Cadmandu

PTO Belt install on a 37 inch deck

Cadmandu

Hi All, Please look at this picture for me and let me know if this is correct. I put the v in the blade pulleys the flat back running between the the two idlers and then twisted both sides 90 degrees which put the V into the two V mule drive pulleys. But i had to twist the belt on the bottom to install over the PTO.

PTO Belt installation.jpg

Walt

That does not look right to me loosen the mule drive and pull belt off it should be v down on top and v up on bottom but there is not twist in belt between mule drive pulleys and the PTO. 

gwest_ca

Double V-belt routing

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Cadmandu

Thanks for the doc. I have two V pulleys on my mule drive the only way that I can install the belt without a twist between the mule and the PTO would be for me to run the belt over the outside v pulley on the mule with the wider shaded flat side in the groove is that correct?

gwest_ca

What I would do is remove the belt and lay it out flat with no twists. Mark the outside of the belt as it lays there with a crayon and then reinstall it as shown in the illustration. I don't know how else you could keep track of it.

Garry

Cadmandu

Okay thanks

rlrnot

It doesn't appear that you have the correct belt.  My deck needs a double 'v' belt. Double check the belt part number.

• Like 1

dcrage

Just as rlrnot said above; I believe you have the wrong belt for your mule drive -- If you have two (2) "v pulleys" on your mule drive then you need the 6 sided belt -- In lieu of buying that belt you could also replace outside mule drive v pulley with a pulley that excepts the flat back of the belt that you have (and per Gary in a reply below you would need to replace both idler pulleys on the deck with flat pulleys -- DCR 11/12/16)

37" SD decks were sold with 2 different drive belts -- the 6 sided and the regular v-belt -- I have never heard the explanation for why it was originally sold with the 6 sided belt, but it was 

Edited by dcrage

gwest_ca

Changed the wording in the file description in the hope it would be easier to understand.

Garry

Cadmandu

I have a flat pulley I can i use that instead of the double V? I bought it for my 42" deck The belt is 111187

gwest_ca

Belt number typo?

The 111178 belt is 6-sided so all pulleys on the idler assembly and mower deck must be V-pulleys.

Garry

Adding

The belt in the first picture at the top of this thread does not look like a 6-sided belt.

If you are going to use a 4-sided belt the front idler assembly requires one flat idler and both idlers on the deck must be flat.

Cadmandu

can someone send me a picture of a six sided belt?

I will put a flat idler on the outside of the mule.

TIA

gwest_ca

This is the best I can do for the 6-sided belt. If you were to cut the belt and look at the end you just cut it would look like the head of a bolt or nut - hexagon

___

/      \

\___/

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/111178/

The reason both deck model numbers show up as using this belt is because they share the same parts list. Both belt types are shown as well as both types of idler pulleys.

Hope this pic shows up

https://www.google.ca/search?q=six+sided+belt&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=944&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmk76eyqPQAhXkxYMKHV_LDjMQsAQIHw#imgrc=nl-7WbJNowI1SM%3A

or

aasect.jpg

Will look like 2 regular belts if the wider backs are placed back to back.

If you have a 6-sided belt why would you put a flat idler on the outside of the mule? They both need to be V-idlers because the 6-sided belt does not have a wide flat back.

If you are using a regular 4-sided belt then you need one flat idler on the mule plus 2 flat idlers on the deck.

___

\___/

Garry

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Thanks my son is home from Afghanistan and I will be spending time with my hero 

rick

6 sided belt, or V belt, it is one of the best cutting decks in the WH inventory!

Cadmandu

Just sold my 37" deck, belt and bagger system put on two two new idlers a month ago all for 290.00

Very nice wheel horse lover.

I have a 42" deck an old 5-1011 for spring.

Now I can install my 42" snow blade and chains. Need help installing tubes in my 23 x 10.5 tires.

00c0c_5QIePcSbByg_1200x900.jpg

IMG_0059.JPG