WheelHorseNut

What do you think this D180 is worth?

WheelHorseNut

Hey guys!  Any thoughts as to what this D180 might be worth?  Or, I guess, what would you pay for it?

It supposedly runs and drives well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by WheelHorseNut
  • Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I can't give a value, but, I do like the way most of the metal looks straight and nice. I see the ding or dong on the right rear fender. Always liked these Big D machines. I missed a refreshed, very well done one a few months back for 1400. I should have leaped, but I slept. Will follow the thread, see what the pros say. Best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

No expert, but there was one on Michigan CL last week for $1500 - way better shape looks wise, with a deck - and its gone now (no idea what it actually sold for), so...

• Like 2

KC9KAS

I have a D-200 and it came with a tiller, rear mower, 3 pt lift, new rear ags, and a loader (that needs work) for 1400.

The only real problem with mine is the steering is sloppy.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Looks about same condition as the one I recently paid 400 for.But mine already got 2 new,used mufflers,2 new front tires,and a new,used seat.Plus mine has some wiring that a real "professional" worked on and will probably need to be mostly re-wired.Oh yeah,mine needed a battery too.

WheelHorseNut

@JERSEYHAWG / Glenn Thanks Glenn!  I'll let you know if I get it.

@KC9KAS That seems like it was a good deal!  I'd love one of these with a loader!

@Pollack Pete That is the ballpark this one is in.  They're asking 500.  I'm thinking about getting it...the cheapest I've ever seen one was $450 and in a little better shape.  That got snatched up in a hurry.

Thanks for the input guys!  So, it basically seems to be reasonably priced in its current condition...

pfrederi

I would not spend very much on an older hydro unless I had the opportunity to work it get it warm and see if she maintains power.  e.g. spin her rear wheel on pavement when up againt a wall...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

pacer

The big D's are sorta like the black hoods, some like em like me:lol: - and others not so much!

As mentioned, the hydro tranny and steering are usually the biggies - the steering is a relatively easy and cheap fix, the tranny can be another story:-o Also worth mentioning is the twin Kohler on the 180 & 200, overhaul parts like connecting rods are VERY difficult to find, unlike the single cyl Kohlers.

So having said that, if it is indeed a running, driving 180 then $500 is not a bad price at all - negotiate the price tho, after all, it doesnt have the 3 point hitch!

• Like 1

WHX??

I would go look at it at the very least 'Nut. Just cause you ain't hungry don't mean you can't look at the menu!

Hydro aside I would bet a D like that would make for an awesome plow tractor! Sorry .....:hide:......the ags & my current Brinly/plowing addiction made me say that! !

Tankman

Passed last year on a D-200 with mower deck. Kickin' myself. Kept in a barn, owner picked up a zero turn. Was asking $1,000.00.

Have heard difficult to get parts; Italian, German, French. :think:

Edited by Tankman

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Passed last year on a D-200 with mower deck. Kickin' myself.

Have heard difficult to get parts; Italian, German, French. :think:

are you sure you are not thinking of a D250 which was made in Germany??

WheelHorseNut
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I would not spend very much on an older hydro unless I had the opportunity to work it get it warm and see if she maintains power.  e.g. spin her rear wheel on pavement when up againt a wall...

That's a good tip and I will definitely see if I can do that when I go look at it.  Thank you for that!

33 minutes ago, pacer said:

The big D's are sorta like the black hoods, some like em like me:lol: - and others not so much!

As mentioned, the hydro tranny and steering are usually the biggies - the steering is a relatively easy and cheap fix, the tranny can be another story:-o Also worth mentioning is the twin Kohler on the 180 & 200, overhaul parts like connecting rods are VERY difficult to find, unlike the single cyl Kohlers.

So having said that, if it is indeed a running, driving 180 then $500 is not a bad price at all - negotiate the price tho, after all, it doesnt have the 3 point hitch!

I'm with you, Pacer, I like 'em!

I have heard about the hydro's being expensive to fix... I didn't know about the scarcity of the rods, though.  Good info!  That is true about the 3 pt. hitch...

12 minutes ago, WHX8 said:

I would go look at it at the very least 'Nut. Just cause you ain't hungry don't mean you can't look at the menu!

Hydro aside I would bet a D like that would make for an awesome plow tractor! Sorry .....:hide:......the ags & my current Brinly/plowing addiction made me say that! !

I agree -- I think I'm going to go check it out... I'll let you know if I can get there soon and, if so, how it goes.

WHX??

:auto-layrubber::banana-gotpics::wwp:

Tankman
15 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

are you sure you are not thinking of a D250 which was made in Germany??

Yes. Was the German manufactured D-250. Oops. 

82Caddy

I guess it all depends what you want it for.  

Attachments are d series specific and can be difficult to find.  Turning radius is not the greatest (ie it takes a good size area to turn around in).  There are a few "fixes" for the slopping steering box.  It's used on several other brand tractors (some JD and some Cub Cadets).  As mentioned the engine parts are hard to come by and if you do find them, they're not cheap.

Hydro parts can be difficult to find, but if you do some research you can find cases, axles and other parts that'll swap in from C series tractors.

I like my D series tractors.  One has a loader with predator twin and power steering.  The other has a 16hp kohler and a 48in snowblower.  The blower with chuck snow a good distance without much issue.  Being a single stage it doesn't like the wet heavy stuff.

DennisThornton

I was reading with much interest and trying to conjure up something of value to comment about, but I was struggling since I've never owned one.  

But I do want one!  If I didn't already have my NH and Power King I would say that I not only want but need one!  But I don't...  However, I think the D-Series is the most serious GT WH even made.  I love my 5XXxis but honestly, while beefy, they are not really GTs in my book.  (I may catch some for that comment!)  To me a GT infers the ability to lift ground engaging rear mounted equipment with some sort of lift.  My 5XXxis have no lift, but one or both might get a sleeve hitch!  But the D-series also had optional front and rear PTOs!  That is really significant to me!  If I found a D-Series with a 3-point and both PTOs I might not be able to resist a bargain.  But then trying to find attachments for both front and rear PTOs, all the other harder to find than the Classic Series attachments, the loose steering, the wide steering, the harder to find and fix hydros.  OK, I don't want one now...

Keep them away from me!  Please!  I'm trying to quit! 

• Like 1

Thor27

That's a good looking tractor. 

WheelHorseNut
17 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

But I do want one!  If I didn't already have my NH and Power King I would say that I not only want but need one!  But I don't...  However, I think the D-Series is the most serious GT WH even made.  I love my 5XXxis but honestly, while beefy, they are not really GTs in my book.  (I may catch some for that comment!)  To me a GT infers the ability to lift ground engaging rear mounted equipment with some sort of lift.  My 5XXxis have no lift, but one or both might get a sleeve hitch!  But the D-series also had optional front and rear PTOs!  That is really significant to me!  If I found a D-Series with a 3-point and both PTOs I might not be able to resist a bargain.  But then trying to find attachments for both front and rear PTOs, all the other harder to find than the Classic Series attachments, the loose steering, the wide steering, the harder to find and fix hydros.  OK, I don't want one now...

Keep them away from me!  Please!  I'm trying to quit! 

Hahah, Dennis, I'm with you...I will have one at some point.  If it's not this one, it'll be another one!

12 hours ago, Thor27 said:

That's a good looking tractor. 

It is pretty good...it definitely has had its time in the sun... It gone pink!

DTOM

You better hurry up and grab it. I love my "D's".