Tonyp

Starter dead ?

Tonyp

So after almost 30 years of trusted reliable service my 1987/   310-8 is giving me starter issues. Turn the key and it moans, doesn't crank, just moans !

Do the replacement starters come complete, pull the old one off put the new one on...just  bolt on ? 

clueless

That's about it.

Also, disconnect the negative side of your battery. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Your 1987 30 should have a Magnum engine. If so be careful with the starter motor.  When you unbolt it from the engine the end caps can fall off and innards spring out. 

have you checked all connections for hidden corrosion???

Starter 1.JPG

starter 2.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut

Hold on there! Have you cleaned and tightened all electrical connections including grounds? A 30 year old starter could be bad, but a 30 year old cable connection could be causing the problem too. 

• Like 1

wallfish

:text-yeahthat: and like Paul mentioned too, check it out first.

Might as well pull it off and have a good look as that's what you'll need to do anyway if changing it.

Not being sure what that "moan" is, could it be the starter just spinning and not engaging the bendix gear into the flywheel ring gear? A broken spring will cause that and probably much cheaper than a new starter is. Probably best to investigate best you can first but to answer your question, yes a new starter is plug and play.

• Like 2

Tonyp

Good stuff gents !   Yes, the motor is spinning/turning , thats what I mean by moaning, yes I have cleaned the connections but I will a gain.

This has been  happening  intermittently for several months now so I knew it was coming.  Now and then the starter doesn't even spin so I suspect starter and solenoid , but we'll see...

yes an  M10   Magnum 10.

I am going to pull the starter, carefully and check it out, maybe it is just the spring,

thx to all ! 

Tonyp

Good news, Starter was non operational but not bad, just needed TLC, meaning cleaning of the brushes, armature and the Bendix.  

It's all back together and working like a charm !     Thx to all above for the excellent information and details.

I did have questions about re-assemble..

see that here

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:

• Like 1