Sign in to follow this  
qd-16

310 blower problems

qd-16

This just downright has me stumped :D We had some snow last night so I went down to grandpa's house were I keep my 310 with snowblower to see If I could blow some snow. This is the first time I've used this blower since I got it about a month ago.. Well it blows the snow out the front and not back thru the chute like it should??? :hide: I'm pretty sure I have the belt hooked up right, the main drive pully on the blower turns counter-clockwise when the unit is engaged...could something be put together wrong on this? Could the auger possibly be in backwards? The person I bought it from said he used it on a 312 a few times.

PC250055.jpg

Sparky

The drive pulley on the blower should turn counter-clockwise and your auger looks like its installed just like mine.

The only thing I can think of is that someone replaced the drive chain and has it on wrong causing the auger to spin the wrong way.

Mike....

Sparky

Heres a pic of my drive chain setup. Hope this helps.

Mike...

chain003.jpg

qd-16

Thanks Mike I will check it out after work tomorrow, Al :hide:

catman81056

I had the same prob with a blower I picked up cheep. If your chain goes from the pulley shaft straight to the auger, thats the reason it blows backwards. The simple fix is to go to your local tractor supply or hardware store and but a 2"-21/2" idler sprocket for #40 chain. Buy a roll of #40 chain, usually comes in 10' lengths.

If you notice in Mikes pic, the Auger rides on top of the chain.

Take the idler sprocket thats already on your blower and put it in the bottom front hole on the left front side of the blower, this should be a slotted hole. Now take the idler you bought and put it in the top hole above the first one. Now just run the chain as you see it on Mikes blower.

It works, mine throws the right direction now.

linen beige

Al, Looks like Mike and Tim have you covered! From your pic it looks like the chain on yours is not routed correctly. The top of the auger should turn away from the front of the tractor when running, and the bottom should turn toward the tractor, pulling snow into the blower.

qd-16

Tim and Mike, thanks for the wonderful information, I can now clearly see what the problem is and what I have to do to fix it. What I can't understand is why would this blower be set up like this? I can now tell that is has been "fiddled" with, just curious for what reason. I will keep you posted when I get it right. Al. :hide::D

P1090075.jpg

P1090072.jpg

catman81056

Tim and Mike, thanks for the wonderful information, I can now clearly see what the problem is and what I have to do to fix it. What I can't understand is why would this blower be set up like this? I can now tell that is has been "fiddled" with, just curious for what reason. I will keep you posted when I get it right. Al. :hide::D

P1090075.jpg

P1090072.jpg

Hey Al, what I did to mine won't work on yours. Looking at this pic your blower doesn't have the 2 holes in the front edge for the idlers. Matter of fact, the whole side of yours is different than mine.

Sorry if I got your hopes up.

I could give you a measurment for the holes if you want to drill them, just a 1/2" hole. I'm gone till Sunday PM but if Mike or someone else checks before I get back you can go from there.

qd-16

Tim, If you could give me the locations for the 1/2 inch holes that would be great! After doing some research on the Toro master parts viewer , I believe I have what appears to be a blower unit off a vertical shaft tractor with the mount setup to a 300 series tractor. Somebody has pieced this together thinking it would work. I think if I use the one idler I already have and with another idler I should be able to mount them in the position as in picture Mike gave me. I hope it will work.

Thanks for the help, Al.

catman81056

Hi Al, I just got back this evening, I plan on working in the garage tomorrow and I'll get you a measurement. :thumbs:

catman81056

Hi Al, you'll have to excuse my drawing skills but this is it in a nutshell. The bottom hole is acually a slot. Start with the center hole, 2 1/4" from the bottom and 2 1/4" from the bend radius. Drill this hole then drill another 1/2" lower( that would be 1 3/4" from the bottom and 1 3/4" from the rad) and another 1/2" higher( 2 3/4" x 2 3/4"). Drill close enough that you can knock the edges out with a file. You should end up with a slot roughly 1 1/2" long at about a 45 degree angle.

With the hard part done, drill hole #2, 2 1/4" in from the rad. and 9 3/4" from the bottom.

Refer to Mikes picture on how to run the chain, leave alittle play via the bottom idler and your good to go.

Click on the image for larger view.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v290/catman60957/?action=view

qd-16

Tim, Thanks a million for taking the time to measure that, I went to TSC and got my supplies tonight, Al. :thumbs: :whistle:

catman81056

Have fun using that blower :thumbs: