blackwater73

312-8 Fuel Filter

blackwater73

Can I put a inline fuel filter in my tractor and where should I put in in the fuel line if I can install it?

pfrederi

Anywhere that is easy to see it between the tank and the fuel pump

• Like 1

Detector

Mine is behind the left rear engine bolt, easy to swap & see... but anywhere as said would work.I think the number I use is a Napa 3011 (1/4" line)

Edited by Detector
  • Like 1

blackwater73

Thanks for the imfo, I just installed it and it works great!

wrightorchid

I put one in and also a shutoff valve, The one at the tank can leak sometimes.  Keep a couple extra spring clamps on hand, I always seem to break or launch one.  might replace the fuel hose if it's been a while.  I try to have the date on the hose somewhere I can read it.  If you use a drill or similar size rod, you can connect the new hose to old, and pull it through under the seat and such. (the new hose always has a curve to it, even when warmed in the sun).  

KC9KAS
20 hours ago, blackwater73 said:

Can I put a inline fuel filter in my tractor

Most definitely install a fuel filter!

clueless

My wheel horses and my simplicity all came with a filter on the shutoff valve in the tank, no external filter. I always put a inline filter on any of may stuff, but curious as to what micron count the filter in the tank is. While an inline external filter is cheap and easy to install, is this over kill, the manufacturers didn't think it was necessary.

pfrederi

It is just a screen. I have no idea what the micron rating would be...but the sun shines through it pretty easily...of course the holes in it are finer than anything in the carb.  But I put paper in line filters on all my units.  Hard to tell if the screen in the tank has been compromised with out pulling it to check.

IMG_0027.JPG

Detector

IMO I think it's just cheap insurance, I've seen plenty of those screens rot away over time, the one on my WH had a tear in it but it also had a clear inline fuel filter on it that was full of small particles mostly bits of old fuel line which could had ended up in the float needle or jet, I washed out my tank and replaced everything for under $35, peace of mind I suppose...

Edited by Detector
Auto correct...