dclarke

"93 520 project

mrc

hi denny, the rear of the seat support brackets appear in good shape on your 520H.  however, often times they crack and break off.  since you have it torn down, may i suggest an idea. on the top of the angle iron brace between the pump and transaxle weld a 3/16 inch thick small strip of metal.  this provides a 3rd support (in the middle) for the weak 2 rear seat supports.. i do this to all the 3,4,500 series hydros i get.  just a thought to help prevent a future problem..  best regards  mike in mass. 

• Like 2

dclarke

Thanks, Mike. I'll check it out. 

11 minutes ago, mrc said:

hi denny, the rear of the seat support brackets appear in good shape on your 520H.  however, often times they crack and break off.  since you have it torn down, may i suggest an idea. on the top of the angle iron brace between the pump and transaxle weld a 3/16 inch thick small strip of metal.  this provides a 3rd support (in the middle) for the weak 2 rear seat supports.. i do this to all the 3,4,500 series hydros i get.  just a thought to help prevent a future problem..  best regards  mike in mass. 

cleat

Looking great.

I have never went this far on any of my 520's

You really cleaned everything up good.

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

That's a good way to clean out the years of crud in the trans.

• Like 1

dclarke

This transaxle was really clean inside, just a little sediment from the oil and that was it. 

woodchuckfarmer

My 518 was not that nice when I put the eaten 1100 on it.     Wayne

MalMac

While you have access to the drive belt tension pulley, check the shaft that the tension pulley is on. where the shaft goes through the hood stand, it wears the small thin bushing that goes through there. It also wears the shaft bad. Mine was wore so bad the bushing was nonexistent. The factory bushing is way to thin for that application. I drilled it out and inserted a way heavier oil impregnated bronze bushing.

• Like 5

dclarke
1 hour ago, MalMac said:

While you have access to the drive belt tension pulley, check the shaft that the tension pulley is on. where the shaft goes through the hood stand, it wears the small thin bushing that goes through there. It also wears the shaft bad. Mine was wore so bad the bushing was nonexistent. The factory bushing is way to thin for that application. I drilled it out and inserted a way heavier oil impregnated bronze bushing.

I'll check that, Tim. Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 1

MalMac

Just about same thing I did Denny. Really smoothes out the running of the belt. Mine even got more quite.

• Like 1

dclarke

It warmed up a little today so I got a few more things done. I have the front rims blasted so I put new bearings in then mounted all 4 bare rims back on the tractor and set the toe in on the front. Then I mounted the front tires and primed those front rims, after I get a coat of silver sprayed on them I'll seat the tires and get those back on the tractor. Two down and two to go. I picked up one of those mini tire changers from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago, it worked pretty well on the front tires but I had a little trouble taking the rear tires off. Once I get the rear rims blasted we'll see if the new rear tires go on any easier. I also checked the valve stem clearance and cleaned up what little carbon there was on the head and piston and took the top off the carb and cleaned it out then bolted the engine back on the frame. 

DSC06430.JPG

DSC06434.JPG

DSC06438.JPG

• Like 8

MalMac

Looks like your moving right long Denny. For long you'll be blowing snow with it.

• Like 2

Shynon

Looking good Denny  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Terry M

Looks to be coming along really Nice , Denny!! :handgestures-thumbupright:     Can't wait to see it done...

prondzy

Makes me want a 520 Denny! Looks sharp!

WHX??

I see you have the same habit as I in loading up the hardware ready for the next piece. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

dclarke
2 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

I see you have the same habit as I in loading up the hardware ready for the next piece. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yeah, it seems like if I don't do that I can't remember what goes where. Getting old I guess. lol

• Like 2

WHX??

I hear ya there Denny, a good shop practice even if you have a "young" memory.   It also helps if you are going to replace a fastener with say stainless or other type you have the correct dimensions from what was OEM. length/thread which can be critical in those over the tank pan & seat bolts & other areas.

• Like 3