tonyvaughn

42ST01 shaft bearings

tonyvaughn

Hello, I have a 1974 C-160 automatic with a 42ST01 snow blower that I am in the process of rebuilding. Had to use a torch to remove both outer shaft bearings and tooth sprocket which I am going to replace? My question is are both outer bearings the same or do they have a different part number, also is there anything special about the pulleys, I would like to purchase all new pulleys, sprockets and chain. Any part numbers or places to purchase these items would be much appreciated other then Toro. Thanks

• Like 1

Walt

If you add 76- to the front of your 42st01 for 76-42ST01 and go to https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en this web site you can see a parts break down for a 1977 42" snow thrower. I am not sure that is the exact model and year but from the info you provided this is as close as I found doing quick search on http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/z_Other/AA_WH_Interchange_1955-_00.pdf. If the bearings your looking for are ones on drive shaft that have pulley and sprocket on it they should be available from motion industries, they also sell chain and sprockets. Not sure on availability of pulley. I bought a 10ft. box of #40 chain for my project from them since it will make 2 chains it may be the same in you if what I viewed looking at the first web site is like your thrower. I would recheck your model number the one you posted does not appear to come up with out adding the 76- to it you need the 2 digits added they jump by 10 per year of thrower manufacturing so 77 is 76- , the year 78 is 86-, the year 79 is 96, the year 80 is 06-, and so on till they started a new model number and sequence.

Lagersolut

< When I went over the one pictured in my AV,  purchased my box of # 40 chain ( 10 ft ) at TSC for 20 bucks   ( Toro wanted around 100 bucks for theirs )  TSC also had 17 tooth 40 chain idler sprockets  I read on here some guys used to replace the 40 chain 18 tooth that were in my model blower  , but I found an after market set of 18 tooth on the Bay.  The belt -drive-guide - tension pulleys were still available through Toro . The outer shaft bearings I also bought on the bay after I had the part number and they were after market equivalents also set me back about 30 each if I remember right  .

Lagersolut

Edit - My memory is failing me , turns out I didn't get my shaft bearings on the Bay - went through my  Paypal receipts and now I remember these were hard to get , bought them at a place called " find it parts "  with the Timkin part number in this thread which resulted a phone call from them that they were no longer available, ... but they were able to cross ref to another manufacture they had one set left that they were sure would fit but if not they would pay shipping and full refund if not .

Here's the thread I used discussing these illusive bearings and the change from the 3/4 to 7/8 shaft .

Lots of good info here .

rmaynard

Tony,

This is your neighbor over on Chapel Road. Look at the diagram below and point out which parts you need. 

Bob

snowthrowparts.png

Even though you have been a member since 2013, with this being your 1st post, let me be the first to say :WRS:

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :handgestures-thumbsup:    :text-+1: 

:WRS:

roadapples

Yeah, what took you so long... :WRS:

doc724

I just had to buy a drive pulley for my tall chute blower.  The pulley was just slightly bent, (maybe .100 TIR) but since I cannot afford breakdowns in the middle of a storm, I decided to spring for a new one....until I saw that Toro wanted $100 for it.  (my drive pulley is 7/8 ID-not as common as 3/4).  I spent over two hours searching on line and finally out of desperation went to the well known auction site.  Found one for $25 including shipping.  Cannot speak to the quality yet as it is in transit.  When you do an online search type "OD" x "ID" x "keyway width".  Just be careful, there are a lot of die cast pulleys out there.  You want steel with a welded hub or cast iron.  Cast iron ones are about $50

• Like 1

DougC

Hello and   :text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum.

I replaced a driveshaft bearing a year ago on my '78 short chute single stage snow thrower and paid around $80 at the Toro Dealer.

I bought everything else I needed on the bay for less than that 1 bearing from Toro.  I was new here... What can I say?  Enjoy the forum!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by DougC

tonyvaughn

Thanks to all for the great information, this is actually my first time sending in a request for some help on this forum. What a great resource to have, Bob I will give you a shout or stop by over the next couple weekends. Tied up this coming weekend. I am looking for all (3) pulleys, chain sprocket, bearings on both ends of the shaft and a chain, I did read your post Bob which seems much more cost effective. Talk to you soon. 

• Like 2

doc724

Tony, here is an update on my pulley which arrived today.  Looks fine, maybe the pulley material is a tiny bit thinner than the Toro pulley (that means it will only last 20 years v. 25).  Hub is welded on both sides (Toro is only one side)  Go to USApulley.com.  This is the site for the pulleys.  If you buy direct you save 5%