eibbed

Removal of broken bolt in foot rest

ohiofarmer

How to CENTER a hole for tapping.

I had a motorcycle crank shaft with a broken bolt that was broken off below the surface. Here is how I centered the drill in the hole.

First, I found a cheap socket just a tad too big for the bolt size. Then I chucked it in a drill to spin it and dressed the outside diameter down a bit to fit the hole snugly.

It just so happened that the socket had a round hole in the center that the more expensive sockets normally do not have, so that served as the drill guide. After drilling the hole with the centering jig, i drilled it again with the larger size required for the easy out. It worked and saved me from an engine teardown to replace a crankshaft in a motorcycle engine. About 20 minutes or so total work time. They make Easy-outs with finer threads that I think are better than the original style

https://www.amazon.com/SpeedOut-Damaged-Screw-Extractor-Bolt/dp/B00IRL3WP4/ref=pd_lpo_60_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X1HS1KTP6JQFBGBZXEY4

Read the customer reviews and note that I used a regular drill bit and not the bit that is on one end of the tool. I think drilling deeper by a bit might make a difference. I would also say that get the very best quality that you can afford and the link I posted might not be this exact brand of tool as I borrowed the tool from a friend --then used common sense not to break it off in the hole.

Even if you are gonna drill out the entire bolt and collapse the threads, remember this method to center the hole.

And=== BTW+++Hacksaw IS a hero!

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

ranger

One thing to be careful of with "easy outs" is using one that is too big compared to the broken bolt / stud you are trying to remove. If the hole you drill leaves too little metal left, you run the risk of the tapered " easy out" expanding the broken bolt in the hole and acting like an  expanding anchor bolt in concrete. The ones I use are shaped like " Torx" bits, you drill a smaller hole, hammer the bit in, then use a socket wrench to undo. Some people I know actually use cheap "Torx" bits for this purpose.

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

I'm glad that I could be of service and it helps you get your machine back together. 

Mark. 

• Like 2