scotty

Rear cable

scotty

What diameter is the rear cable on a wheel horse brinley hitch. I just bought 3/32 and i put some pressure on it and it snapped pretty easy. Also any ideas for how to make a cheap one up would be awesome.

pfrederi

I believe you need  1/8"  1x19 wire rope. If you know someone with high tensile wire fencing they probably have a crimping tool that would work to put on the compression sleeves.

scotty

Does it matter if i use the plastic coated kind?

pfrederi

Can't say but would be hard to put a compression sleeve on it.Insert other media

stevasaurus

Lowell @wheelhorseman1000 is a vendor here and sells what you need.  You could send him a PM.  :)

• Like 4

KC9KAS
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Lowell @wheelhorseman1000 is a vendor here and sells what you need.  You could send him a PM.  :)

This was going to be my suggestion!

• Like 1

scotty

Looks like thats the best route. They look heavy duty. Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

Sarge

Making your own cable is a lot harder than anyone thinks - it takes a hydraulic compression tool to properly crimp the cable end stops , those rotary units start around $1500 and up . Sleeve type ends will work but will eventually fail and it's rare to find one that will meet or exceed the cable's rating .

Sarge

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Lowell  makes replacement lift cables for the Wheel Horse tractors tha are better than the original -no doubt about it.  !  

AND, if you need a custom cable he can make to your specifications.     Also he has the Hein Werner pump internal springs and a lot of other goodies he makes too!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

Sarge

Amen that , I have a replacement rear cable for my 1277 since it's original is about to snap and frayed badly . His new one is a work of art for sure , excellent quality .

Hats off to Lowell for taking this on , not a cheap project nor easy in any sense ...

Sarge

• Like 3