Sign in to follow this  
whlpny

Steering tip for Plowing snow!

whlpny

Some time ago I had a friend at work tell me that he did this little trick on his JD and it made the tractor hold the ground like it was on rails when angle plowing. I had told my Brother in law about it this fall so he decided to give it a try. Heres a couple pics so you can see what I 'm talking about. He has a 417 and sent me these pics- he says it does work- tractor plows snow like its on rails.

He simply took some #40 rolller chain, sized it to fit around the tire while uninflated. Then he aired it up while centering the chain in the tread. He says it stays right where it is without sliding off and works awesome. Just thought I'd pass this along in case someone wants to give it a whirl. I may try it on my C-120 and see what happens with the 54 In plow.

13868-Wheel_horse_Front_wheel_ch-1.jpg

13868-Wheel_horse_Front_wheel_chain.jpg

Kelly

And I just bought tire chains to put on my front tires, I may have to try that.

Teddy da Bear

I was wondering if it would offer "any" traction if put on

the rear tires? (bigger roller chain or worn out chainsaw chain?)

Sparky

I was wondering if it would offer "any" traction if put on

the rear tires? (bigger roller chain or worn out chainsaw chain?)

I doubt it Mike. I'll bet they will help with left and right slipping but not as much with forward and reverse.

Mike.......

poodle

hey let us know how well it does or doesn't work and maybe a vid if ya can I have that problem with mine it moves the snow but steering is a challenge I live I Taunton mass we've had some decent snow fall this year one storm about two feet and no problems yet well I did break a tire chain but she still moved no sweat I fixed her and no problems other than that slight set back

stevebo

anyone know where to get a good used set of these??

TT

anyone know where to get a good used set of these??

A good used "set" of worn out pieces of roller chain?

Ummmmmm..... it's not really something you normally buy used, but you could always check eBay or your local ATV / cycle shop. (if you have one)

CasualObserver

I'm with TT there... I'd start with motorcycle repair shops and perhaps a cycle salvage yard if you have one nearby. :hide:

HorseFixer

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing, I can see where that would work great on the fronts! :D I wonder how an Epoxy coated garage floor would hold up under that :hide:

stevebo

is that all they are is motorcycle chains?? that should be easy enough. my brother and i were just talking about how to get the front tires to stick when plowing. he was thinking of adding spikes but that would ruin a good set of tires. great idea, thanks for sharing...

bell

That is a GREAT idea! :hide: :D

perry

looks like a good idea. ill have to dig me up some chain and see if it works better than the tire chains i have on now.

ill put it to the test :hide: .

whlpny

I think I have some extra #30 roller chain on the shelve, I may see how that works. It's been a while since I bought it, but doesn't seem as if it was really too expensive. Tractor Supply Co is an easy walk in source for roller chain of several sizes. I wouldn't waste alot of time running around looking for used chain until I checked the price of new. Might not be worth the time and fuel!

If these guys tell me it works - I believe them so I think its worth a try!

Teddy da Bear

Doesn't have to be motorcycle chain.

I think bicycle chain would work the same.

linen beige

Cheap used roller chain source? Bicycle shop! Even cheaper source? Yard sale bicycles! Pick up a bike or two, pull the chains, and resell what's left (Probably could even make a profit.).

Stevebo mentioned spiked fronts. I recall seeing pics of a tractor for sale that had sheet metal screws put into the lugs of some rear ag tires and turf fronts. Long enough to hold but not so long that they punctured the tire. The guy claimed they were hard enough to grip ice, but soft enough not to damage his garage floor (Although I interpret that to mean the heads would wear off pretty quickly on a paved surface.).

Anybody ever try that approach?

TT

A bicycle chain is too narrow to support itself and would probably lay over the instant the front end started to push sideways. I'm sure it would be harder on the tires too - possibly breaking the cords due to the concentrated area of pressure. You could probably weld a few pieces side by side, but by the time you're done messing with it you could find/buy regular roller chain and have it installed.

Chainsaw chain is a definite no-no because of the drive teeth on the underside.

Is anyone running triple rib fronts on their plow tractors????? :hide:

Sarge

I took a long time to debate the steer tires , really wanted to use the 3 rib type in the front to complete the "baby farm tractor" look with the rear ags . Ended up getting a set of narrow ags for the front and haven't looked back - they track perfect and bite very well even on ice with the front wheel weights when plowing .

The roller chain idea is pretty cool .

Sarge

bitten

I just got new front turf tires for my D and am hoping with front wheel weights it should work good. If not I will certinatly try the roller trick.

Do the front weights help that much? I got them more or less just to have them but that was before I got a plow for the D and they wouldn't go on the 310-8 that I have used the past few years.

P.J.

linen beige

A bicycle chain is too narrow to support itself and would probably lay over the instant the front end started to push sideways. I'm sure it would be harder on the tires too - possibly breaking the cords due to the concentrated area of pressure. You could probably weld a few pieces side by side, but by the time you're done messing with it you could find/buy regular roller chain and have it installed.

Chainsaw chain is a definite no-no because of the drive teeth on the underside.

Not all bikes use the old tall, narrow chains anymore Terry. The ones on my daughter's bikes are much wider than they are tall, so they would work. I think you'de have to have them pretty tight and the tire aired up way too much to damage the cords.

But after seeing the link that Brian put up I wouldn't waste the gas to go "treasure" hunting.

Seems like I recall a thread about the tri ribs in which someone mentioned that they track pretty well in mud and snow.

I'm with ya on the chain saw chain! But at least with those deeth dug into the tread it wouldn't be too prone to slipping sideways. :D

catman81056

I just got new front turf tires for my D and am hoping with front wheel weights it should work good. If not I will certinatly try the roller trick.

Do the front weights help that much? I got them more or less just to have them but that was before I got a plow for the D and they wouldn't go on the 310-8 that I have used the past few years.

P.J.

I think the wheel weights will really help on everything except hard packed snow and on ice. I think thats where the chain on the tires would really shine.

Just my .02.

hoosier

I am. I like them. I don't feel any need to swap out for anything else. :D

whlpny

Well I checked my supply of #30 roller and fell shy by 3 inches of makeing it around one tire.Since the wife and I were going out on the town I hit the TSC and grabbed a 10ft package of #40 roller and a pack of connectors and spent $20.65. Hopefully I can get the stuff sized up Sat. and see what happens.

Coadster32

Do the front weights help that much?

I think you can get more weight by loading the tires with a liquid ballast. My 551 had loaded tires and weigh alot, probably 30lbs each. The weights I see are only 8lbs. I assume that with bigger tires, the same can be said. I'm curious about loaded 3-rib ties myself. :hide:

Duff

Didn't I see on a post somewhere that someone recommended the Snohog tires like Ariens and some other walk-behind snowchucker manufacturers use on their drive wheels? I've got a set on my Ariens and brother, do they dig in! I'm actually looking at a set for 312-8 #2 which will be my "off road" tractor! :hide:

Jusk a thought..... :D

Duff