Newbiehorse

New purchase- charger 10

Newbiehorse

Newb here.  

This is is my first wheelhorse. Don't know much about it. It has a kholer 10hp in it. And it turns over but doesn't run, yet!   

I know cubs cubs but not much about this horse.  I would like some headlights. 

Does anyone have any info about this tractor?

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

And I have no idea why they keep uploading like this. I've tried everything 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Nice :wh: score there. :handgestures-salute:

:WRS:

IMG_1586.JPG.336e3ad6f92df27365dc50df8ec8f1d7.JPG

• Like 6

Newbiehorse

Thank you for fixing it 

• Like 3

KC9KAS

@Newbiehorse :WRS:

Don't know much about your model, but the "K" series Kohler engines are really strong, well built engines and will go a long time, and then can be rebuilt to go another 30-40-50 years!

wallfish

Probably just clean those points and carb, change the oil then fire that baby up!

You'll find a Wheel Horse is very easy to work on because of it's simplicity in the way it's engineered compared to other manufacturers.

If you can verify the actual Model# we can give you the exact year and a manual for it. Seems the Charger 10 was only 1972 and the model# 1-0410 but always best to be sure since a lot can happen between then and now.

1-0410 1972 Lawn & Garden Tractor Charger 10 Automatic Kohler K241S-46636D 10 Sundstrand 90-2046

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3

Wheel-N-It
28 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Probably just clean those points and carb, change the oil then fire that baby up!

You'll find a Wheel Horse is very easy to work on because of it's simplicity in the way it's engineered compared to other manufacturers.

If you can verify the actual Model# we can give you the exact year and a manual for it. Seems the Charger 10 was only 1972 and the model# 1-0410 but always best to be sure since a lot can happen between then and now.

1-0410 1972 Lawn & Garden Tractor Charger 10 Automatic Kohler K241S-46636D 10 Sundstrand 90-2046

:text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat:

pfrederi

You will need a headlight bucket and lens.  Frankly the standard head lights are not that great.  They use the standard 1156 bulb (2ea) (think back up lights on older cars)

You can search here for lots of alternative ideas LEDs etc.

Welcome

Chargers are great machines and if the limited slip differential is still working they will move some serious snow.  When you get a chance jack up the rear end and spin one wheel the other should turn in the same direction.

• Like 3

Newbiehorse
24 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

You will need a headlight bucket and lens.  Frankly the standard head lights are not that great.  They use the standard 1156 bulb (2ea) (think back up lights on older cars)

You can search here for lots of alternative ideas LEDs etc.

Welcome

Chargers are great machines and if the limited slip differential is still working they will move some serious snow.  When you get a chance jack up the rear end and spin one wheel the other should turn in the same direction.

So it's not frowned upon if I mount after market lights on it some how ?

wfrpalm

Nice tractor, wish I had a snow blower.

codeman83

nice! i just picked up an charger 8 hydro a few weeks ago, great tractor

953 nut
1 hour ago, Newbiehorse said:

it's not frowned upon if I mount after market lights on it some how ?

:text-coolphotos:            It is your tractor and you can add lights to your heart's content;.....Just don't paint it Green or Yellow!      :ychain:

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Nice tractor.   Like stated above clean and set the points and plug, and make sure you have good fire. Then work on the fuel supply.  If you have spark and fuel, it will run.

Then check the hydro for water.  You may need to do a flush and fill after determining if it has ATF (pink) or 30W(amber) .

Do not engage the parking brake with the tractor moving.  You could break off the pawl inside the hydro.

• Like 2

Newbiehorse
On 10/30/2016 at 3:10 PM, wallfish said:

Ok it's a 10410 7 

Also the guy said it would turn over but not fire....

it it was missing the spark plug and the fuel line was shut off.  Put a plug in it, opened the line. Fired right up. Very smooth sounding 

• Like 4

953 nut
19 minutes ago, Newbiehorse said:

Fired right up.

:woohoo:   :woohoo:   :woohoo:

• Like 2

wallfish

Always nice when they "fire right up"  Glad you got'er going so quick!

That's a really nice tractor and even more so if that paint is original.

Have fun!

Newbiehorse
25 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Have fun!

Paint and decals all seem original. 

Edited by Newbiehorse
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Guy was right...    :greetings-clappingyellow:

won't  fire without a plug in 'em.  

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS: Nice looking first Wheel Horse you have there, glad you were able to get her running with little trouble :) if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, lots of very knowledgeable and helpful (though maybe a little crazy at times :lol:) folks around here to help you out 

• Like 2

wallfish
17 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

though maybe a little crazy at times

Whatchya talk'n 'bout Willis?

steve.JPG

@stevasaurus

• Like 5

WheelHorseNut

Nice looking tractor!  Good luck!  Glad it was something simple.  I had a similar experience with one of my tractors and it ended up being plug gap.  Nice when it's easy!

TDF5G

A lot of times it's just some simple little thing like that.  Just went through that repairing power door locks on my dads Buick, after messing with it for over a week.  I got an education on that!

She's a mighty fine looking tractor!  Glad you got 'er goin'.  Have fun with the snow thrower!

Ed Kennell
16 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

Just went through that repairing power door locks on my dads Buick, after messing with it for over a week.  

OK, what was the simple fix on the door lock?   Mrs Ks van has one that doesn't work. 

:offtopic:  sorry.

Edited by Ed Kennell

TDF5G
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

OK, what was the simple fix on the door lock?   Mrs Ks van has one that doesn't work. 

:offtopic:  sorry.

Well it depends.  I'm no expert.  My Dad's car had a bad actuator that I had to replace, then ran into other problems. It's a long story and I don't want to highjack the thread.

• Like 1

Newbiehorse
On 11/1/2016 at 7:01 PM, wallfish said:

Have fun!

21 hours ago, TDF5G said:

A lot of times it's just some simple little thing like that.  Just went through that repairing power door locks on my dads Buick, after messing with it for over a week.  I got an education on that!

She's a mighty fine looking tractor!  Glad you got 'er goin'.  Have fun with the snow thrower!

Anyone know where I can get an owners manual for the charger 10?

953 nut
39 minutes ago, Newbiehorse said:

know where I can get an owners manual for the charger 10?

You didn't say what year, if it is not a '69 do a search in the manuals section.

• Like 2