Hacksawhero123

Do deck washers really work??

Hacksawhero123

I haven't bought a new mower in a long time. I did notice some time ago that a lot of the newer machines have water hose attachments on them. Do they really work or is it a sales gimmick?  The reason I ask is that I'm about to begin a little patchwork on my 42" side discharge deck. I was contemplating welding a hose port on each side. Thanks for your time. 

Mark. 

cleat

My old Ford LGT165 had a hose washout on it.

Made a mess wherever you used it and worse yet, I got to replace every spindle bearing after only one year of use.

I would never use one again.

• Like 5

JAinVA

Those things are some marketing geniuses idea and don't do a darn thing.If it isn't on it don't waste your time.They do not work!

They just make a mess like Cleat says and waste water.JAinVA

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut

My walk behind has one.  It does clean the grass off for the most part but every few months I still end up cleaning the gunk out of the crevices.

SylvanLakeWH

Never use it. Tip and spray / scrape. Only way to really clean it...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

classicdmax

Try using fluid film.  http://www.fluid-film.com/  I use it on my commercial snow plow to aid in snow sticking to the blade. It's a popular coating in the agricultural market for use on equipment to aid in prevention of debris sticking to said equipment. It's avail from rattle can to 55g drum. I buy it by the gallon and use an electric paint sprayer to apply

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

Thanks fellas. I had a feeling it worked better as a sales gimmick. 

Mark. 

DennisThornton

Sounds impressive!  Why wouldn't everyone want one!

Sales feature with no benefit!  Cost's very little and offers even less.  

• Like 2

Digger 66

They put these on the mowers that are designed to be thrown away after 5 years .

Laugh , chuckle , etc ....

I'm with SylvanLakeWH 

Flip 'er and strip 'er .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

Sarge

I've use water wash on mine for years - yes it can create bearing issues if the grease seals aren't in good shape . That said , the deck on the 16Auto just got washed Tuesday after I mowed a really wet acre with it , just laid the hose next to the left side and let it run wide open - deck is clean as a whistle . The other deck got 2 nozzles installed in the rear outer portions on the 2 outside blades and works great . I will say this - it takes a volume of water to make it work , most of those nozzles are restricted and if you cut that restriction off it works much better . No real rust issues other than the green/yellow LA145's Edge (junk) deck knocking it's paint off in major sheets (I hate powder coating) ....

Sarge