primed. The owner was supposed to paint them to match

• Like 1

Texas Todd
4 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

zthats actually a shocker. the engine was painted gray. many people dont know this but if you buy a wheel horse or another brand of tractor and its got a old kohler K series thats painted gray. its a replacement engine. Kohler sold replacements that was just primed. The owner was supposed to paint them to match

I sure didnt know that. Interesting!!

kudzu3

Beautiful work.

Aldon

Very nice!

oliver2-44

Looks Great!  You sure keep your projects moving along

Texas Todd
3 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Looks Great!  You sure keep your projects moving along

Thanks! I'm afraid if I let em sit too long I will forget where things go and where I put them....I struggle enough with that as it is!!!

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
16 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

Thanks! I'm afraid if I let em sit too long I will forget where things go and where I put them....I struggle enough with that as it is!!!

you did good on the plow but this is what you should of done with the long frame plow. i overlooked it other day lol

this is my work horse 700 with a long frame plow on it.

0216171324-00.jpg

0216171324-01.jpg

0216171324-03.jpg

Texas Todd

My rear hitch wouldnt allow that to work, but it all worked out fine. 

Texas Todd

Wanted to add some light but didnt want to change the look. Found these LED running lights and they give off just enough light to not run into things. It gets dark in Texas, believe it or not!

20170317_184511.thumb.jpg.5ebcd7a9c50c96602126883b5d501a6b.jpg

20170317_184632.thumb.jpg.992b338c6b0d611145b78fe43832c9e1.jpg

20170317_184532.thumb.jpg.7948e895cbfc42d7fb3c258c96f2b646.jpg

Edited by Texas Todd
  • Like 3