Kleinrrr

414-8 Restoration

Kleinrrr

Hello all,

I received some new information on the 414-8. Apparently the engine ran when it was parked and never had an issue with it. The issue is with the rear end. What exactly is wrong is unknown but I think it is time to pull the trigger and get going on this. My old man and I have restored a JD 435 and he did a Farmall M last year. This seems like a great machine and it would be great to bring it back to life.

• Like 2

Forest Road

$100? Can't go wrong. Many times the drive belt wears out and a lazy owner parts w a perfectly fine horse. Best of luck! 

DennisThornton

Easily $100 worth of parts to anybody that dabbles in WHs!  And indeed of the engine runs!

Kleinrrr

Hello Guys,

We have been able to get engine running again with a new spark plug and replacing the water/gas with fresh gas. After ensuring it ran consistantly the next step was figuring out why the transmission wouldn't work. We broke it down and started disassembling the uni-drive transmission. One of the issues we were told it had was that it wouldn't take oil. After screwing off the fill tube we found a conical gear oil cap wedged at the bottom of it. God knows how long that transmission was running without oil. Anyways we split the transmission to find a super thick layer of sluge and water. The shifting mechanism was froze, the high low shifter was froze, the two main bearings for the axel shaft were froze and a couple needle bearings had come apart. There was a large amount of corrosion on everything in there.

Long story short I think I'll need a new transmission to make this restoration happen. Does anyways have a lead on a Uni-Drive transmission for a 414-8? Year built is 1988. Any idea on cost?

Thanks

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

Try soaking the transmission in some diesel or kereosene. Bolt it back together and try shaking it. I usually do it a few times (2-3) until the fuel comes out fairly clean. It is worth a shot to see what it can do before saying it is completely shot. 

After that try some simple green and a brush to clean it further.

From there I believe you can get the vast majority of the parts especially now that the 1533 bearings are available here. 

Edited by mmmmmdonuts

Kleinrrr

I ended up power washing out that sludge. I don't think the diesel will help with my bearing and seal issue. Replacing all them is a hefty price tag but that seems to be the only way to do it right.

Lagersolut
12 minutes ago, Kleinrrr said:

I ended up power washing out that sludge. I don't think the diesel will help with my bearing and seal issue. Replacing all them is a hefty price tag but that seems to be the only way to do it right.

You can get the open and closed cup needle bearings on Amazon ( Timken ) at very reasonable prices vs OEM - my rebuilt transmission on the C-101 has all Timken bearings - the cross reference chart is pinned at the top of this section. :)

mmmmmdonuts
45 minutes ago, Lagersolut said:

You can get the open and closed cup needle bearings on Amazon ( Timken ) at very reasonable prices vs OEM - my rebuilt transmission on the C-101 has all Timken bearings - the cross reference chart is pinned at the top of this section. :)

I did the same thing with my transmission. I had to replace them all minus the 1533 bearings. I am glad you got it cleaned out though.

Lagersolut
29 minutes ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

I did the same thing with my transmission. I had to replace them all minus the 1533 bearings. I am glad you got it cleaned out though.

Mine wasn't quite as crusty as yours,  but after I got it open it was lots of brushes ( wire and regular ) and brake cleaner ( Advanced auto had theirs on sale 2 cans for $5 at the time ) scrubbed everything on an old oil change pan to catch the goo and cleaner . Found 1 NOS 1533 bearing on the bay for 40 bucks I grabbed . :)   

Kleinrrr

Does anyone know where I can get the dip stick for the uni-drive transmission?

Kleinrrr

Started assembly on the 414-8.

IMG_20170826_110706[1].jpg

IMG_20170826_110712[1].jpg

Edited by Kleinrrr
  • Like 3