Kleinrrr

414-8 Restoration

Kleinrrr

Hello all,

My dad has run across a wheel horse 414-8 in a field. The guy has a tiller attachment and a 79361 snow attachment. It has all been sitting for while but I hear these are quality machines. Is it worth trying to pick up, restore, and possibly resell? I just bought up my first Toro wheel horse (520xi) from my church. Seems to be a quality machine. Does anyone have recommendation on a price in its current condition?

IMG_2147[1].JPG

IMG_2148[1].JPG

IMG_2149[1].JPG

• Like 3

Duramax7man7

Check the oil and see if it starts? Or turns over at least with a new battery? 

• Like 1

N3PUY

Tell "the guy" you would like to have it as a project.

Ask how much for all.

Not knowing if it runs or if the tiller needs alot of work you might get it for cheap.

If you start it in front of the owner he might want to keep it.

There's a reason it's been in the field .........:think:

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Welcome to the forum. The tractor in my opinion is worth 100 at most. The 2 stage blower and tiller is hard to say without pictures. Were they kept in or out also?

They could bring some good bucks if clean and operational.

• Like 4

Lagersolut

Agree with Wishin - 100 bucks at the most - I found a C 160 like that a few weeks ago - you can try to turn the flywheel by hand see if the engine is seized .

• Like 2

Lagersolut

One I found was and the guy wouldn't part with it .

SylvanLakeWH

I'd offer him $25 to help him clean up his field and barn...See what he says.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

JAinVA

I don't know about the attachments but if he gave you the tractor for nothing you'd still be out a lot money of to get it operational.It looks to have been outside a long time.The strap between the footrest and fender pan makes me wonder what else got rigged.If parted out you could come out ahead but then you have to take it apart and sell the pieces.In my opinion its worth more parted out but you would have to put in the effort and deal with the leftover parts no one wants.Sounds cold but in that state it isn't worth much unless you really want something to work on.JMHO,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:  Glad you are a happy :wh: owner, but the 414 kind of depends on how ambitious you are feeling. The satisfaction you will receive from saving the :wh: from being scrapped is likely to be the only profit you could expect. :twocents-02cents: I would offer no more than $ 50 and hope it can be saved, made operable and run it as a rat rod worker. The money and labor needed to bring it back to its former glory would too high in my opinion. Hate to see it going to the crusher, but wouldn't want to see you dump a bunch of work and money on it and get back a dime on the dollar.

• Like 5

N3PUY

I paid $100 for this

IMG_5184 (800x600).jpg

and turned it into this 

IMG_5359 (800x600).jpg

It's amazing what a little paint and a lot of time will accomplish!

ALSO

paid $100 for this one

IMG_4320.JPG

and turned it into this

IMG_4429.JPG

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 8

Aldon

Personally a restoration on a tractor that appears as far gone as photo suggests is in my opinion an act of charity or love of hobby.

I doubt you will flip it for profit.

And that's if you don't cost in labor.

if however you enjoy the journey and like to resurrect old machines, it's a definitely a good project.

• Like 7

DennisThornton

She's rough...  Sub $200 if the rear tires are good.  Got to be $100 in parts.  I'm guessing each attachment is worth more than the tractor, unless they are as rusty...

Too common to get very excited about but I'd try to bring it home somehow.  I just wouldn't pay much...

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Pick it up cheap, $100 for all of it.

:WRS:

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, N3PUY said:

I paid $100 for this

and turned it into this 

It's amazing what a little paint and a lot of time will accomplish!

ALSO

paid $100 for this one

IMG_4320.JPG

and turned it into this

You bought a 520HC in that good of shape for $100!  Man!  And I thought I had some good deals!

• Like 1

JAinVA

There is definitely money in this machine as parts,no doubt.To me there is a big difference in a rough looking running tractor and a very rusty machine that has not been used in many years.To get the hood in paintable condition will take many hours of work.

The machine can be saved but you really have to want a 414 -8 to bite on this one.

Edited by JAinVA

DennisThornton

Oh if I was unclear, there's no way I would restore it!  Parts only!  Too easy to buy something much better for a couple or few hundred more.

N3PUY

Well,   people see things differently ....

Looking at that picture some see a pile of parts being sold for profit and the loss of another Wheel Horse no longer to be enjoyed in this hobby.

I see a bright red tractor tilling up the ground after hours in the garage turning coal into a diamond.

If the hood is the only scarry part I'll give you a perfect hood.

I don't mind buying a Wheel Horse that looks like that.  It may take a lot of time to make it look nice, But I have a lot of time and not a lot of money.

Like Brad Paisley says:

When you see a deer you see Bambi
And I see antlers up on the wall

When you see a lake you think picnic
And I see a large mouth up under that log

When you see a priceless French painting
I see drunk, naked girls

15 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

You bought a 520HC in that good of shape for $100!  Man!  And I thought I had some good deals!

It was a non-running tractor.  Someone tried to fix it.

Air cleaner was off, coil was missing.

I put a $17 Chevy Cavalier coil in it.

There was a hydro leak. (pipe fitting) Above deck.

When I got done with it I had $310 total invested.

And many hours.

It was just too big for me so I sold it for $800.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

People see things differently because people are different.  People are also different because their lives dictate that it be so.  I'm not going to live long enough to fix all the projects I've started.  Someone younger or with fewer projects might very well see that tired old, weathered 414 as diamond in the rough.  I just see it setting in my woods waiting for me to fix all my other projects first.  Just wouldn't be fair to it if I brought it home with me.

But thank goodness others have more time than I!  I hope she goes to a good home with time to spare!  Looks like she's earned some TLC!

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 2

Kleinrrr

Hi guys..thanks for all your opinions. It is cool too see the passion for quality machines. I've spoke with my dad and he says it doesn't run. We don't know why yet. But I'm thinking I'll pay for the attachments and try to get the tractor for free. Does anyone else have an opinion on what I should offer?

DennisThornton

If the attachments look like they lived with the tractor, not much...  

I'd hate to see you get burned but I'm not interested in cheating the seller either.  My 2 cents without seeing the rest is $200.  I could come out OK with that.  In fact, sight unseen I will offer that and drive one hour to pick them up!  Sight unseen!  Point I'm trying to make is there are many factors to a good deal and often some are unknown to both seller and buyer.  At $200 I don't care!  How bad could I come out?  If the seller feels squeamish then he can has choices as well.

If you see something you like and IF the attachments look like someone cared for them them offer more.  $300?  If you need them, then more?  Most folks would look at that tractor and pay someone to haul it away!  Us softhearted WH lovers wish otherwise and some folks think that because it's a VERY DESIRABLE and COLLECTIBLE Wheel Horse some will pay big bucks for it.  Not this one...

And man!  It sure ain't an XI!

Kleinrrr

I hear ya. It sounds like the attachments are in great condition. No rust, no dents, and they have been in a barn for a number of years rather than in a field. Sounds like the guy really wants to thin out his stuff. These attachments won't work with my Toro wheel horse but I could clean these up and put them in someone's arsenal of tools! 

N3PUY

If the attachments (rototiller) were used on this tractor there will be parts on the tractor required to complete the rototiller.

The rockshaft under the seat.  The lift cable.  Counterbalance spring.  Lift chain.  The axle brackets.  

Also the belt and belt tensioner assembly are laying some place. 

These parts are worth as much as the tiller itself.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

If the attachments (rototiller) were used on this tractor there will be parts on the tractor required to complete the rototiller.

The rockshaft under the seat.  The lift cable.  Counterbalance spring.  Lift chain.  The axle brackets.  

Also the belt and belt tensioner assembly are laying some place. 

These parts are worth as much as the tiller itself.

These are GREAT things for a Newbie to remember!  Very easy to never even think of and somewhat painful to have not done so!

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, N3PUY said:

Looking at that picture some see a pile of parts being sold for profit

Looking at a :wh: that has been neglected like that I see a tractor that probably wasn't properly maintained and may have a multitude of issues, all of which will cost money.     :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

JAinVA

Having been around the antique tractor hobby for many years the argument between saving a machine and parting it out comes up all the time.I have purchased many needed parts from salvers to keep my machines running.If no one parted a machine out then you would have to buy a complete machine to get the necessary parts to keep one you have going.As these WH's get older replacement parts will be increasing harder to find.Everyone looks at things differently as the saying goes but some times a lump of coal is a lump of coal.I would never suggest crushing something like the 414 pictured but unless you have the dedication and time to save it it may just end up as a pile of disassembled parts in someones garage or worse yet, the back yard.I have seen this many times with other tractors,when the vision of the finished jewel fades and the cold reality of the task sets in.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4