Al C.

Blower or plow?

Al C.

I have neither a plow or snow blower for either of my 10hp or 16hp eight speed wheel horses.  I don't have room for both a plow and a blower.  So my question, which is the best attachment for clearing the driveway?   The driveway is flat brushed concrete, two car widths, and 100ft long.  I've never needed to move more than 6-8 inches of snow at one time and drifting is not usually a problem.  I'm thinking that a plow will wear the transmission and a blower will wear the engine - what is the best of the options?

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:                   The biggest consideration for me is the type of snow you get. We tend to get very wet heavy snow, a snow blower will not work well with it.  So long as you have a place to push off the excess it will work well.

8 minutes ago, Al C. said:

I'm thinking that a plow will wear the transmission

You will not have enough traction to do any damage to the transmission. Wheel weights and loaded tires are a good idea regardless of what you buy. Since your driveway is level you may want to look into a set of rubber tire chains to help get the job done

• Like 4

Pollack Pete

My personal preference,especially for a concrete or blacktop driveway is a snow blower.A blower moves the snow far out of the way.A plow pushes it into a pile.I do have both,but I use the blower 99% of the time for real snow removal.I use the plow once in a while just for some fun time.I'm sure your answers will be about 50 50 on this one.

• Like 3

Tankman

Had a blower, sold it. My drives are stone and millings.

First plow I push the snow very wide to make room just in case more white, wet, cold "nasty" stuff arrives. Spring time, Grandsons are

raking stone off the lawns 'n back to the driveways. Then pack the stone 'n millings with a roller and asphalt packer. ;)

I would opt for the plow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Jerry77

I have always used a plow- never have had a blower -I did have a 9 horse walk behind that did a great job.. problem was it was hard for me to use plus I ended up with most of the snow on me..   :laughing-rofl:    from what I have read on here, I wouldn't want the hassle of putting on the blower in the fall and having to remove it in the spring - plow is simple in that respect...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

doc724

Everything that was said is absolutely true.  I have had both.  The final decision is based on preference taking into account the following:

Do you get a lot of snow?  If no, a plow works great.  If you get a lot of snow, no matter how far you push it back, you run out of room.  Also, if you have a lot of snow, the curb where the city plows it into your driveway is a bear to move

Is your snow wet or fluffy?  Both work great in fluffy snow.  If snow has 2 inches of slush on the bottom, a blower will clog.  A plow will move it, but not without lots of spinning tires and marks from the chains on your driveway.  By the way, if you have a blacktop driveway, DO NOT put latex driveway sealer on it.  That stuff is slippery.  If you must seal it, mix some playground sand into the sealer before you apply it to give some traction.

Is your driveway stones or paved?  Neither a plow nor a blower is ideal unless you are able to hold the implement off the ground a bit.  A plow will leave stones in your lawn as Tankman said.  A blower will chuck the making them projectiles and hurling them far into your lawn.

Are you physically able to lift the implement?  A plow is light but not when snow sticks to the blade and unless you have a hydro lift or you can hook up a helper spring, your left arm will get tired.  A blower needs a helper spring or a hydro.

I used a plow for 30 years.  It was cheap to buy and worked great when there was not a lot of snow.  In 2011 (I was 60 at the time) we had so much snow that even though I pushed the initial snowfall back 10 feet on each side of the driveway, there was no more place to put it.  I bought a used 520xi with a single stage blower.  Best decision ever.

• Like 5

pfrederi

One point to consider...is your location windy???  I live on a hill and trying to use the blower can be frustrating.  Because of trees and other obstructions  I have to always blow the snow to one side of the driveway.  If it is windy out it means i can only blow heading in one direction and then have to dead back to make the second pass.  Plowing is quicker...

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

These are all good answers. Each situation will be a little different. Most important considerations are:

Type of snow, wet and heavy or light and fluffy

Amout of snow you get each year and,

Amout of room to store the pushed or blown snow. 

I dont find find it any more difficult to put on a blower vs the blade. 

• Like 2

MalMac

It's simple each has pro's and con's. They will equal out each other. The only thing I can think of that would cancel out a blower is if you have a gravel drive way. There are ways around gravel with a blower but you must be real careful. If you live with neighbors next door in chucking distance of a blower then I would stay away from it. I have long gravel drives and use a blower, snowblade and front end loader. Lot's of good advice given but in the end it's up to you. Good luck in your decsion. Which ever you choose it's better than shoveling.

• Like 3

TDF5G

For what it's worth;

I've pushed snow for 20+ years with a 42" dozer blade on my B-80.  Used AG lug tires and chains, no weights, no fluid on gravel and blacktop.  Never had any real problems.  The most snow we get at one time is around 8-12" on occasion (been a long time though).  We get all kinds of snow, wet or fluffy.  The thing about the blade that I've learned is, the more snow there is or the heavier it is, it takes longer to push it but I always get it done.  I can even push away what the county pushes into the end of my drive, but it takes a little more work.  I always push according to the forecast.  If more snow is forecasted I'll push it back to leave room for more.  The snow will usually melt in a week or so anyway.  

I've got a B-100 now set up with weights, front and rear, on turfs with 4 link chains.  Only got to use it a little one season, on not much snow. But I can tell I have much better traction and should be able to push more snow.  I'm hoping to make up a set of 2 link chains for it before the snow falls.   I've always been under the impression I could push more snow if I could get the traction. 

I've used walk behind snow throwers at other homes or work places.  Never used a snow thrower on a :wh:, but  I'd like to have one to play with someday.  :)

• Like 2

daveoman1966

Here in n/w PA we usually get no accumulation more than 10" but sometimes the 'lake effect' will dump 20" or more.  Using a 48" dozer blade on my C-160 auto has not ever been an issue.   It has 2-link chains and two 75lb wheel weights, along with my body stones... never been stuck in 25+ years.  Whats more, the blade has cost nothing to maintain...unlike some COSTLY repairs that snow throwers / blowers get into.  The dozer blade also NEVER breaks down in the middle of a snow storm, and it doesn't give my face a snow-blow job either.

I've also found that the 48" blade is better than a 42", especially in deep snow....gives more room for front wheels to clear when making a turn or when backing up.  

• Like 4

oldlineman

I live in Somerset Co. Pa. we get snow have plowed with my 1979 c 101 10 hp for alllll of them years and it does the job. Except for the 93 94 snow storm when we got 38 " it has done the job. I have 2 link cgains 80 lb. on each rear wheel. I put # 40 roller chain on the front tires this year and am interested in how much better it will steer. My drive is stone and about 120 " long . I love my plow, spray some wax on it in the fall before snow and the snow won't stick as much . Have fun with the snow we can't change the weather.   :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I have had both. For my property placing and stacking the snow became a problem. The blower moves it out of the way. The snowblower has been my tool of choice the past 3 years. But that's because it fits my needs to a T.

Oh, my driveway is paved, about 500 foot. So no need to worry about throwing stones and such.

Everyone has made good comments fitting thier circumstances.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 4

Wishin4a416

I have both and I can tell you I couldnt give up the plow. Even after blowing I clean up with the plow. Space is not an issue as I can move it into the yard and in fact always do. Now we dont usually get the big ones often Last year 14 was our deepest. 2010 was bad. 28" and The perfect storm year we had 2 27"ers. Those are not the norm though.

• Like 2

oldredrider

Try moving dirt or gravel with a snow blower!:ROTF:

• Like 4

953 nut
8 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Try moving dirt or gravel with a snow blower!:ROTF:

I have seen members here using a snow blower to grind up and move autumn leaves.

• Like 1

Jerry77
9 hours ago, doc724 said:

mix some playground sand into the sealer before you apply it to give some traction

That is good if you don't mind tracking the black sand into your house - made that mistake once..wife still reminds me every so often..    :laughing-rofl:   I even avoid the topping that has the sand in it to begin with ..

WVHillbilly520H

Now my :twocents-02cents: you have 2 :wh: so basically you have answered your own question get a plow for your 10hp and a tall chute snow thrower(single stage) or blower(2stage)for the 16hp then you have the best of both worlds, this year I have 3 520s 1 with a 2stage and cab and yes a cab is a blessing when running a snow thrower/blower ,1 will have the tall chute single and the other will wear the plow, then break downs and such won't matter ,grab another finish the job then fix the problem afterwards,Jeff

• Like 6

DennisThornton

I was going to jump right in and share my experiences but I see that most everything has already been covered.  By far the best approach is not to choose which but to endeavor to have both somehow!  If you live in snow country each one is a life altering event!  But having both is yet another life altering event!  

There's always a way to have one more tractor with implement!  (I can't image swapping them back and forth on one tractor...  Just can't see it...)

Good luck with your building addition! B)

• Like 4

can whlvr

if you can only have one its the plow all the way,as stated you cant use the blower for anything but snow,but the blade can and does get many other uses,

• Like 5

steelman

Tough to pick one or the other. I have a plow on one tractor and a blower on a second one. The plow will work most of the time but if we really get dumped on, I need them both to get the snow back off the drive.

• Like 4

Al C.

Thanks for everyone's feedback !!!  I'm going to keep my eyes open for a plow.   Strange as it sounds, most of our snow seems to come over night.  I'm an early morning riser, so I'm usually out shoveling around 5:30 - 6:00am.  I enjoy the solitude of working before anyone else in the neighborhood wakes.  The thought of having snow from a blower plastering my face at this hour worries me that it will change the pleasure of the experience.   Since I don't have a problem with space to push the snow, the fact that I may find other uses for a plow, it has fewer moving parts to maintain, and that it will not "damage" the transmission of the tractor has me leaning this way. Looking around, it also appears that a plow is a little bit lighter on the pocketbook.   

• Like 3

c-series don

Dennis and I have discussed this in the past. The best thing is to just have a tractor for each implement. This way you don't have to switch them. To me it depends on the type and amount of snow we get as to what gets used, which is why I have the following: 417-A with 2-stage blower and cab for the big snow falls, C-165 auto with 48" blade, C-141 8 speed with cab and a C-48 Sweepster broom for light snowfalls or clean up, C-141 8 speed with FEL for stacking, and GT-1800 with 50" mid-mount grader blade for scrapping ice off the blacktop. Also have a F-350 diesel and 8' Fisher plow that I use for my snow plowing business but don't use that for my own driveway cause thats no fun!!!

• Like 1

js5020

Blower or blade?  Do what I did, get Both!!  Light snow blade it,, deep snow switch to the blower. I keep the blower on the WH now and use a quad to blade.

smoreau

Blower will make the driveway and front yard have a much cleaner look then piles of snow pushed way back to make room for the rest of the year. I have both and I have a gravel drive. My blower is set with the skids tall and that takes the deep stuff and moves it way back. Than I hop on the "V" blade tractor to clean off that last 3/4 " off to the side but not in the grass. This system works great for me and keeps the piles of snow to the minimum. If I do get a really wet deep snow, the loader tractor makes quick work of that heavy wet mess. 

• Like 3