Jerry77

Tire - steel chains vs rubber chains

Jerry77

Does anyone have experience with the rubber chains?  I have been using 4 link steel for decades, but my driveway is blacktop and I was considering the rubber chains - don't want to spend the money if it isn't a good idea....:)

DougC

I have cement and gravel drive and have always used real chains, I need digging power and they give that to me.

I know nothing about the rubber ones but can't imagine they would be of any use if a layer of ice was under the snow like always happens in my area.

Someone will be along to disagree with me any minute!   :lol:

Good question. I will enjoy reading what gets posted here. I 'm gonna learn something as well, I'm sure.   :)

varosd

love rubber tire chains

not one traction works for everyone

photo6-1.jpg

• Like 3

oldredrider

I put rubber chains on my GT-14 a couple years ago. Tractor has limited slip differential, loaded tires and wheel weights. Haven't noticed any difference in traction compared to steel chains. No marking at all on my asphalt driveway.

Rubber chains are rated good for five years. I think that's a fair rating. 

In my opinion, they pay for themselves in cost savings in re-sealing your driveway every year or so to cover chain marks and damage.

• Like 3

Jerry77
1 minute ago, oldredrider said:

In my opinion, they pay for themselves in cost savings in re-sealing your driveway every year or so to cover chain marks and damage.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable... I do a couple of neighbor's drives  too and they are gravel - would that tear up the rubber chains?

oldredrider

I plowed some neighbor's driveways and didn't see any extra wear on the rubber chains. I'll probably never go back to steel chains.

• Like 2

varosd

30 inch snow day last year

520 with front and rear wheel weights and rubber chains kept going and going

IMG_0093_zpsijlbyo1l.jpg

• Like 6

Coadster32

I also use rubber chins...on turf tires. My driveway is asphalt, with nicely decorative stamped concrete right in front of the garage door. Haven't damaged it as of yet. I'm sold on them for the last 4 years now.

• Like 2

lynnmor

I have rubber tire chains on a 520H with a two stage snow thrower.  When I went to 4 ply tires, the rubber chains might shake the fillings out of my teeth.  While forward traction is nearly as good as steel chains, it can slide sideways real quick.  I will continue to use them to protect the driveways, but they will waste a lot of time because I need to go real slow and careful for the above reasons.  If I can find a pair of wheels for a reasonable price, I will permanently install them on 2 ply tires and swap seasonally.

Bonacker

I have been using rubber chain for past four years on a rough cement drive way with no problems