Racinbob

K-161 Recoil Starter

Racinbob

Here's the recoil starter on the K-161 that will be going on my 500 Special.

K 161 Recoil Starter.jpg

Every time I've worked on a recoil starter I've simply rewound the spring when reassembling. Here's my problem as I've never had one of these cast thingys apart. The service manual specifically states "old spring cannot be reinstalled" and that I would have to obtain a new spring held in a specially designed 'c-ring' retainer. I would prefer to disassemble it to get the housing refinished but not if that's actually the case. Then there's the rope. It says to use only a Kohler replacement because it's designed for this specific starter. Otherwise it may not lock properly in the pulley. OK Wheel Horse gurus, I need more guidance. :)

wallfish

Very interesting question Bob. I've never had the need to take one of these apart either.

I do have one that is acting kind of funny so if there is no answer from anyone with knowledge of this, I'm willing to have at it to find out the answers and document the experiment.

• Like 2

Racinbob

I'm betting somebody here has had one apart John. I almost just went ahead and tore it apart but then I got to thinking about parts for it. I don't think there's much available. I find it hard to believe the spring can't be reused but if I'm wrong I'd have a problem. I'm sure there's a replacement for the entire thing but I kinda like the old look of the cast unit. With all the smarts on this forum I think we'll get to learn something. :)

Molon_Labe

Bob, I replaced the rope and pull handle (B&S) on the K161 for my 704 but it was so long ago that I can't remember exactly how I did it but I do know that I didn't have to replace the spring.

SAM_1389.JPG

AMC RULES

Racinbob

Thanks Craig but all of those videos are basically of the typical recoil starter and I've worked on a bunch of those. Maybe I shouldn't be concerned about this one but, according to the service manual, it may not be 'typical'. I was hoping to hear from those who actually had this style apart.

Major, that's a good indication. Again, according to the service manual, the starter has to be completely disassembled to replace the rope. That would mean a new spring. I'm beginning to think the service manual is a bit misleading.

sorekiwi

I've had at least one of those apart before, but I'm in the same position as Molon-Labe above - I dont remember the details.

I am fairly sure there was nothing too special about it.  Usually I remember if something was a total nightmare!  I think I just took it apart, cleaned it, fitted new rope and rewound the old spring.  I am about 90 % sure that it was no more a PITA than any other recoil starter.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Racinbob

Thanks Mike. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and tear it apart. :)

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Make sure you put the spring in the right way.        Wayne

Racinbob

Ok guys. I tend to live by the "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion" theory. That may be because when I do read them I sometimes over complicate things. That's what happened here. I initially thought parts for this starter were no longer available but Craig set me straight on that. Then a few blurbs in the repair manual made me a bit gun shy. There was absolutely no reason to be. Here's how the disassembly went. Reassembly will be a while because I will be stripping and painting the case. This is really a very simple starter.

Here's the backside. Simply remove the handle being careful of the spring tension. Pull the rope inside the housing and Hook it in the notch you see at about the 8 o'clock position on the pulley. That will allow you to unwind the spring. It was only wound two turns.

K 161 starter rebuild 1.JPG

Remove the bolt and you will see the pawls. Note the little spring and where it connects.

K 161 starter rebuild 2.JPG

The main spring will be exposed. This is where they say if you remove it you have to install a new one. Nope, not true. You can clamp the coil with some long nose vice grips near the ring on the post and work it out.

K 161 starter rebuild 3.JPG

The pawls lift right out. A good cleaning is in order here.

K 161 starter rebuild 4.JPG

The pulley is split and held together by these four bolts. It clamps and holds the end of the rope. This is where Kohler states to use only an original rope so it holds properly. A quality 7/32" rope will work fine. Don't try one of those cheapies at Walmart. My rope was in good shape until I saw the end. You can see it in the picture. You can also see where the spring connects on the pulley.

K 161 starter rebuild 5.JPG

Here's what a new spring looks like. That green ring holds it together until you install it. Ummmmmm, make sure you flip it over before installing it. :wacko:

K 161 Starter spring.jpg

Kohler springs as well as Stens and others are available. Even though I don't need one I wend ahead and ordered a Kohler just so I have it. It cost a bit more than a Stens but I just wanted the name. I'm sure you can all see how simple reassembly will be. When you put the pulley back on make sure the spring catch on the backside is a little more clockwise to the spring hook. Then just rotate it counter clockwise and it will catch. Since I unwound mine two turns I'll rewind the same. You just need to make sure the rope retracts all the way. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 4

TT

Don't use any lube on the "brake" parts and make sure to apply a little blue thread locker to the center screw once you're sure everything works correctly. You'll have to hold the center screw from turning while pulling the rope & observing the pawl operation. Don't overtighten the center screw and do not pull the rope again until the thread locker has time to set.
If the center screw loosens, the friction required to "kick out" the pawls will decrease. The pawls won't extend unless you quickly jerk the rope ~ and even that technique is not reliable. (and it makes you look like a rookie - LOL)
The cast aluminum 4 bolt recoil found on the Tecumseh / Lauson engines in the 550/551/502/etc. models are getting tough to find replacement parts for.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1