TravelinJavelin

In a pinch has anybody installed the chinese clone engines?

TravelinJavelin

I was curious to get through until you could get your kohler rebuilt if any one has tried a china clone engine to get by and if motor mount holes would line up with out much modifications?

ACman

Don't take this this the wrong way , but were have you been. :scratchead: Lots of people have had very good luck with using the Harbor Freight engines with little mods (can't beat the warranty and price) :) ! Type in Harbor Freight engine swap in the search box at top page , something should pop up .

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

Sorry ACman been away from red square a while and looking for another horse I had bought a bolens over the summer never had tried one before ......price was right I thought but Tecumseh oh cast iron stuff never delt with before and well to me there just not a kohler ...........runs really good just not a bolens guy so anyways back to topic I had built a bike using a 16hp horizontal shaft duramax  4 years back and worked great and was $298 shipped so that's what I was wondering I did type in a search found a few things and diesel conversions too..........but anyways that's where I have been LOL!

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, ACman said:

Type in Harbor Freight engine swap in the search box at top page , something should pop up .

They also go by the brand name Predator engines.

• Like 2

maxiblue

have one on my snow blower now 8 years it is better then the factory one and more power, fit right in place of the old one with no mods done. I have Harbor Freight Trencher (towable backhoe) with on that over 10 years now still runs great. Found these engines preform very well  and seem to use less fuel then the old ones.Well that's my two cents:ROTF:

Edited by maxiblue
  • Like 2

GT14

Mine is still working great Predator 22 hp in a C-175

IMG_1533.JPG

Edited by GT14
Change pic
  • Like 4

RedRanger

Got a Predator on my yard vac-Runs great.

T-Mo

Predator 22hp in member's Bowtieguy's C-175.

57ee497300f90_2016-09-1710_20_31.jpg.9b31c6597f74f178fd72f62a301b48be.jpg

• Like 6

dells68

Got 3 predators - 2 6.5 hp engines on suburbans and a 13.5 ho on a gt14 and you can't beat them.  I love the old kohlers, but if you want a really reliable engine that you don't have to worry about ruining when you use and abuse it, get a predator.

• Like 1

82Caddy

I have a Predator twin 22hp in my d series with loader...Close to 100 hours on it now, and it runs just as strong as the day I put it in.  

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

that's great to know so how much modding on these did you guys have to do plus pulley's and all that good stuff love that big v twin predator for sure! also how torqy are these compared to the originals?

GT14
23 hours ago, TravelinJavelin said:

that's great to know so how much modding on these did you guys have to do plus pulley's and all that good stuff love that big v twin predator for sure! also how torqy are these compared to the originals?

Motor mount needs to be modified and you need a bushing from 1" to 1 1/8 for the engine to transmission pulley. I used and eclectic PTO because the Predator bearings are not build for side thrust loading.

Edited by GT14

ohiofarmer

I have the 420 cc 14 horsepower on a 520. I have not figured out how to modify the muffler so i can put the hood back on. That engine has paid for itself in fuel savings as it uses about half as much fuel as the P220 it replaced.

How does the big twin 22 HP perform in terms of fuel use?

dirtnap

I put a 212cc predator on my Jari sickle bar mower.  I really only use the mower a couple times a year to knock down the grass over my leach field at my camp in Maine.  The engine works great for that.  I also have one on my log splitter, I bought the splitter with the engine already on it.

20151122_145233.jpg