eibbed

551 and 702 Transmissions

eibbed

Gentlemen,

Is a 551 transmission the exact same as a 702 transmission?

My thanks to your reply in advance.

Dave

Achto
2 hours ago, eibbed said:

Is a 551 transmission the exact same as a 702 transmission?

The 551 uses a 5010 transmission.

The 702 uses a 5025 transmission.

gwest_ca

The 5010 was the 3-piece case trans last used in the 401 only in 1961

The 5007 was the first 2-piece case trans used in the 551 and 701 in 1961

Have never compared the parts but in 1962 at serial number 62-02856 there was a bend added to the shifter to clear the HY-2 hydraulic pump. That may be the only difference in the 5007 and 5025.

The 5025 was replaced by the 5046 in 1964 because they no longer considered the shifter a part of the transmission. That may be the only difference in the 5025 and 5046.

Garry

• Like 3

Achto

Thanks for adding that info @gwest_ca. This is why collective knowledge is so much better.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Garry is correct.  I have rebuilt both the 5007 and the 5025 and internally, they are the same.  It looks like Wheel Horse changed to a different parts numbering system when you compare the 2 parts list...ie...the drain and vent plugs, but on both transmissions the side plug is 1/4" and the drain plug is 3/8".  That is the only thing that I found to be different.  :)  If you have what you think is a #5007, you could look at the casting date on the trans case...if it is from 1960 or 1961 (and I only say 1960 because I would think they would already have these parts to use in 1961)...it would be a good bet that you do have the #5007 transmission.  Just know that a casting date from 1961 may be used in the 1962 #5025...the case halves are the same part number in both transmissions.  They would use left overs first.  :)

• Like 1

eibbed

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of the very informative comments. 

Unfortunately, since I posted my question, I decided to post my 551 transmission for sale in the Classified Section of our forum.

Should it not sell, I now know for sure that I can keep it as a backup for my 702.

Dave 

Edited by eibbed