Walt

Rubber for RD Decks

Walt

Seen tonight that MSU surplus store has Rolled Conveyor Belts for sale from 25 to 150 per roll. I will be running out in the morning to grab one of the 25.00 rolls hoping to get one that's wide enough to just cut strips going from side to side. I wont be doing anything with it till spring so there is no rush but to any of our members who have used to make the diverter I could use measurement length you cut your to from bolts to amount hanging off rear of deck. Once I have mine made the balance of roll would be scrap to me so I would be willing to cut the rest into strips for any member wanting a piece. Now easiest way for me to pass them on would be to meet any of our members passing through central Michigan who are going to Big Show next year and have them pass on. I will bring this up again in spring when get ready to cut it up.

• Like 2

Walt

Was able to get a roll its 36" wide by approximately 17' long. I figure I could make about 32 pieces out of it. Unsure how much interest there is from our membership in having a piece of it to their decks to help keep the lawn clippings from blowing up on trans-axle. Reason I suggested having a member meet and bring to big show is I don't want to deal with shipping them since I'm giving them away. Since I already have top of my tool box with some I got 20 years or so ago I may take piece for protecting top of work bench for when I have metal items on it that could gouge surface if interest is low.

IMG_0840.JPG

Edited by Walt
  • Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would be interested in two pieces for my 36 and 42 inch decks. Gladly pay for them in advance if you can find a way to get it to the Big Show. That looks like some tough material.

• Like 1

Walt
8 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I would be interested in two pieces for my 36 and 42 inch decks. Gladly pay for them in advance if you can find a way to get it to the Big Show. That looks like some tough material.

Not charging for them I just figured I would pass on to our members who wants them and attending the show if we can get a member to take them to the show. I wont be attending a show as I don't travel more than a couple of hours from home or for more than a couple of days at this point in life. My mother is in ill health and has to use a wheel chair so I am main source of seeing to her basic needs shopping and doctors appointments or ER visits (she hates my sisters driving ;)). My kid lives across street from me and next to ma so she can keep eye on her for short periods of time but with 3 kids, 4 dogs and a husband she has her hands full. But I digress they will be free I just don't want to deal with shipping them. I'll plan on 2 for you I'll be adding to this post in spring when I'm ready to cut it up I"ll only cut the number that are requested. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Walt Thanks so much , I still want to send you some cash for your trouble. Just keep me up dated on the progress of getting the material to the Big Show.

• Like 2

RedRanger

Would make a good cutting edge for snow blades too.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

GlenPettit

Hey Walt:

I will be attending the Big Show next June, and would be glad to take them to the show for you, and receivers can pick them up at our booth at the show.   Will also be attending the Mentone, IN show in the Spring.

Just have their name on them . . .

(I'm 10 miles South of you, N. of Eaton Rapids on M-99)  PM me.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 3

Walt
56 minutes ago, GlenPettit said:

Hey Walt:

I will be attending the Big Show next June, and would be glad to take them to the show for you, and receivers can pick them up at our booth at the show.   Will also be attending the Mentone, IN show in the Spring.

Just have their name on them . . .

(I'm 10 miles South of you, N. of Eaton Rapids on M-99)  PM me.

Thanks Glenn I appreciate the offer. I will be sure to get this thread restarted and see which members are interested and which of those 2 shows they would like to pick theirs up at. No one has commented on this thread with dimensions from what worked for them so first thing next spring I cut the one for mine and post pictures and size I trimmed it to. Any member interested just comment on this thread or PM me I will not be cutting it up till spring.

1 hour ago, RedRanger said:

Would make a good cutting edge for snow blades too.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

The day I brought the conveyor belt home I quick measurement of the opening on my rear discharge it was approximately 32" if that was all the wider I need of the 3' width I could probably cut the extra 4" off before cutting it into strips. Do you want a piece if this turns out to be the case?

On 11/4/2016 at 5:23 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Walt Thanks so much , I still want to send you some cash for your trouble. Just keep me up dated on the progress of getting the material to the Big Show.

Guess we have offer to get them to show.

On 11/4/2016 at 4:46 PM, Walt said:

Not charging for them I just figured I would pass on to our members who wants them and attending the show if we can get a member to take them to the show.

I would appreciate if ya hook Glenn up with a cold drink for his part in bringing them to you.

Wishin4a416

I would take one for a 42" RD if you have enough. I was going to use some rubber roll roofing but it is not near as heavy. I plan on going to the big show. Thanks!

Tankman
19 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Picked up a free Craftsman blade. What for I don't have a clue nor care. Hey, free is me.

Interesting squeegee edge.

blade_craftsman.png

Walt
On 11/8/2016 at 4:43 PM, Wishin4a416 said:

I would take one for a 42" RD if you have enough. I was going to use some rubber roll roofing but it is not near as heavy. I plan on going to the big show. Thanks!

I am estimating that I should be able to get around 32 + or - so once I have mine the rest are up for grabs and it will be first to claim will be ones I give them to only 3 claimed so far. 

• Like 1

cschannuth

I'd like to have one for my 32" deck but I can't make the show this year. Thanks though. 

Walt
20 hours ago, cschannuth said:

I'd like to have one for my 32" deck but I can't make the show this year. Thanks though. 

Maybe a member near you will chime in a be willing to pick one up for you. Glenn also mentioned he would be attending a show in Indiana that's much closer to you and members from your area.

• Like 2

Walt
On 11/4/2016 at 4:18 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

On 11/8/2016 at 4:43 PM, Wishin4a416 said:

I worked on this project a couple of times in last week. I decided to cut one for my mower deck at 7 inches leaving it 3 foot wide. Being as thick as it is I figured cutting a relief for flexibility to allow it to droop down would be a good idea. If you view the pictures you will see that the fibers embedded in the belt are closer to one side than the other. I choose to leave most of them intact only cutting to a depth that would leave at least one layer of them for strength. After drilling mounting holes (yes 2 holes are off by 2" ;) ) I used 5/16 x 1" carriage bolts, flat washers and lock nuts for mounting. This first attempt didn't give me the desired droop I was looking for. Today after taking care of couple of other things I had some time to get back on this project. I removed piece I made and decided to cut to a depth that cut through all the reinforcing fibers to see if it had the flexibility I needed. It now drops down which will divert grass clippings towards the ground and did not catch on the tires when backing up. I would like to cut the required number I need to fulfill any requests in next week while we have a number of rain days that will keep me from doing outside projects. elcamino/wheelhorse and Whishin4a416 were the only 2 to state interest when I first posted this thread last fall. I will cut the 3 pieces to fulfill their requests tomorrow. I would like to clarify I am only cutting the strips the drilling of mounting holes and cutting of relief will be responsibility of each member to fit their individual needs. I will give these helpful hints for cutting and drilling. If cutting through entire thickness ( incase you don't want it 3' long or 6" instead of 7" ) a jig/saber saw with coarse blade works best. For cutting the relief a circular saw with blade set to a depth of 5/16" worked for me. As for drilling holes if you have a spade style wood bit like one I added picture if drill from side fibers are closest to till you just poke through other side then flip part and drill through to open hole. I used a 25/64 (1/64 larger than 3/8) regular drill bit for first holes I did and pushing bolts through was to much like work. Any other members going to the Big Show wanting a piece of this material please let me know soon so I can get them cut and packaged for transport.         

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Walt , thanks for remembering me . can I pay you for the material? I have printed this so I will remember how to cut and drill the material. Thanks Again

• Like 1

Walt
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Walt , thanks for remembering me . can I pay you for the material? I have printed this so I will remember how to cut and drill the material. Thanks Again

Like I said previously I don't need you to pay me for them. But since Glen Pettit offered to bring them to the show, I would appreciate you getting him something cold to drink for his time and trouble. So far with PM I got today I may only be cutting 2 for you. Thinking I may cut some for my bench top to protect it when I have parts I'm working with on it. I did notice in one of the pictures I posted today the end with it mounted looks like it split where I cut the relief. It did not split I made that cut all the way through to hold end of chalk line for marking a line to follow when cutting the relief.

elcamino/wheelhorse

I will see Glen with an offer of a old beverage on Friday. Again thanks.

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I will see Glen with an offer of a old beverage on Friday. Again thanks.

Bet Glen would rather have a COLD one.    :ychain:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Richard I said earlier my fingers and brain were not working , at least made you laugh.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

:occasion-snowman:    :occasion-xmas:

Especially, on a Hot day at the Big Show !     Glen

• Like 1

953 nut
27 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

made you laugh.

If we couldn't laugh at ourselves we would be the only ones not laughing.

Tankman

Looks very nice. Does the rubber stripe the lawn?

Picked up a free blade couple of years ago. The owner added an interesting rubber edge. :blink:

plow_edge.png

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@857 horse Howard here is the thread on the rubber for rear discharge decks.