SPINJIM

ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

SPINJIM

My 417 with the KT17 series II engine is not getting fuel if it is not run for a couple of weeks, so I bought an electric fuel pump.  I've read most of the threads on installing it, but I don't know whether to remove the old mechanical fuel pump, or just leave it inline to serve as a check valve.    If I remove it, I guess there are cover plates to cover the hole, or I could just leave it on the block, and bypass it with the fuel line.    The old fuel pump is a bear to get at, especially in a cold, unheated workshop with cold fingers.   The 417 is my snowblower tractor, so I have to do it now.

Thanks for any advice,   Jim

Achto

I would leave the old pump bolted to the block and just bypass it. You can always remove the old pump and install a cover plate later after it gets warm out if you wish.

• Like 3

Jerry77
26 minutes ago, achto said:

I would leave the old pump bolted to the block and just bypass it

Yeah , that is what I did -just leave it but block the ports ..no vacuum leak that way...

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:      did that on my GT-14, it is a bear to get too so I just cut the hoses, plugged them with 1/4" dowel  and bypassed it. Be sure to install a fuse on the line that feeds it.

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

Another vote for leaving the pump in place and bypassing it.  That's what I did on both of my 520H. 

BTW, I have no regrets.  Mine both fire up on the first or second revolution.  That wasn't the case before.

Kurt

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Yup a short piece of hose from inlet to outlet will keep stuff out and prevent any vacuum leaks then you can forget it. 

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Thanks everyone for the help.   I'll take the advice, and just bypass the old pump for now.  Good idea to just turn the outlet hose back on itself to the inlet.  

I just ordered the cover for the hole in the block, but it won't be going on until springtime.   If I take all of the covers off of the engine now to get to the pump, it will surely cause a snow storm, and I won't have a working snow thrower to handle it.

Happy Thanksgiving,  

Jim

• Like 3