Dball

? On a dumb mod some one did on my 520hc

Dball

K guys i had purchased a  520hc from a guy knowing thay he or who ever had taken the swept axle off the front of the tractor and replaced it with a non swept axle y would some one do that ah any way i tryed to mount my 48 in mower deck to it as i wanted to see how shee mowed when.i.went to.put the belt around the pto wasnt long enough  so im unsure  on what is going on i cant see the changing of the axle change the length of my mule drive belt would it🤔or could the guy had put a mule on from a.different.machine.are all the mule drive belts the same or differ in length.this may be a dumb ? But i am a new wheel horse addict i am stanting to thing i need help with my habbit lol here is a pic of the tractor 

20161030_113335.jpg

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Its possible that early year 520 you have did not have the swept axle. I figure it is an early one by the Burgundy stripe hood. The swept axle started in 90 I believe.

• Like 1

DougC

I agree Jack.

My 88 has non swept and my 95 has swept.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

The one pictured looks like an 88 or 89.

Dball

It is an 89 520 hc when i get home i will tak a pic of the steering  up front as to me it looks tamperd with becouse their are 3 holes in the plate the tie rods hook into but guy said that the swept axle was taken off but even at that y would the belt change as said i am new know a little but not everything i thought the swept axle started in 89 ?

cleat

HC would have came with a swept axle.

Need more pictures to figure your belt issue.

Cleat

DougC
17 minutes ago, cleat said:

Sorry, I missed the hc part.

Both of mine are 520H.

squonk

As far as I know, all the swept axle does is allow you to run a 60" deck.

AMC RULES

20161030_113335.thumb.jpg.c6ee34f34f44611d027b653474491ac2.jpg

DougC

You say you have 48 inch deck. Is it possible the mule drive and belt you have are for a 60 inch deck? 

Ed Kennell

Motion control on the console makes it an '88 or '89 with no factory swept axle.

Are you trying to use the spring loaded mule that was designed for the 60" deck?

This mule may require a longer belt than a non-spring mule.

GMan

DBall

I have a 520HC of that same vintage with the vertical stick forward/reverse lever and it has the swept axle. I also have an '89 520H and it doesn't. Yours doesn't appear to have the deeper dish (8.5" wide) rear wheels either. The straight front axle you have would only allow the wheel type that is on it whereby the HC model had the heavier front wheel bearing setup. Is it possible the hood has been changed on your tractor and it is actually an H opposed to the HC like the hood indicates?

Gary

Dball

I dont think its a mule with the 2 pullys side by side i will post pics here really soon the sam deck is what i use on the 520h that i have maybe i will pull the mule from it and see if the belts are the same size then try the mule off of my 520h on the 520hc and see if it works the deck works mounts ect  on my 520h but on the 520hc with a different  mule the belt wont reach the pto however if i try the mule from my 520h and the belt is still to short then their would have to be somthing serious wrong or somthing 

Wishin4a416
15 hours ago, cleat said:

Need more pictures to figure your belt issue.

Cleat

Learn something new here everyday. I thought the swept axle did not appear until 90. I have never seen an HC in person so didnt know that. Thanks.

MalMac

HC had swept axel , the 90 H had swept axel regular fan gear sterring. Sterring reduction was not put on till 91. Reduction came about because the 60 inch deck and 2 stage snowblower were so heavy that it made sterring difficult.

• Like 1

Tankman

My '90 520-8 has the forward swept axle.

IMG_0010.JPG

Dball

I took the mule from my  520h and all worked out so i take it that depending on the sise of the mower deck or particular tractor determined the belt length that is on the mule 

Horse Newbie

What does the c stand for in 520 hc ?

varosd

C stood for Commercial

it was also on 418-C

no frills and came with the mega 60inch deck starting in 1988.  so it had the swept front axle, the wider tires and faster hydro

Edited by varosd
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie

I have a 1994 520h. It has the forward swept axle, but no "c". Is this correct ? So, in other words, you could have a 520h, or a 520hc, and both would have the forward swept axle ?

Edited by Horse Newbie

stevebo
12 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I have a 1994 520h. It has the forward swept axle, but no "c". Is this correct ? So, in other words, you could have a 520h, or a 520hc, and both would have the forward swept axle ?

Yes the 520 HC were produced in 88 and 89 only

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

My 1990 520H has the front swept axle as well. Engine is a 1989 manufactured P220G-I/10955C and has the transaxle mounted transmission (2 separate units bolted together). The 1991 has the same engine but different trans. One big case with trans and axle together. Floor motion level as opposed to the column motion level and hydraulic lever. 

Yes, different belts for different decks. I would assume that if any mule has different  pulleys than others, it very well may use a different belt. 

Horse Newbie

So what does the "c" in 520HC stand for ?

Horse Newbie

Sorry, this question was answered above