ACman

520H front tires

ACman

Looking to buy some new tires for the 520H . Anybody running 16x6.50-8 turfs instead of the oem size 16x7.50-8 . The 6.50's are easier to find and cheaper . Also I can get matching set pretty cheap(all 4) if I go with the 6.50's . I've dealt with tires my who life and purchased 1000's of tires through Miller . Just looking to see if you 520 guys have any opinions before I pull the trigger . Thanks ACman

Edited by ACman

shallowwatersailor

The 16X7.50-8 will be wider than a 16X6.50-8 tire. But depending on manufacturer they do vary in height. I have a pair of 16X6.50-8 Vredstein V-61 tires that I am going to put on one of my 5xi. Specs say that they are as tall as the OE tires. It also has the 16X7.50-8 turfs so I will see how it goes.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I went with a pr off eBay for $80 to the door "Trac Gard N766" 16x7.50-8 on the bagger 520 I bought in August and rather happy with them so far , just looked and there is also a pr of 23x10.50-12 of the same brand for $156 to the door as the fronts for $65/pr right now, and yes I would stay with the original size just my :twocents-02cents: and the fact bigger looks better, Jeff.

IMAG2334.jpg

IMAG2335.jpg

IMAG2333.jpg

• Like 3

benji756

My 520H had the 6.50s on it when I bought it so thats what I replaced them with, I put ags on it just because I like the look of them, have you checked greater cleveland tire for prices?

• Like 1

ACman

I've found Hi-Run trurfs rears for under $100 delivered to the door from Home Depot  :confusion-shrug: how'd thought ...and fronts 6.5's for $47 that's cheap for the same tire from your local TSC's . RM brand turfs 7.5's from Miller are $65 , tread pattern looked the same (they emailed me some pics) also shipped free . I'll probably just go the later route for OE size . Now for a seat :think: ?

• Like 1

squonk

I'm going to cconvert my 520 to 4 lug hubs with narrow boat trailer wheels. Going to run 4.80 tri ribs on it for mowing. I run the same tire on my 1267. Really impressed on how much it's easier to steer. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Jeff, those Trac Gards I bought are Multi Mile brand ,I gave $80 for the pair total now they're $65 for a pair 7.50's then the tears for $155 so $220 total for all four really not a bad deal and they're 4 ply , now as for the seat I got mine from Northern Tool model V 818 high back basically same as my anniversary 520 O.E. but vinyl is softer on sale now $79+ S/H ,Jeff.

IMAG2483.jpg

• Like 5

Chevydave

Go with the matching size you have in a V-61 5 rib and you will not be disappointed, my original tires ( 416-8 ) "bounced" when I hit a root. With the V-61 with about 10psi stay planted. Bought them to help with snow blowing, haven't tried that yet. They have been great on the damp turf.

• Like 1

ACman

Ok , tires showed up from Miller Tire $65 to my door in one day and just ordered rears Hi-Run23x10.5-12 for $85 to my door from Walmart  . Tread patterns are identical . So a whole set of tires for $150 :) ! I may just order tubes and have the tires filled . Can't wait to see what she can do . Pics coming soon guys...promise !

Son just asked what I wanted for Christmas...I told him a seat  :woohoo: .

lynnmor
On 11/17/2016 at 7:32 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Jeff, those Trac Gards I bought are Multi Mile brand ,I gave $80 for the pair total now they're $65 for a pair 7.50's then the tears for $155 so $220 total for all four really not a bad deal and they're 4 ply , now as for the seat I got mine from Northern Tool model V 818 high back basically same as my anniversary 520 O.E. but vinyl is softer on sale now $79+ S/H ,Jeff.

IMAG2483.jpg

On Northern's website, the seat shows a bolt pattern on the back for armrests, but the FAQ's say there is none.  Is there holes on the back?

WVHillbilly520H
29 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

On Northern's website, the seat shows a bolt pattern on the back for armrests, but the FAQ's say there is none.  Is there holes on the back?

Yes it has the holes for the arm rest and it's 90% plus like the O.E. on my anniversary 520H and xi's, has extra mounting holes, softer more pliable vinyl covering,and drain holes,Jeff.

IMAG2620.jpg

IMAG2619.jpg

IMAG2621.jpg

• Like 3

lynnmor

Thanks for the reply about the seat.  My seats have failed at the bottom from flexing at the adjuster tracks.  I made up steel plates that go between the seats and the tracks to help with the problem, so far, so good.  Used .112" thick galvanized from McMaster-Carr.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

ACman

Well my my new tires all showed up . The fronts are Rubbermaster brand 16x7.5-8 from Miller Tire $65 delivered, and the rears are ( Hi-Run 23x10.5-12 Grass Master  4PR SUO5 ) $85 Walmart to my door . All are 4 ply tires . The treads are identical , even to my OTR brand on my Kubota . The Rubbermaster look like they be a little larger than the original Dico's . So if that's the case I probably end up buying ( Hi-Run 16x6.5-8's Grass Master 4PR SUO5 ) which are $44 delivered free to Walmart store or free with any order over $50 . So as of right now $150 for tires but if you go with the smaller fronts $129 (pretty cheap either way) . Still thinking tubes "loaded" is my best bet . I typed the tire size and brand just as they're listed on Walmart's site because there is other Hi-Run tires listed but at a higher price . 

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

Also received my new key switch . Now to get all together :)  ! Oh yeah I still need to pick out a seat .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 5

Sparky

Ahhh...nuttin like the smell of new rubber tires!

Mike......

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:I love walking into a farm store and smelling the new rubber...makes my wife sick so I guess tire scented perfume for her for Christmas is out!

I  guess I didn't realize you could even get GT tires from Wally World!?!?!  150 to the door is dirt cheap AC let us know how they mount up I may take your path. The rears on my 520 are getting there (cracked) and one won't hold air for over a few weeks. Tubes would fix that but for that kinda of coin....:think:

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

ACJeff, those green/white stickers on the rears look just like the ones from TSC @ $90+ ea and since there all made across the pond in the same factory with different sidewall molds, buy them wherever the cheapest, so far I'm happy with the first 2 I bought just don't air them up to recommended 24psi on side walls 10-15psi should be plenty in the fronts while mowing I air up 20+ when running the snow blowers,HBJeff. Also if you go with a noncorrosive fluid such as "Rimgard" or RV antifreeze you shouldn't need tubes plus you'll actually increase the amount you can add versus tubes and save a $ to boot just my :twocents-02cents:.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

lynnmor

If you are going to mount tubeless, they are hard to get started with the way they are collapsed.  If you have time, spread the beads apart as far as practical using lumber scraps or what ever you have.  Let them that way for days or as long as possible.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

My 2 fronts showed up the same way, some dish soap on the beads/wheels and no schrader valve installed using a "pistol grip" inflator end and squeeze the air till "pop pop" beads seated just fine installed valve and set pressure,Jeff.  And here's my dedicated 8" Wheel tire bead breaker (I know I should have made it adjustable but it works for me) do 1 side the flip over to other.

IMAG2326.jpg

IMAG2327.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 4

ACman

Yeah , I sure wish I still could do my own tires , I don't know how many I've mounted and repaired :tools-hammerdrill: . I didn't have the luxury off a powered tire changer :wacko: !

IMG_0810.PNG

air powered clamp and bead breaker ...even then you had those beads that didn't want to move  :ranting: ! My favorite were the old military tires we used for manure spreaders , those things were tough .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

ACman

Here's one with them all mounted up . He said they mounted up pretty easy . He used the old rear tubes put them in the new fronts blew them up and placed them by the wood stove :handgestures-thumbupright: . The rears were filled with RimGuard and he charged me $85 for everything , so that brings my total to $235 . Not to bad for four 4ply tires mounted and rears filled :) .

IMG_1603.thumb.JPG.68af10619307010840a4f54c906d62e4.JPG

Now to to get my new seat mounted with the new slides.

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4

Amcwheel85

Nice ACman! Looks a lot like my new 520! And I might buy 3 sets of those tires you have there for my C-81, 520 and cub 108. Thanks for the info on the cheap tires!

• Like 1

Chevydave

"Inexpensive/great deal.... cheap is a whole different thing. Looks great!

• Like 1

ACman

@WHX9 @Amcwheel85 and @Chevydave

:text-yeahthat:... the exact same rear tire from TSC is $79.99 for one tire...so that's cheap in my eyes :happy-partydance: ! Buy one get one for $5 from Wally World is a super good deal :thumbs2: . I see it says supply's are getting low , so better hurry . Here's a link to compare both...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hi-run-wd1044-23-x-105-12-in-4-ply-replacement-tire?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.walmart.com/ip/23x10.50-12-Turf-Tire/39088345

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

Amcwheel85

Thanks AC! Idk if I can afford all the sets I need at once but I'm gonna try to get at least 1 set for now. I would like to get turfs in a 12.50 wide for my daughters c81 after I get her the aluminum pulling wheels

Edited by Amcwheel85

ACman
15 minutes ago, Amcwheel85 said:

Thanks AC! Idk if I can afford all the sets I need at once but I'm gonna try to get at least 1 set for now. I would like to get turfs in a 12.50 wide for my daughters c81 after I get her the aluminum pulling wheels

Here you go...:) Not a 12.5"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HI-RUN-Turf-Saver-Tire-24x12.00-12-4PR/47086099

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HI-RUN-Turf-Saver-Tire-26x12.00-12-4PR/47086081

• Like 1