R.J.

toro wheel horse 244-H problems

R.J.

Hello first time user . I have a toro wheel horse 244-H that i inherited so to say, I know nothing about its history. It has a 14 hp motor that i got running and it runs great but when i try to put in drive or reverse it bogs engine and will eventually die if not returned to neutral. It will also bog and die if i engage the mower deck. Looking for some help here as this looks to be a decent mower thanks  in advance for any help .

Walt

:WRS:

I recommend checking the manuals section there maybe a trouble shooting section in manual for your tractor. I'm also sure some of our members familiar with the hydro's will chime in with some trouble shooting steps.  

Edited by Walt

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Do the deck spindles turn freely without the belt on them?

If it's been sitting rust is not your friend...

Good to see Michigan folks!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

R.J.

i have checked the deck spindles and they turn freely, also have looked at some trouble shooting but no luck yet.

SylvanLakeWH

As Walt said...Others will be along to troubleshoot...lots of very bright WH folks on this forum...

You can entice them even more if you post pictures...:wwp:

R.J.

toro wheel horse.jpg

• Like 3

Sifan

With it bogging down on both directions and deck, makes me think engine is getting enough fuel to idle but not enough under a load.

If it's not been modified, there is a fuel filter in the gas tank shut off valve.

Easy way to check, turn valve off, pull gas line from side of carb, put gas line in container and turn valve on, let if flow for a couple of minutes.

Good luck!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Here is an Onan engine service manual

The tractor's model number and serial number will identify the model year.

Garry

R.J.

update . tore carb apart today and cleaned it all up also adjusted the throttle linkage. tractor runs great but does the same thing , when i try to engage the pto it sounds like it bogs engine way down and will eventually die and when i try to put in gear it will move but sounds like someone is shutting off the key switch until returned to neutral then runs fine again. also put a jumper wire to seat switch and doesnt help any. 

oldredrider

Looking at the schematic,  it sounds like your PTO switch might be the problem. It's the weak electrical point on the 244. Try jumping the pink to grey wire and the purple to brown wire and see what happens. If it operates properly, there's your trouble.

• Like 1

R.J.

Ok will try that tomorrow and see what happens . thanks for the help this is driving me crazy never had one before with electrical clutch 

R.J.
17 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Looking at the schematic,  it sounds like your PTO switch might be the problem. It's the weak electrical point on the 244. Try jumping the pink to grey wire and the purple to brown wire and see what happens. If it operates properly, there's your trouble.

thanks for the help i really appreciate it jumped the two wires and started engine and deck blades are spinning and working just fine. Now if i can only figure out this drive thing , i put in gear it moves and its like engine is shut off with a switch until moved back to neutral then runs fine again .

oldredrider

Your neutral switch may be at fault. You can try bypassing it with a jumper between the 15 amp fuse and the brown wire at the pto switch. Also, if that doesn't change things, reconnect the seat switch and see what that does. Let us know.

• Like 2

R.J.
On 10/30/2016 at 9:32 AM, oldredrider said:

Your neutral switch may be at fault. You can try bypassing it with a jumper between the 15 amp fuse and the brown wire at the pto switch. Also, if that doesn't change things, reconnect the seat switch and see what that does. Let us know.

update , there was not a 15 amp fuse in fuse block so i tied a piece of wire to neutral safety switch holding it in the up position and tractor drives just fine . thanks oldredrider for the help you have saved me on this . for repairs what are my options for fixing these 2 issues ? for neutral switch can i just bypass that somehow and for pto can i use a toggle to turn deck on and off or what route would be best .

WHX??

You can probably  get those switches from Toro yet but they might be pricey. They are a pretty common micro switch I believe so should be all over Amazon or 'bay cheaper. Get the Toro P/N out of the IPL & try googling it. I have a 244 parts tractor I can let you have if they are still on it & good yet.

@gwest_ca did a 244 have an Onan in it ? I could have swore my parts  machine has a Briggs??

BTY :WRS: RJ

20160912_171016[1].jpg

20160912_173224[1].jpg

20160912_173215[1].jpg

Edited by WHX8
  • Like 1

oldredrider

The 244 came with an Onan. 

While I don't recommend bypassing safety switches, none of mine have them! Like whx8 said, check with Toro for pricing. Or, do as you described (bypass and toggle switch).

• Like 1

WHX??

I recued it from a scrap yard because it has a lot of parts for my beloved 246

20160912_172642[1].jpg

Edited by WHX8

R.J.

WHX8 wish we wasnt so far apart lol . the oem pto switch is 59.99 and im just not willing to pay that for a switch and the neutral safety switch looks very much like a hvac sail switch for a inducer motor so i could make something work there . mine has 14hp onan motor 

WHX??

Yes by golly they are an onan @oldredrider......you must be a fellow 200 series fan! Wonder why a PO might have cocked the motor in it like that or is that's how it's supposed to sit?

Kinda thought OEM might be a bit proud of theirs..... Check aftermarket RJ and if that don't pan out I'll see if mine are any good and you can have them for a beer & shipping if you like.

Edited by WHX8
spell
  • Like 1

R.J.

not sure why on yours i know mine is not as cocked as that lol...and i was looking at aftermarket pto switches and there in the range of 10-30 dollars thats a little easier to swallow :thanks:

• Like 1