jellyghost

Fix-a-Flat and Heat Shields

jellyghost

Here are two unrelated questions.  

I have a 1978 tractor with original tires.  One of the front tires leaks, and it shows creases and cracks.  Can I shoot it full of something like Fix-a-Flat to firm it up?  If not, is there another fix like an inner tube or something?

My old head like wire had a heat shield where it ran up the front of the grill.  The old shield is brittle and unusable.  Can I use foil tape (the type used for HVAC work) to insulate my 12 gauge wire?  If not, is there an affordable heat shield?  

RandyLittrell
10 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

Here are two unrelated questions.  

I have a 1978 tractor with original tires.  One of the front tires leaks, and it shows creases and cracks.  Can I shoot it full of something like Fix-a-Flat to firm it up?  If not, is there another fix like an inner tube or something?

My old head like wire had a heat shield where it ran up the front of the grill.  The old shield is brittle and unusable.  Can I use foil tape (the type used for HVAC work) to insulate my 12 gauge wire?  If not, is there an affordable heat shield?  

Tubes is probably your best bet unless you pick up thorns in the tires, then Green Slime is the hot ticket. 

Randy

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Fix a flat is nasty when you do go to replace tires.

I would echo Tankman's comment and get new tires with tubes...I just did it this past year and am very glad I did...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

jellyghost
3 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Fix a flat is nasty when you do go to replace tires.

I would echo Tankman's comment and get new tires with tubes...I just did it this past year and am very glad I did...

:twocents-02cents:

Can I put tubes in my current tires or are you suggesting new tires with tubes?

Howie

Put tubes in the tires you have, unless they are split badly.

• Like 2

jellyghost
2 minutes ago, Howie said:

How do I go about finding or ordering the tubes?

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, jellyghost said:

Can I put tubes in my current tires or are you suggesting new tires with tubes?

Don't know how bad yours are, but with mine, just trying to break the bead so I could put tubes on trashed them...Ended up replacing them - new tubes and tires...

39 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

How do I go about finding or ordering the tubes?

Tractor Supply is where I got mine...Online probably cheaper...

• Like 1

Tankman

Local scrapyards often have riding mowers and/or tractors with decent mounted tires and wheels. I would go take a peek-a-boo! ;)

Price is usually decent, low $$.

Or try Miller. http://www.millertire.com/  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Tankman

ohiofarmer

If you remove the tires that are pretty much welded to the bead, try a propane torch against the steel rim right at the bottom of the bead. Play the torch over about a 12 inch radius , A few minutes will pass and when you see the first whiff of white tire smoke, break the bead. It sounds crazy, but far less damage will happen to the tire and the paint will still remain on the rim.    Have fun!

Rural King is worth a look for good prices on tubes

Edited by ohiofarmer

SPINJIM

I strongly recommend that you NOT use Fix-a-flat or Slime to fix leaks.   I bought a tractor recently, and the PO bragged about putting Slime in the front tires.  It leaked out of all of the cracks in the sidewalls, and made a mess on my garage floor.    I took the tire off, and had to clean out all of the green Slime (fortunately it's water-soluble) and it was a real mess.   Some commercial tire dealers refuse to work on tires that have Slime in them.    I put new inner tubes in because I wanted to save the original tires, and it took care of the problems.  

I get my inner tubes from M.E.Miller tire, and try to order four at a time to keep the shipping cost down.   But Tractor Supply is good too, but sometimes they don't carry the size I need.

I keep a spray bottle of Fantastic detergent nearby, and if the tire bead is difficult to break, I spray around the rim, and sometimes let it soak in overnight to soften and lubricate the bead.   

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM

stevasaurus

If you are not sure about what you are doing, just take the tires and rims to your local Miller tire Dealer and have them either put new tubes in or tires with new tubes.  Saves a lot of fooling around and nicks and scrapes.  It is only a few bucks for R&R and is done right.  :)

TDF5G
14 hours ago, Howie said:

:text-yeahthat:

Please don't put fix-a-flat in any tire unless it's an emergency situation to get you out of harm's way.  Tire guys don't like that stuff.  I've never used it.  

I would take the tires to a reputable tire shop and have them install new tubes.  A good shop will be fully equipped to handle it.

Edited by TDF5G

WHX??

Ney ney  on the fix a flat, like putting a can of liquid tune up in your oil when you need a ring or valve job... :twocents-02cents:

Really, wire looming from a dental supply house @Tankman ??   :ychain: 

https://www.waytekwire.com/

pfrederi

On the tires...I have a lot of rolling stock so I have to do my own tires and i have over the years accumulated a lot of tire tools.  Still not one of my favorite pastimes.  if your tires have been on there for almost 40 years and unless you have tire spoons and some sort of bead breaker do yourself a favor and take them somewhere.  Absolutely do not use slime or whatever.  most tire shops will refuse to work on them.

• Like 1

Howie

For me I get them at a local farm store. One tire shop in town has about the best prices here. They are very reasonable on

installing them also. The ones mentioned already would be places to look. I change some myself and others I leave to the

tire shop.

lynnmor

I have punctures from thorns from time to time.  The tubeless tire patch kits work fine and takes just minutes.  I am no big fan of tubes, while there may be some reduction of flats, the fix is pulling the tube and patching it.  Another issue is water seeping in around the valve stem.  I have had wheels that were barely useable from deep rust.