blake616

416-8 Hard starting

blake616

1991 416-8 is hard to start. It has been my workhorse for this summer.. no issues. Wanted to get the mower off, service and get the blade on for winter today. It took me about 5 minutes to get it started...I had to stay on the starter much longer (10 sec) than usual. I checked to be sure I had gas in the filter and disconnected both side of the fuel filter.

Looking for troubleshooting tips. I think I will pull the plugs and reinstall new...as the ones in their have been in 8-9 years.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

squonk

Fuel draining from the carb back to the tank due to stuck check valve in fuel pump.

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, blake616 said:

plugs and reinstall new...as the ones in their have been in 8-9 years.

You need to show it some love. If it has been 8-9 years since you changed plugs my guess is you may need to replace the fuel lines and filter also. I would suggest you use only non-ethanol gas if you are not already doing so, (find it at buyrealgas.com) ethanol breaks down the components in the fuel system. Another thing a lot of folks (myself included) have found worthwhile is Seafoam fuel additive, well worth the cost.

• Like 1

blake616

Thanks Mike, How do I fix the stuck valve in the fuel pump....or do I have to replace the entire pump? Please advise.

richmondred01

Onan or Kohler?

squonk

I would add an electric pump. 

• Like 2

T-Mo
12 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

Onan or Kohler?

Original post says a 1991, so it will be an Onan engine.

richmondred01

Ok so an onan. Did you check for spark. If none look at the ignition module. It's under the flywheel. New one goes for about 85-95 buck.