briankd

burnt horse

briankd

was going to use my C 120 to pull around my yard sweeper tomorrow picking up leaves  so figured I make sure it started up tonight. it fired up but didn't run right smoked real bad. kept messing with it  and noticed something dripping out front.

here was a steady stream of gas running out air cleaner straight down onto the hot muffler. the gas was burning off and smoking wow was I thinking this was going to go up in flames hurried up shoved it out of my building so it wouldn't burn my building down. think if been mowing the muffler been a lot hotter and maybe I wouldn't have a horse no more least it would been out in yard not in the building.

my K 181 did this but it all went into the crank case this didn't pulled the carb and it wasn't wet that bad in intake oil level good (just put new oil in it) all went out air cleaner. now this has happened im getting rid of the stock muffler and putting a stack on it. I did find an used carb kit I had that the needle and seat still good went and put it in and seems ok for now.

anyone had this happen? did anyone have a fire?

Dan Hankins

My carb on my sk486 did the same thing but I have a stack on mine so it just dripped on the frame.

briankd
Just now, Dan Hankins said:

My carb on my sk486 did the same thing but I have a stack on mine so it just dripped on the frame.

yep I think that is the best thing to do

DougC

Glad to hear you, the tractor and the property did not suffer any fire damage. Glad there was no spark involved to ignite the fumes!  :)

• Like 2

Hacksawhero123

Might check your float. I had cracked floats on a k161 and K341 at the same time a few weeks ago. 

Mark. 

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

Float is probably to blame, sometimes the float will take on gas and not float anymore, so the needle can't shut it off. Other times, its dirt that is the cause. Last one I bought ran fine till I ran it completely out of gas, them it dumped a bunch of crap out of the tank and into and line and carb. Ended up cleaning tank, new fuel line and filter and cleaning the carb. 

Randy

• Like 3

Wishin4a416

Glad everything turned out OK as far as a fire or destruction.

briankd

used it today picked all my leaves up with it about 4 hours worth of running and since I put the different needle/seat in it.   it was fine. it is a SMOKER  though guess it is going to need a rebuild. this is the first time I used it and wow does this thing vibrate @ idle the hood just sits and shakes but off idle it ok don't seem as smooth running as my k 181. went and got my 857 out and did back yard and what a diff in tractors my 857 so smooth and no rattles and with loaded tires on my 857 it has better ride also. my old 857 still my favorite.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, briankd said:

used it today picked all my leaves up with it about 4 hours worth of running and since I put the different needle/seat in it.   it was fine. it is a SMOKER  though guess it is going to need a rebuild. this is the first time I used it and wow does this thing vibrate @ idle the hood just sits and shakes but off idle it ok don't seem as smooth running as my k 181. went and got my 857 out and did back yard and what a diff in tractors my 857 so smooth and no rattles and with loaded tires on my 857 it has better ride also. my old 857 still my favorite.

briankd  Try running Lucas oil additive in it  be fore rebuild about 40/ 60%  with oil. That should  do the trick. I had a 308-8 like that it help cut the smoke down 70%

• Like 1

WheelHorse79

Same thing happened to my C-101.  When my Father passed away, it sat for a few years and the gas dried up in the carb bowl.  This caused the float to stick to the bottom of the bowl and gas just shot out of the carb onto the muffler.  Luckily, I took the carb apart and figured out what happened before it caused a fire.  I also noticed that the fuel line runs next to the block behind the muffler.  If a bad enough leak springs in the fuel line, a bad fire could start here as well.  It pays to keep the entire fuel system inspected and repaired especially as these tractors get older and things rot and deteriorate.

Edited by WheelHorse79
  • Like 1