Duramax7man7

Gauge Lamp Sockets (Replacement?)

Duramax7man7

Hey Gang, 

Was wondering if anyone knew a good replacement for these gauge lamp sockets? They are 2 wire, 12v push in types with about 1/2" diameter or so. It would be nice to move to LED bulbs as well for a bit of a modern touch. The contacts are pretty worn out as are the tension springs. One is missing. 

I've tried a few places and it looks like I would have to get a completely new wiring harness or find some that match somehow. I figured I'd also ask here to see if anyone has dabbled with this?

Thanks in advance. 

Andrew C.

This is what is currently on the gauges. 

IMG_20161101_13306.jpg

IMG_20161101_17357.jpg

IMG_20161101_21802.jpg

Edited by Mastiffman

bmsgaffer

I have a full wire harness from a '91 520H that has a few mods done by a PO (one wire bypasses the 9 pin connector for example), but I think the sockets looked good. 

If you feel comfortable doing some electrical work you can chop the good parts you want out of this harness (or repair it, its not in bad shape). $30 will get it shipped to your door, if you are interested. PM me!

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

cleat

Any that I had took bayonet style bulbs and looked like yours.

I switched to SW gauges and got rid of the lights.

My one thought before that was to hook the gauge lights into the headlight circuit so they were not on all the time.

I may have some lights around, I will need to check.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7
22 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

I have a full wire harness from a '91 520H that has a few mods done by a PO (one wire bypasses the 9 pin connector for example), but I think the sockets looked good. 

If you feel comfortable doing some electrical work you can chop the good parts you want out of this harness (or repair it, its not in bad shape). $30 will get it shipped to your door, if you are interested. PM me!

Thanks. I did find a socket at an auto parts store that fits well but is lighter grey. But it works. I will see how I like it and contact you about that harness. My harness overall seem good. I replaced the OEM molex (mine had the charging wire bypassed as well) with individual male to female socket connectors and heat shrink on them all. I've fixed any bare rubbings that could short to this point as well. So other these sockets, I'm good at this point. Unless something else creeps up in the future.  

21 hours ago, cleat said:

Any that I had took bayonet style bulbs and looked like yours.

I switched to SW gauges and got rid of the lights.

My one thought before that was to hook the gauge lights into the headlight circuit so they were not on all the time.

I may have some lights around, I will need to check.

Thanks. What are SW gauges. Thanks a good idea to switch them only to only be on with the headlights. I may have to do that. 

WHX??

Stewart Warner gauges...higher end but quality units. http://www.stewartwarner.com/ Mostly automotive use or guys with custom horses & deep pockets... Like Cleat... :ychain:

Edited by WHX8

cleat

The 1988 and 1989 520's came with SW gauges and I have managed to buy a couple of extra sets to convert all of mine over.

The Toro ones work but I have been eliminating the "Toro" wording from all of my 520's and converting them to 1988 style with burgundy decals, getting rid of the column controls etc.

Cleat

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Ah gotcha. Yes I noticed the SW on all mine last night. But mine is a 1990. The engine code is a 89' build but the 10955c only came in the 90 and 91. BUT, the transaxle in mine matches that of the 90. As it's got a column motion lever option instead of the shifting in the saddle area. 

Edited by Mastiffman

cleat

Does yours also have the swept front axle without the gear reduction steering ?

Duramax7man7

Yes it does. 

darren

Hi Andrew,

I've just been looking to do the same upgrade on my 520. For what it's worth, the bulb 'type' used by these sockets is the 233 T4W.

It's possible to get LED variants (that's what I've done) - the other option is to replace both bulbs and holders for the 'wedge' type that seem to have become more popular. That's probably the best option if you're even slightly handy with a soldering iron, as I imagine it's easiest to chop and replace the old holders even if you're going like for like.

I appreciate this answer is probably a bit late!

All the best

Darren

Edited by darren