JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

THE MOTHERLOAD ,, advice neede ,, thoughts sought

wallfish

IDK, I see wrong parts and engines in there for what's shown in those pics for a "pricey" score. I'm not a big Lawn Ranger fan and don't really think they have the "round hood" value as the other round hood tractors do. They've certainly been sitting there for a loooooooooooong time.

Guess it also depends on what you consider "pricey" too, as that's a completely different sum to different people.

• Like 5

Wishin4a416

Decisions decisions. Good Luck Glenn!

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think it comes down to a question you can only answer. " If you buy the lot at a reduced price , could you sell what you don't want , keeping what you do want and come close to breaking even " or the bigger question how many years will you spend in the dog house.

• Like 9

SPINJIM

Is the seller only interested in a package deal?   If he will let you cherry pick, then it depends on which models you like.   My personal preference would be to make him a low offer on the whole batch, and if he turns it down, I'd offer him a reasonable price on the Commando 8 or the Rj (or whatever your favorite might be).  

I agree with wallfish.   I see the Lawn Ranger as a kids' toy, and don't like the Tecy engines.    If you buy the whole batch, you could wash up the ones you don't like, and sell them off to cover your cost.   They don't look beat up, just dirty.

Anyway, not a bad decision to have to make.  And remember, if his price isn't reasonable, there's always another one down the road.   Good luck.

Jim

• Like 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat:..... I'd take the Sububan (does it have the original engine?) and commando 8 . But what is pricey , could you unload the others and recoup most of your money . If you do bring them home I'd definitely make the boy clean them with a toothbrush :) ! 

• Like 1

Walt

From the look of the 4th picture I think you were shaking with excitement. GOOD LUCK 

Edited by Walt
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

ok, I just got back from taking more pictures. I tried to crawl around as good as I could. I came across an eletric whell horse, a C series 10 hp and 2 plow blades. the rj is a hundred bucks, all other pieces are 150 each. what will I do? I dont know, keep the advice coming in. my wife ( the boss ) doesnt care what I do....lucky me.. You guys can see. the green one has no motor, other ones,,,,I dont know how complete. been in the barn for years and years. the dirt tells that. the rj, no rear tires. dont know here, I am confused. but thats easy to do to me.

ok, and on to the pictures.  enjoy

Glenn

20161104_161645.jpg

20161104_161625.jpg

20161104_161620.jpg

20161104_161611.jpg

20161104_161604.jpg

20161104_161557.jpg

20161104_161549.jpg

20161104_161545.jpg

20161104_161540.jpg

20161104_161534.jpg

20161104_161528.jpg

20161104_161523.jpg

20161104_161517.jpg

20161104_161511.jpg

20161104_161500.jpg

20161104_161439.jpg

20161104_161431.jpg

20161104_161350.jpg

20161104_161333.jpg

20161104_161310.jpg

20161104_161254.jpg

20161104_161240.jpg

20161104_161149.jpg

20161104_161207.jpg

20161104_123823.jpg

20161104_161216.jpg

20161104_161240.jpg

20161104_123716.jpg

• Like 9

squonk

Not only that all the tractors are covered with years of dirt, everything else is covered too! Heraldo Rivera wishes he could have opened that vault. Gonna take a lot of dimes to clean them up! :)

th.jpg

• Like 1

wallfish

FYI, The "RJ" is actually a 551 unless there's another one hiding in there some where.

• Like 4

Aldon

Since you asked...

As much as I like working on these things I'd pass unless "pricy" became "cheap". Or at least wholesale pricing.

Unless there was something in the package deal I especially wanted. That would be different.

Otherwise you will have headache cleaning, fixing at unknown cost and time/trouble of distributing this stuff. Oh....and storing.

While I would like a Ranger at some point, I would want one correct.

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
6 minutes ago, wallfish said:

FYI, The "RJ" is actually a 551 unless there's another one hiding in there some where.

So, it's a Suburban?  OK.

Glenn

• Like 3

953 nut

Got to agree with Aldon, unless There was a special :wh: that I "HAD to have" I would be inclined to walk away unless I could get the whole lot at $100 each and then clean them a bit and go out on :techie-ebay:and hope the wife would not complain too much. 

• Like 7

ACman

For sure there's over $100 in parts on the Sububan (not that I would) fenders , seat , hood , front rims , ect. 

Decisions...decisions  :scratchead: What to do ?

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Did those lawn rangers ever come with teckys? Does the GT look interesting? The snowblower looks good.  To me anyway. I could take a ranger, but, you see the guy that scored that beauty for 200 bills? Wow..I feel like I am looking through the garbage can. Lol  the 2 snow blades are mint, but I have 4 already. The C series 10 hp looks nice, but I forgot a picture of it. The electric One? Maybe?  

Geeeeeez, I think I find gold, now I feel like I stepped in a dog load.  I feel like I shouldn't even have started the thread, wasting everyone's time here. 

Glenn

32 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Got to agree with Aldon, unless There was a special :wh: that I "HAD to have" I would be inclined to walk away unless I could get the whole lot at $100 each and then clean them a bit and go out on :techie-ebay:and hope the wife would not complain too much. 

Rich, I am not big into stripping and selling parts either. Just not my style. Good idea, but not for me.  

Glenn

• Like 2

953 nut
10 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

not big into stripping and selling parts either.

I wasn't clear, I was referring to selling complete tractors; as is, pick up only! 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:scratchead: RUN...don't walk.   :greetings-clapyellow:

If  you don't want that Suburban Glenn...

please forward the sellers info on to me. 

• Like 3

ACman

I don't think this is a waste of time...it's the hoard every :wh:Horseoholic dreams of  :) ! Barn finds...all dirty and prirty with lots of pics and you know we love pics . I'd bring home the nut roaster (because everyone needs one) , the most original ranger ....who'm I kidding I'd bring them all home and figure it out later . You could bring them to the big show do some wheeling-n-dealing , who knows what you could bring home .

• Like 7

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

So far, and this is a BIG MAYBE, I might take a ranger, the gt2500, the snowblower, the blades, maybe the C.  Not sure on any of it yet. 

The wind was let out of my sails. I go from buying jewels to junk.  I like jewels. 

Glenn

Oh, I did find out, teckys did come in the Rangers, but you notice, one black teckys, one red teckys, which one is which. Lane ranger will set me straight.

2 minutes ago, ACman said:

I don't think this is a waste of time...it's the hoard every :wh:Horseoholic dreams of  :) ! Barn finds...all dirty and prirty with lots of pics and you know we love pics . I'd bring home the nut roaster (because everyone needs one) , the most original ranger ....who'm I kidding I'd bring them all home and figure it out later . You could bring them to the big show do some wheeling-n-dealing , who knows what you could bring home .

Jeff, your a true gentleman.   That electric looks crazy cool though..lol

Glenn

• Like 3

ACman
14 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Jeff, your a true gentleman.   That electric looks crazy cool though..lol

"Gentleman" :laughing-rofl: boy you don't know me...!

Is the electric one a E-81 , that would be a good one just to play around with , go to the mailbox , drive around shows . 

They're all jewels in my book . Some of us like them shiny , others in there working clothes . It's all in the eye of the beholder .

• Like 5

JackC

Hi Glenn,

I am familiar with the machines you seem to like to collect and the conditions of the machines you like to collect.  From what I can tell, like me, you seem to like the larger. more muscular, twin cylinder, smoother running primo tractors. Maybe it is the Harley in your genes that leads you in that direction.

I would also get excited stumbling onto that find but those are in a whole different collector category. They are all neat machines if you are into that category.   I am not.  I might be interested in the electric just because it is different, they appear to be very rare, and the world is going electric. Wheel Horse was way ahead of the game, and Elon Musk,  with their electric category. Possibly with some strong batteries and new electric motors you may be able to own a primo electric that can cut your lawn and do wheelies at the shows? Even some motorcycles are going electric. Maybe someday Tesla will eventually develop an electric garden tractor line and offer them in red and even bring back the brand. Tesla Wheel Horse instead of Toro Wheel Horse?  Oh well, good luck with whatever you decide. I am at the point where I have too many and don't have the time to love them all.  My big D-200 is my current favorite low 400 hour, twin cylinder Kohler, primo, muscle machine to help me clear some land at the lake. Not a job for any of the machines I saw in the photos. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

wallfish

IMO that 551 is worth $150 all day long. I'd leave it just like it is with all the mechanicals repaired and drive it right to a show! But rusty & crusty is appealing to me!

• Like 7

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Heres the electric one, I am suprised theres not much comment on it. I should have taken the plastic off the seat. I am researching this one cause its odd. The battery prices would kill this deal though.

sorry the pictures stink.

Glenn

Edit:  from my limited research this seems to be a 1975 A-60. 

Does that give anybody the shivers? Lol

How about batteries for this electric guys?

20161104_161207.jpg

20161104_161149.jpg

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 3

jellyghost

I wish my life problems looked like this.

I would take all of them and pack them quickly.  If you clean them and resell them with accurate info, you should recoup your cost while doing the collector community a favor.  Maybe nice finds are more rare out here.  That collection is almost unbelievable to me.  I wonder if you are overthinking this.

Either way, this is coming from a man who only owns one Wheel Horse, and I would barely have the garage space to stack those up!

• Like 9