CTPhil

New to me 875

CTPhil

I started talking about this in Stevebo's meet and greet thread, but decided to separate it out and not further hijack his thread, LOL.  It's starting to look like I'll need some help at any rate.  So I picked it up Sunday from the second owner who bought it nearly new around '66 and it had been sitting.  I tried to start it but it had a hung valve.  I put some ATF down the cylinder and lucked out, the valve unstuck by itself.  I've gotten it to run a few seconds at a time on ether, but the fuel system is all gunked up, I've got the tank off to start cleaning it up, and there was a lot of gunk in the carb bowl.  The pics aren't great, it's still in my covered stock trailer hiding from the other resident at my house.  It's sometimes prudent to introduce new family members slowly.  Here's the tractor:

P1020486wh875.JPG

P1020487wh875back.JPG

My first conundrum is the black "fur" in the gas tank.  The pic below is of that same fur in the fuel strainer bowl.  Is there an easy way to clean that?  Will anything dissolve it?  I scraped at it a little and it's soft for the most part.  Thanks. :)

P1020491bowl.JPG

• Like 9

RedRanger

I like it!  Very nice and original.  Great patina!

Once you get it running, a nice degrease and polish is all she needs.  Top that off with a nice oil bath.  

Watch out for the other members of the family as mentioned.  They can become quite jealous of these things and not fully understand the needs of a man.

I see you do have other horses in your possession, it should be fairly easy to co-mingle the animals as to hide your most recent purchase.

Nice buy!  That vintage dealer sticker is just cool!

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 2

wfrpalm

Nice find.

953 nut
2 hours ago, CTPhil said:

"fur" in the gas tank.  The pic below is of that same fur in the fuel strainer bowl.  Is there an easy way to clean that?  Will anything dissolve it?

:text-coolphotos:              Very nice :wh:, you done good. I had some similar gunk and found that acetone dissolved it.

• Like 1

smoreau

I grew up on a 875! They are the first hydro trator built along with its bigger brother the 1075. Wheel a matic was the thing to have in 1965! It got me hooked on hydro's and is the reason that most of mine are hydro tractors.  

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Can't go wrong with good patina on a nice straight horse.

Glenn

stevebo

The best thing to do is drop it off on Saturday AM in my barn and never come back.... we will take real good care of her... lol

• Like 8

JimD

A nice example of an 875. I've never owned a Hydro Wheel Horse, but this is a good candidate for a de-greasing pressure wash and a clear coat to preserve the patina. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

jellyghost
2 hours ago, JimD said:

A nice example of an 875. I've never owned a Hydro Wheel Horse, but this is a good candidate for a de-greasing pressure wash and a clear coat to preserve the patina. :handgestures-thumbupright:

6 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I like it!  Very nice and original.  Great patina!

Once you get it running, a nice degrease and polish is all she needs.  Top that off with a nice oil bath.  

Can you explain this more for a completely clueless person?  What products are involved?

Edited by jellyghost

CTPhil
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:              Very nice :wh:, you done good. I had some similar gunk and found that acetone dissolved it.

That crossed my mind, I do have some.  I also bought some lacquer thinner tonight, think that would work?

1 hour ago, stevebo said:

The best thing to do is drop it off on Saturday AM in my barn and never come back.... we will take real good care of her... lol

Sure, what time?  LOL

• Like 1

TIGman

Great looking 875 !!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Makes me want to get back working on my 875..... I've been distracted lately by other tractors. ;) lol

JimD
3 hours ago, jellyghost said:

Can you explain this more for a completely clueless person?  What products are involved?

I would get some kind of degreaser soap and wash the greasy areas with that and some scotch bright, then pressure wash all that greasy stuff off the tractor, being extremely careful to not get into the electrical system wit the pressure washer. Avoid the areas under the dash ans under the engine tins, along with the coils and points areas. Let everything dry out  and then clear coat it with a few cans of of clear lacquer.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

That is a perfect example of a survivor! I wouldn't touch anything on it except give it a good pressure washing and make it run good again. What a great score that little tractor is!

Mike 

• Like 1

RedRanger

Careful with the decals when cleaning.  They are delicate and will wash off or peel.  I hit mine with a power washer and removed some of the black lettering on the stickers.

For a degreaser I like Gunk spray on.  Let is soak and hose it off.

For the paint, either leave it alone or wipe it down with oil once clean.  That patina is too nice to repaint or clear coat.

There are threads on this site about oil rubbing tractors....mostly in the restoration section.

I wouldn't clear coat it.  It's more original and natural the way it is.

There are also reproduction seat covers available by a fellow member if you look in the vendors section.

• Like 3

wallfish

Definitely a real nice example of an 875

Hey Phil, shoot me a PM if ever need to borrow that 7/8" reamer we talked about at Stevebo's M&G.

Anything bearing or bushing can be ordered from these local guys in CT. Prices are reasonable but not always the best.

http://www.asbbearings.com/about_ASB_bearings.html

CTPhil
5 hours ago, wallfish said:

Definitely a real nice example of an 875

Hey Phil, shoot me a PM if ever need to borrow that 7/8" reamer we talked about at Stevebo's M&G.

Anything bearing or bushing can be ordered from these local guys in CT. Prices are reasonable but not always the best.

http://www.asbbearings.com/about_ASB_bearings.html

Thanks, I will!

stevebo

Phil,

Can you take a close up of the hood decal close to the front? Looking to see where that shop is/was

• Like 1

CTPhil
On 11/8/2016 at 4:40 PM, 953 nut said:

I tried the lacquer thinner I had and it didn't do anything.  So I tried your suggestion and it is working, but it seems to be a process.  Which leads me to ask what will probably be the dumbest question asked on the forum today:  I'm thinking of speeding the process by putting a piece of chain in the tank with the acetone and sloshing it around, there's no chance that I could make a spark and blow my face off is there?  Feel free to laugh, I can take it. :)

• Like 1

pfrederi

use some 3/4 inch crushed stone  no sparks

wallfish

Although I've never had the issue with the gunk you do, I've used small sheet rock screws to remove rust. The sharp edges seem to do the work quicker than nuts and bolts but not sure if that matters in this case or not.

Highly doubt you could create a spark if you tried since it will be lubricated by the acetone.

Had a 12" blade in my sawzall and attached a tank to that to shake it. (should've got a video of that one) Done it with a drill in the vise and used a hose clamp on the trigger. Get creative so you don't have to do it by hand and free your time to work on other things while it's cleaning.

Edited by wallfish

CTPhil

I ended up supplementing the acetone with small rocks picked up off the driveway, and it came up pretty clean.  Coming down the home stretch...

oliver2-44
On 11/12/2016 at 1:23 PM, wallfish said:

Had a 12" blade in my sawzall and attached a tank to that to shake it. (should've got a video of that one)

@wallfishI 'm all for saving time, but could we get a repeat video of this before others try it!  (I duct taped one to the side of my other tractors rear wheels and got some slow driving seat time) 

CTPhil

One step forward and 3 back. :(  I put the gas tank back on and replaced all of the line and fittings from tank to fuel pump.  Fuel into the pump, none out.  So I took the pump off, it's a vacuum pump.  I took it apart and it's not too bad inside but parts that should move don't.  I think I can clean it and it might work, but as carefully as I took it apart, already I have a tiny spring that I'm not sure where it goes.  :(  Does anyone have an exploded view of the parts inside those pumps?  Google has not been helpful.

I pretty much decided that there was little chance that the carb had escaped being gunked up so I took that off for a cleaning and rebuild also.  This is getting to be a project!

RedRanger

If the tank and fuel pump are that bad, you can guarantee the carb is the same.

Rebuild kits for that fuel pump are available.

http://then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

If you assemble the pump correctly, you will be able to gently blow through the inlet, but not suck back.  Or vice verse on the outlet.

fuelpump.gif

953 nut

I took one of the older type pumps apart and turned the two check valve rubber discs upside down to give them a new lease on life and it worked great. Another option would be to use the entire valve body from a newer pump (even the plastic ones) they will bolt right up.

kohler fuel pumps 003.JPG