jellyghost

$27.50 what did I just get?

jellyghost

Because my wheel horse has been so much fun, I have been trying to learn more about engines and tractors.  There was an auction in my area, and it appears that I just won this Briggs and Stratton engine for $27.50.  What can you tell me about it? Do I need to buy a starter?  Junk or jewel?

BSE 1.jpg

BSE2.jpg

BSE3.jpg

BSE4.jpg

• Like 2

857 horse

Jelly,,,,,,,,,,,,looks like a rope pull to start it,,,,,I would drain the gas tank....clean it if it is gummed or varnished up....(( I use acitone ))  about a cup swish it around with some nuts and bolts...15-20 minutes,,,,drain it all out,,,dry it......until its clean....remount it....add in a new plug,,,,,and some gas,,,,set the choke and HIT IT !!!!!!.....if it don't hit,,,,spray a little carb cleaner in the carb....should fire off.......if it dont stay running.....the carb may have to come off  and be cleaned.....12 Horse.....thats got some power.!!!!!!

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 2

Achto
42 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

Because my wheel horse has been so much fun, I have been trying to learn more about engines and tractors.  There was an auction in my area, and it appears that I just won this Briggs and Stratton engine for $27.50.  What can you tell me about it? Do I need to buy a starter?  

That looks like a nice vintage Briggs. I agree with Howard that it is a rope start engine. Adding an electric start does not look like an option, unless you want to change the fly wheel add a stater and change the fan cowling. I would definitely change the oil, clean the fuel system and see if it will run. Good luck and have fun!

• Like 2

jellyghost

Thank you for all of this advice!  Do you guys think it came out of a garden tractor?  Do you think the owner was using it for something mounted on this cart?

oldredrider

If there is a serial number on it, you might be able to get Briggs and Stratton customer service to tell you what it originally powered. 

• Like 2

squonk

Get it running, slide it over on the cart, hook a belt to the wheels, override the governor and see  how fast it goes! :) :banana-gotpics:

• Like 7

KC9KAS
7 hours ago, achto said:

That looks like a nice vintage Briggs. I agree with Howard that it is a rope start engine. Adding an electric start does not look like an option, unless you want to change the fly wheel add a stater and change the fan cowling. I would definitely change the oil, clean the fuel system and see if it will run. Good luck and have fun!

It would use a starter generator with a belt to the flywheel where the pull-rope would wrap.

We have a B&S 14 hp that is made the same. The fuel tank is hiding the S/G bracket bolt holes. The tank would have to be relocated.

• Like 4

Ken B

You did real well on that Briggs, looks to be in real nice shape. Perfect engine for a tractor or a log splitter...

Achto
2 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

It would use a starter generator with a belt to the flywheel where the pull-rope would wrap.

We have a B&S 14 hp that is made the same. The fuel tank is hiding the S/G bracket bolt holes. The tank would have to be relocated.

Good call! I forgot about the starter/gen option. Which is strange because I don't have very many engines with a Bendix style starter.

10 hours ago, jellyghost said:

Thank you for all of this advice!  Do you guys think it came out of a garden tractor?  Do you think the owner was using it for something mounted on this cart?

Not sure what the PO might have used it for. You could put it on a tractor if you find a good candidate. I would get it running good first then find it a job to do.

• Like 1

lynnmor

I believe that B&S used that gold colored paint on replacement engines.  It may not have come off anything, but instead was purchased for a project never completed.  Has anyone ever seen the gold color on equipment as purchased?

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

That appears to be a cast iron, ball bearing engine, one of the really good ones! If you have never taken one of those Flo Jet carburetors apart before there is more to it than taking the 4 screws out of the bowl, Here is a good link that shows the disassembly process. http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_large_two-piece_flo-jet.asp

• Like 3

Don1977
34 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I believe that B&S used that gold colored paint on replacement engines.  It may not have come off anything, but instead was purchased for a project never completed.  Has anyone ever seen the gold color on equipment as purchased?

Briggs used that color for engines sold to the public for quite a few years.

DougC

I was going to guess you bought a T bone steak with your $27.50. :lol:

You will have more fun with the 12 horse I bet!   :handgestures-thumbupright:

squonk

Doug, I'll give you $6.50 for a steak, mac salad and a Coke! :)

Elkskin's mower junkyard

my sears suburbans have cast iron briggs they are power houses. alot of torque. downside is the gas usage. that pulley on flywheel side is a s/g pulley. but can use a rope lol

• Like 1

jellyghost
14 hours ago, lynnmor said:

It's an interesting color.  It is kind of a dust rose, but it has a little shine to it.  

I picked it up today, and it was much heavier than I thought it would be!  I was able to load it, and while unloading it, my neighbor came over.  He had two similar old engines that were directly linked to generators.  That would be an interesting use, but I just hope to get it running first.

The seller included a photocopy of an  "Illustrated Parts List" for models:  80200 to 80299 and 81200 to 81299.  But... the picture below shows model number:  800421.  There is a hand written note about a model 80202 from the previous owner.  The parts list looks similar to this engine but smaller, and it isn't quite right.

IMG_2027.JPG

Elkskin's mower junkyard

first digit is a 3 thats a 30 cubic inch bore

jellyghost

I just found a resource that explains the model number, type, and code.  This engine was made in 2/9/1970.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/content/dam/briggsandstratton/na/en_us/Files/Numerical_Designation_System.pdf

16 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

first digit is a 3 thats a 30 cubic inch bore

Oh!  That makes more sense, and that allowed me to find the correct parts diagram.

Edited by jellyghost

857 horse

In 1970 i was just 15,,years old !!!!,,But I'd rather find the line for the $6.50 Steak,,and can i get baked beans on the side.???...oh,,and a Diet Coke.....:banana-explosion::banana-explosion:

Edited by 857 horse

Elkskin's mower junkyard
5 hours ago, 857 horse said:

In 1970 i was just 15,,,,But I'd rather find the line for the $6.50 Steak,,and can i get baked beans on the side.???...oh,,and a Diet Coke.....:banana-explosion::banana-explosion:

that sir where you are mistaken. 12 and 13hps were made for multiple years. but on the 32 inch line that a 15 is. heres what years where what hps 70 and early 71s were 14s, 72s 15 and anything after that in the 32 cubic inch line was 16. the 15 was a 1 year only engine by briggs. but lets not confuse this guy. but i got 2 12s one is a 73 other is a 72. and then i got ohhh 1 15 few 14s and few 16s sorry i READ THIS WRONG lol. i really need new glasses i think lol

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 1

Tuneup

Found an old 75, copper colored, 3HP at an estate sale which couldn't have 10 hours on it. I don't walk by without starting it. Needs to be mounted and doing something - maybe running on an abandoned railroad. Loving the old Briggs.

Get her running a find a purpose!