876wheelhorse

gt 14 conversion

876wheelhorse

ok i have this gt14 that ive tried to sell many times so im thinking i may just make it the way i want it. i am wanting to put a 8 speed in it and run a hyd pump for the lift and eventually put a loader on it. i have read that putting a 8 speed in it id have to swap the axles out of the original hydro unit and put them in the 8 speed. i know the hubs are different and apparently the axles are longer also. So what kind of plate would have to be made for the top of tranny to mount in tractor? also how many gpm of a pump would i need to run the lift? i need answers and pictures. ive done alot of research on this but havent really seen pics of what has to be done. ill have to do something for a clutch also.

• Like 1

ztnoo

You need to communicate with Aldon about the tranny conversion.

Aldon

The fact that you have searched and not found a thread with step by step pointers may mean you have opportunity to forge and document for posterity.

It has been done but I also have not seen it documented well.

@fast88pu  has a GT14 that was similarly partially modified by the previous owner. He may be able to post pics in spring. Likely be in winter storage until then.

If you don't use longer axles, then the axles will stop short of the end of the Hubs about an inch and a half. I assume this might make the rear a bit weak. Or your rear end will be much narrower. Either or.

By plate for top, I assume you mean to adapt it for the fender and seat pan etc. Not sure anyone is going to be able to provide you a template. It will have to be figured out as you go. 

As @ztnoo mentioned I too am just getting started on this same conversion. I have a donor 1&1/8 axle 8 speed parted out and 2 hydro's similarly parted out. Been getting some coaching from @stevasaurus and will post a thread if I get to a significant milestone before you do. I have all new bearings, seals and gaskets and hope to get this put together over the holidays and try and get it installed in spring. 

My plan is to install with D series hubs and rims, also sourced to install 26x12-12 ags. 

Good luck on your conversion and if you get yours done first, post a how to thread for the next fella who like yourself is looking for tips and pointers.

a couple of pics cuz the readers demand them LOL

The tear down of hydrobl 1 and the second waiting anxiously for the same surgery. And IMG_1739.JPGIMG_1740.JPGIMG_1741.JPGIMG_1745.JPGthe 8 inch did as well as limited slip Hydro diff. Note difference in width.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

scotty

I was the one that did the conversion for the GT-14 that i sold to fast88pu. I used an 8 speed i believe it was from a c 175. The axles were a little short though. Didnt seem to effect anything when i owned it. It also has the inside rear weights.I did use the original GT-14 hubs too. If i remember right i used a piece of flat steel for the top transmission mounts.It was very solid. I did not get around to adding any kind of lift to it before i sold it though. Now i see this post it makes me want to make another one.

DSC_0653_zpsb2ulewyh.jpg

Edited by scotty
  • Like 3

mmmmmdonuts

I see you mention that you would want to eventually make it a loader. I would imagine having a hydro would be much than an 8 speed, just from a standpoint of not having to switch gears all the time and mess with the clutch. 

I don't know much about the hydros on the GT-14 but if it is hand controlled and you could turn it into foot control I believe it would be better for a loader.

In most applications I love having a 8sp but a loader I would much prefer a hydro. Just something to think about. Is the hydro bad on the tractor now? 

• Like 2

953 nut

I will be very interested in this one. My GT-14 with loader has a good hydro, but when you are switching from forward to reverse  (or visa-versa) at wide open throttle; as needed for a hydro; while the bucket is loaded and in the air it can be a thrill ride! A clutch that could be allowed to slip a bit could be a good thing.

• Like 2

fast88pu

IMG-20160807-00566.jpg

IMG-20160807-00564.jpg

IMG-20151205-00236.jpg

IMG-20151205-00240.jpg

IMG-20151205-00235.jpg

IMG-20151205-00238.jpg

• Like 3

876wheelhorse

Wow surprised to hear that you don't absolutely have to change axles but just the hubs. I suppose if you absolutely had to you could make a spacer to space wheel out a little. I'm curious on how the clutch had to be done? If this can be done fairly easy? I'm not really a hydro person you can do  so much more out of a gear drive in my opinion. I'm still trying to sell this with. No luck. I believe I found a pump it puts out a hair less than 5 gpm @ 3000 rpm. I was thinking to use that pump on the existing cylinder and valve until I figure everything out on the loader. I hope that will work out then at least I could push snow dirt etc. I'm just trying to figure everything out before I rip this apart... thanks for help and more pics would be awesome as they say a thousand words.....

• Like 2

Aldon

Plenty of pumps will likely work. Don't forget a reservoir. If it's not built in like with Chevy power steering pump.

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, 876wheelhorse said:

I believe I found a pump it puts out a hair less than 5 gpm @ 3000 rpm. I was thinking to use that pump on the existing cylinder and valve until I figure everything out on the loader.

That pump would work for a loader too if the PSI is above 1200 but may run the existing cylinder fast. I don't know if the lift valve has a relief valve on it you can adjust, but if so you might want to adjust it. Check the psi of that pump. Think a hydro trans runs about 700 psi but not sure of the flow rate.

Don't worry about a loader on an 8 speed, works perfectly fine and leaves both hands free to operate the loader and steer. Not too much shifting going on unless working a small area but even then it's not really an issue. It might be better with a hydro and definitely a foot control but I'm used to using one on an 8 speed.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Aldon said:

Plenty of pumps will likely work. Don't forget a reservoir. If it's not built in like with Chevy power steering pump.

Volume of the reservoir needs to be at least double the maximum volume of the cylinder, allows for some cooling and fluid expansion.

• Like 2

mmmmmdonuts
2 hours ago, 876wheelhorse said:

I believe I found a pump it puts out a hair less than 5 gpm @ 3000 rpm. 

What pump did you find? Depending on how you mount it make sure it has a side bearing inside the pump to handle the side load on the shaft. Here is a pump that should work well for a loader:

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200329712_200329712?hotline=false

953 nut
2 hours ago, 876wheelhorse said:

you don't absolutely have to change axles but just the hubs. I suppose if you absolutely had to you could make a spacer to space wheel out a little.

If you want to use your five hole hubs all you need is a pair of Ford Front Wheel Drive van rims with the same bolt pattern turned so they are inset toward the hubs. I did this on a 953 with an 8 speed, worked well.

• Like 2

876wheelhorse

I found a pump on bailyshydraulics.com I have to call and ask some questions about cylinders valves etc. I have to ask like pulley sizes which way the rotation is all of that. I still have to find out about clutch linkage brakes etc.. 

49 minutes ago, 953 nut said:
Edited by 876wheelhorse

scotty

The only thing that i remember standed out about the clutch was having to make the clutch rod out of threaded rod that i bent with a torch. There was a few parts that were a pain to do on the conversion but everything worked out.