Al C.

Starter problem

Al C.

The starter gear on my K341 periodically fails to engage the flywheel gear.  This only happens after the engine has been running a while and is still hot.  The battery is new, heavy duty, and full charged.  The starter gear is clean and fully lubed.  Any thoughts?

IMG_6022.JPG

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Have you removed and disassembled the starter?I find that the bushings get dry,the brushes tend to stick,commutator gets a little dirty and things just don't work as they should.Take it apart,blow all the dust out,grease up the bushings,steel wool the commutator,lube the Bendix,and it will be good for another 25 years.

• Like 3

Al C.

I've never opened up the starter.  Sounds like a good rainy day project.  I'll give it a try - thanks!!!

Daddy Don

That is what I do to mine and it takes care of the problem.

clueless

It sounds like the whole thing is toast, it's a 2000 mile round trip for me but I'll take the tractor off your hands, I've got time:).

• Like 3

squonk
7 hours ago, clueless said:

It sounds like the whole thing is toast, it's a 2000 mile round trip for me but I'll take the tractor off your hands, I've got time:).

Hey Chris, I thought you don't like electricity? :confusion-confused::teasing-poke:

clueless

No I don't, but I'll take a shot at this one.

Tonyp

I have a similar issue right now with a 28 year old 310, excellent comments above, I know the starter motor spins but it is not engaging . It's been an on/off thing for a year or so now, I thought it was just the  starter going ,  Never thought of maintenance..but now that I think about it... :text-thankyoublue:

stevasaurus

This thread may help you when you take it apart.  :)  The starter should be the same...a "high mount" starter.

oldredrider

One VERY important thing to know before disassembling a starter, starters REQUIRE sufficient amperage to operate properly. Poor battery connections, poor solenoid connections, poor starter connections all reduce the amperage fed to the starter. I recommend all the above be checked with an OHM meter BEFORE taking a starter apart. Cleaning and lubing a starter is relatively simple, but why waste time when that is not what was needed? If you don't own an OHM meter, get one and learn how to use it. It will become one of your best friends when troubleshooting electrical problems. 

• Like 2