953 nut

Where were you at 2:00 PM 53 years ago? Bet you remember if you are old enough.

953 nut

11-22-2016.jpg

• Like 7

clueless

Sitting at my desk in the fourth grade.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Jr Hi Band Practice

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

At school in the 9th grade wondering what was wrong with the world.

• Like 4

Racinbob

I was home from school that day. My mom was working in her home based beauty shop. The radio was on and I heard her say "Oh my God. He's been shot". 

• Like 2

SALTYWRIGHT

DRIVING ON I-95 TO WESTPORT, CT.

• Like 2

illinilefttackle

Walking back from classes thru the Amory @ University of Illinois, later we had a march thru campus to the Assemble Hall wearing Black arm bands on our uniforms (Air Force ROTC). Eye opening time of my Life.

• Like 2

squonk

I was at my grandparents house watching it on an old Black & White Zenith.

• Like 2

BESTDOGEVER

Rehearsing a play in 8th grade English class and likewise wondering what was wrong with the world 

• Like 2

953 nut

I was helping decorate the high school gymnasium for our Junior Prom when the announcement came over the PA. A couple of days before we had a career day at school; the Navy recruiter had given me some paperwork for my parents to look over, when I got home my mother had burned the papers! It was a very scary time for sure.

• Like 1

oldlineman

Eating lunch from my brown bag in 7th grade JBJ High School Boswell Pa. will never forget that day what a sad day.:(

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 2

Anglo Traction

I would've been in your equivalent of the 6th Grade at the time. It  would have been about 7pm my time and probably doing my Homework.

Also recall that promotion of the distribution/screening (in UK) of the Film PT109 soon after.

• Like 2

DougC

I was at Emerson elementary school in Indianola Iowa struggling with math problems when the intercom sounded and the principle made the announcement. I remember some of the girls started crying and the teacher left the room as we all just sat there looking at each other with our mouths wide open.

• Like 3

dcrage

Yes I remember -- I was sitting in Mrs McNew's 6th grade class at Striped College Elementary -- Someone's mother walked into the classroom and told us

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

I was eating lunch at school.  7th grade.  We heard rumors as we were finishing up.   A couple of hours later we where told by one of our teacher.  One of the strangest day of my life.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Delivering a loaf of iced raisin bread to Mrs Hildebrand. in Loganville, Pa. 

She was one of my customers on my J B Fishels Bakery route. 

She was so distraught, she had trouble telling me the sad news.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

In third grade. The whole school went out to the flag and did the pledge. Teachers were a wreck.

• Like 4

rmaynard

I was sitting in geometry class in the 8th grade. It was report card day too. I came home with 4 D's and my parents didn't even care. Lucky for me. 

• Like 5

Marv

I was on the flight line @ Shilling AFB (formerly smoky hill) returning a B47 to the ready line from our recovery section. Didn't know if we were going to have to use them.

Marvin

• Like 4

Bach-Ed

I was home and polishing my brass for tomorrow's ROTC drill platoon competition (which of course as cancelled).  When school resumed I was a member of the firing squad for the memorial  at the school.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

I was at Ross Elementary School (Gary, Indiana)  in  the sixith grade.   The secretary of the school came into the classroom and told our teacher something.  He indicated that the President had been shot and taken to the hospital in Dallas, Texas.  We wer all taken to the school cafeteria which had to large black and white televisions on wheeled metal stands.   When we started watching the TV's were on NBC I recall.  They were turned to CBS and that is when Walter Cronkhite announced that he had died at Parkland Hospital.  School was not released early.   We stayed in the cafeteria watching until 3:30 .   I lived a block from the school and walked home where we kept the TV on  through the funeral on Monday.  

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3

ztnoo

I was in the eighth grade in class (oddly enough, in history class I believe) at East School in Gas City , IN. The principal made the announcement on the intercom. We were then told to go to our combined 7th & 8th grade study hall. I think the administration was struggling with what they were going to do with us or say to us. A short time later we were all released to go home. Hardly a word was spoken from the time the announcement was made to the time we were dismissed. Everyone was in total, stunned, shock. I had turned 15 just the day before. The reality of life smacked us innocents in the face that day. I can remember Cronkite's reaction to it almost brought a seasoned hard nosed journalist/broadcaster to tears on national television. We almost encountered the same situation less than 20 years later when President Reagan was shot by John Hinckley.

• Like 2