BOB ELLISON

analog tachometer for C160

BOB ELLISON

Has anyone had any luck installing a analog tachometer on a k series engine.

I would like to install a tech on my c160 but I have only found 1 post where it worked, it was a Durite 052510. The only problem  is its only avaliable in the UK. I have read about a Equus 8068 that is supposed to work but I have yet to find anyone with one good working example. I can't find anyone here that has a good working tech on there B or C series  wheel horse.Everyone uses a hand held tachometer i dont want the little digital /hour type . I would like one that hooks up to the coil NOT ONE THAT USES PLUG WIRE sensor wrapped around plug wire. If anyone has been able to install one can they post a model number and a diagram for me. I have researched this on Web for 2 days and I know there is not a demand for a single cylinder tech but some tachometers are very expensive and I can't buy one just to try.

• Like 3

meadowfield

I couldn't find any so made my own, they connect to the stator and then mount nicely on the dash.

i did a thread somewhere

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 4

BOB ELLISON
13 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

I couldn't find any so made my own, they connect to the stator and then mount nicely on the dash.

i did a thread somewhere

IMG_1507.JPG

Meadowfield I like them you did a great job , all I need is a techometer just like yours...any info as to how you made it would be greatly appreciated. I have read Posts back to 2010 and haven't found anything. I did install a volt meter like yours but there easy to find. But that tachometer is non existing. 

• Like 2

classicdmax

I'd be interested to do the same. I just purchased a digital tach that wraps around plug wire....but only for tuning purposes. I look forward to any further info

WHX??

Does it have to be analog Bob? There are these out there plus they have a hour meter.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_524744_524744

This one wraps the plug wire but I have seen them that hook right up to the coil.

Otherwise check with Stewart Warner they may have one. They made them for WH for a time. Would one off a 520  work??

BOB ELLISON

WHX8 I want one to be permanent mounted in the dash  and Stewart Warner doesn't have one for 1 cylinder 

I don't know about the 520h techs ,There a arm and a leg to purchase, my tractor didn't cost what they want for one  .

BOB ELLISON

I have been very busy trying to find something to work on these tractors with a single cylinder kohlers.

I did find one that the manufacturer said would work.it has a adjustment for 1 to 10 cylinders.

But don't hold me to it yet they will say anything for a sale.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/2-Inch-Tachometers.aspx

has a lot of tachometer's that they said will all change to single cylinder.

But it will need a filter to help with the voltage fluctuation .

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tachometer-signal-filter.aspx

and I also found a site that's tell you how to build your own filter .

http://www.camaros.net/techref/electrical/tachfilter/index.htm

guys I'm still going to do this I will find a good working tach yet.

I would like all the advice I can get from members here about what will and will not work.

MT_WDV10 Tach_Main.jpg

Tach_Signal_Filter_Main1.jpg

• Like 3

classicdmax

Those seem acceptable for use, though I wonder if there's one out there with a smaller rpm range say 0-5000 or so. These tractors are hardly going to register on a gauge with that range

Edited by classicdmax

KC9KAS
5 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

These tractors are hardly going to register on a gauge with that range

The one in the photo is showing 3500 RPM....IIRC our Kohler's are maxed at 3600 RPM.

Edited by KC9KAS
spelling

classicdmax

I realize that, just hate to see all those unused numbers on there haha. 

I was looking at that pic again after sending last post and was thinking same thing

ill see what/if I can find anything useful to this post

BOB ELLISON

I did look for a lower 0- 4000 tack but all the tachometer on there website went to 10000 rpm's. I just figured the digital would work ok to read rpm"s on. At this point finding one with lower scale was to expensive. 

I still need help finding one that works.

meadowfield

I forgot the amount of effort I put into this a few years ago.

I bought a cheap $15 chinese tacho and made a new scale and re-calibrated it. Maybe I should go into business :D

• Like 3

mmmmmdonuts
1 hour ago, meadowfield said:

I bought a cheap $15 chinese tacho and made a new scale and re-calibrated it. Maybe I should go into business :D

I think you should go into business...I would definitely be interested for the right price. Or at least how to modify one to get it to work.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Interesting discussion but I wonder why the interest in having a tach.  Most of the PTO implements ,mower decks and snow blowers were designed to work best at full throttle.  There are any number of tachs you can use to set the idle speed and high end limit and after that why need one??

mmmmmdonuts
35 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Interesting discussion but I wonder why the interest in having a tach.  Most of the PTO implements ,mower decks and snow blowers were designed to work best at full throttle.  There are any number of tachs you can use to set the idle speed and high end limit and after that why need one??

I know one reason for me is I keep having the throttle linkage move in while mowing or snowplowing and I forget how much the RPMs die down. I know I need a new cable and I can do the needle nose pliers to hold it in place but a visual indicator is always helpful to know where my RPMs lie. 

• Like 1

meadowfield
41 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I just like gauges, switches, lights and levers :D

IMG_2986.JPG

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 4

pfrederi
1 minute ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

I know one reason for me is I keep having the throttle linkage move in while mowing or snowplowing and I forget how much the RPMs die down. I know I need a new cable and I can do the needle nose pliers to hold it in place but a visual indicator is always helpful to know where my RPMs lie. 

or use clothes pins:P

IMG_1363 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 4

mmmmmdonuts
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

or use clothes pins:P

IMG_1363 (1024x768).jpg

Yes...I knew there was an easier and better method than the needle nose pliers. 

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
40 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I always watch my gages on my truck when I drive it. I like to know what's going on under the hood where I can't see . Gages are a reliable source of information that we all need to help us decide what's happening  to the engine or transmission or the gas we have left.

That's why the 520h has all the gages on it and it has a tachometer for that reason. I want info I can see.

BOB ELLISON
2 hours ago, meadowfield said:

I forgot the amount of effort I put into this a few years ago.

Meadowfield I can see you are at the head of the class and know how to make things work. You could be my hero if you would either share or make these tacks for sale. I for one would be very interested in purchasing one from you . Find out if there is a demand and you could have more offers then you could keep up with. Not only here on RedSquare but other tractors use them and from all my research a lot of people are asking for them. The ones I did find that might work are out of my price range. Something to think about. ..

I will make one work eventually but your help would be greatly appreciated. 

meadowfield

I made two when I did the original thread....  I've just taken a gamble and ordered another three from China, but no telling on whether they can be modified to work on single cylinder.

Will keep you posted and if I can make one work - and print a decal or two I will offer them for sale...

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

I have not given up yet. I just ordered a 2 1/6 " tackometer from India that I'm hoping will work on my C160 . I will find one that works yet. I'll have to buy a handheld tackometer to verify that it works but if it does I'll post all I know.

$_1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

formariz
On 11/17/2016 at 8:20 PM, BOB ELLISON said:

I have not given up yet. I just ordered a 2 1/6 " tackometer from India that I'm hoping will work on my C160 . I will find one that works yet. I'll have to buy a handheld tackometer to verify that it works but if it does I'll post all I know.

$_1.jpg

I too looked into an analogue tach for a while. Actually considered this very same one. Interested to know the outcome.

• Like 1

meadowfield

the two chinese ones I ordered came, I just need to find time to modify them :D

• Like 1