JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Cab Light Electric Lessons needed ,, wiring and all

WHX??

Can't argue with the two year warranty either Kurt. I am going to go with a bar on the front and Glenn's on the rear, maybe even get fancy and rig up a micro switch in the tunnel or somewhere so the rears only come on when in reverse ala Fun Eng.

2 hours ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

couple of hours use it will get every year

A lot less now that we went thru all this and not get any snow! You guys do know that if we weren't setting up our tractors like this there would be a blizzard every other day! :huh:

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

Three years ago I bought the two stage.  I rebuilt it over the summer.  I haven't used it since.  Mother nature is strange that way.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
4 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Bet this is the same one or close to as yours then Kurt....http://www.ebay.com/itm/181403736487?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT .... looks like the outboard ones turn out a bit. I suppose for that kind of money if one gets a couple of years out of it ya did ok.  I  would have guessed they wouldn't be too hard on the charging system??? Notice they don't give amp draw in the specs

That draws 10.5 amps. I think it would overload most tractors except something like my 523Dxi which has a 40 amp alternator.

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

My 520H puts out 15 amps, so its really close.  At idle with lights on my voltage is right at 12.5 volts, at 1/4 throttle I'm at about 13.5 volts and at full throttle I'm at 14 volts.  My conclusion is that this set up is marginal, but OK for intermittent use.  Considering I rarely use the snow blower at night, I'm OK with it.

Kurt

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
5 hours ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Sure looks like the same one to me.

Mine  ---  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WE47FVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You are so right on the price - for the couple of hours use it will get every year I'm not worried.

Glenn,  I just ran the wires long, disconnected the spade terminals from the head lights and plugged in the wires from the LED lights.  Taped up other head light spade.  Next spring I'll reverse the process.

Kurt

Kurt, I am sooooooo glad you posted this, I have been thinking. Why can't I use the existing light wiring? So, just run 2 long wires from the leds in the cab up to the existing spade connections that are there already. Then the lights even work like factory.  Don't even have to run a  new power line or anything, yes, use what's there. Now that's the ticket. I am going to do that.

Yep, the way is clear now, 2 connections to existing light terminals. Pure genius. Ty Kurt.

Beautious.

Glenn

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
21 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Pure genius. Ty Kurt.

I'm blushing, 

Glad I could help.

Kurt

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
8 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Bet this is the same one or close to as yours then Kurt....http://www.ebay.com/itm/181403736487?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT .... looks like the outboard ones turn out a bit. I suppose for that kind of money if one gets a couple of years out of it ya did ok.  I  would have guessed they wouldn't be too hard on the charging system??? Notice they don't give amp draw in the specs

Jim, a FYI, those lights calculate out the 10.5 amps. Just my opinion, but pretty heavy on what is drawn off the system.  

Just a comment on the lights I chose, at 12 volts and 18 watts per light, they only draw 1.5 amps per light, so 3 amps for  both lights drawn off the system, barely nothing. Big safety margin in there.  BUT, good or not?       TBD.

I chose the flood light bulb over the spot light to have the lighting field of vision spread wider from the cab. The important thing to me was not to overwhelm the charging systems draw. I still have electrical "room" to ad a rear light, maybe a yellow strobe to. Who knows for now. But, I need to get them hooked up, do some night pictures. We will see then if they are adequate, who knows, with my eyesight I might need 2 light bars like Kurt installed.   :D

Will get some pictures up as soon as I can. The led light is surely the way to go. 

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

gwest_ca
9 hours ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

My 520H puts out 15 amps, so its really close.  At idle with lights on my voltage is right at 12.5 volts, at 1/4 throttle I'm at about 13.5 volts and at full throttle I'm at 14 volts.  My conclusion is that this set up is marginal, but OK for intermittent use.  Considering I rarely use the snow blower at night, I'm OK with it.

Kurt

I believe the Onan engines Wheel Horse used in the 520-x were rated at 20 amps.

Garry

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
31 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

I believe the Onan engines Wheel Horse used in the 520-x were rated at 20 amps.

I just checked Garry, you are correct.  It is 20 amps on the 520H.  That make me feel a bit better.

My light bar is 126 watts.  At 14 volts (charging voltage) that is a 9 amp draw.  Add a few amps for the tail lights and engine we have a nice safety margin.

Thanks,

Kurt

• Like 2

WHX??

Wow I would have guessed less than 5 amps for Kurt's lights. Sounds like your voltmeter does the same as mine then with what's on mine now . Any Idea what your lights draw Glenn?

some pics... these will come off and get replaced with Glenn's style for the rear. Switch ain't much but it works... probably leave as is ...for now, but might  get fancy & make a mini console like Dave's & switch separate  in case I don't need the rears & for the amp draw thing. Temporarily  disconnect the fronts, which are useless anyway when the blower is raised, to help the amp draw thing?

Wiring should be real strait forward Glenn.. I just have it tie wrapped to the down frame, snuck up under the hood and direct to the bat. via an inline fuse holder & spade disconnect. Ground thru the cab frame.

20161208_171545[1].jpg

20161208_171600[1].jpg

Maybe get in the habit of shutting them down when idling and getting out to hand shovel

14 hours ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Considering I rarely use the snow blower at night

Just the opposite for me Kurt

I'm sure I could just convert the lights on ther to led but that would mean no new lights and that would be no fun! :lol:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

A comment for you electric wizards out there, I got a call from John, SHALLOWATER sailor re wiring directly to the existing light wires. He feels a concern (weak point) is the ignition combo light on ,, off switch.  Can any of you guys think if this is an area of concern? I would like to wire up like Kurt did, only cause is fast and simple.  And maybe I am lazy to..:lol:

Glenn

Kurt-NEPA

Glenn, you could always insert a relay and play it really safe.  I might still do that.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
4 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Glenn, you could always insert a relay and play it really safe.  I might still do that.

To think of it, John said that to.  Did you have to complicate things, lol.

Glenn

Kurt-NEPA
2 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Did you have to complicate things

Yep I did complicate this.  However relays are easy to wire and inexpensive.  Hard part is finding a place to put them.

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

Glenn,

Here is how you would wire it up using a relay if that is what you choose to do. 

wiring diagram relay.jpg

• Like 3

pfrederi

Make the lighting issue real simple

Number 1  real men don't use cabs:P

Number 2 Move snow in the day time:P

IMG_0062.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

Rebuttal

25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Number 1  real men don't use cabs:P

I haven't been a real man since I turned 55 and had to start taking little blue pills.:lol:

25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Number 2 Move snow in the day time:P

It is dark when I go to WORK and dark when I get home.. I keep telling it to snow only on Saturdays and Sundays during the day but like others in my family it don't listen!! :lol:

I would just stick with a separate switch(s) That way if you just want to run the tractor's lights alone, and yes less complicated. Wiring is my strong suit so if ya need help holler but looks like Bob has got the diagrams covered.

Edited by WHX9
add
  • Like 3

Shynon

Here's what I'm using, has spots and floods, also put some cheat programmed flashers on the sides and back, may upgrade them at some time.

IMG_5724.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG

• Like 3

WHX??

What tractor have you got that on Tom ...no problems with the power it draws?

• Like 1

Shynon
5 hours ago, WHX9 said:

What tractor have you got that on Tom ...no problems with the power it draws?

Jim that was on a mutt black hood, this year I will be using an electro 12. I  have had no issues with power.

• Like 1

WHX??

Saw this today at TSC. Might make things easier for a guy who doesn't want to build his own harness......about 25 clams ...sorry about the sideways 

20161210_115543.jpg

• Like 4

Kurt-NEPA

Looking really good there Glenn.

Kurt

• Like 1

Shynon

Wow, those put out some light.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

boesabot

:text-coolphotos:That looks great fantastic job. You might just be able to melt the snow with them lights.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2