Duramax7man7

Hub Troub's.... HELP!

Duramax7man7

OMGSH!!! I'm getting irritated! 

Rented a hub puller and the bolts for the hub aren't long enough and only go just short of half way into the hub. I busted a lug bolt out of the hub (it still has viable threads though) and I'm wonder if anyone has any tips or tricks. 

Ive used penetrating spray and heat on the hub. I may have used to much heat though? Don't know. 

Any idea's would be great. This friggin thing seems welded on!? 

Andrew C.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

search for "stuck hubs" in search bar top right. Dozens of threads will come up...

good luck!

Good to see Michigan folks! 

• Like 2

lynnmor

Only use a puller that fully engages all 5 bolt holes.  You should find some good information with a search as suggested.  I made a puller and will post a photo tomorrow if it will help.

Keep in mind that the hub may have rotated and the key is no longer aligned with the key slot.  If that happened, the only way to get it off is to rotate the hub back into alignment.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

Duramax7man7

Thanks guys and YIKES!? That sounds like a PIA.

bmsgaffer

If you have already destroyed the hub, you can hacksaw it in half right up to the key and crack it off. 

If you have not yet destroyed it, do a search as mentioned above. People have been very creative and make their own pullers. Some use another old trashed hub that still has the 5 bolt holes, some have made plates, some make flange pullers that reach all the way to the back of the hub.

One key though I have heard is it is best to always use grade 8 bolts that are SMALLER than the threads in the hub, then put a washer and nut behind the hub. You spread out the pulling force over much more area of the cast hub this way and less chance of breaking or pulling out threads. 

• Like 5

pfrederi

The small puller has 3/8 gr8 bolts that slip through the 7/16 hub holes and save the threads

The big one is on  a D series but you could use eh same idea on yours pull from the back,  it is not an optical illusion in the one picture I bent 2 -  1.25 inch thick wall tubes pulling the hub

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3434.JPG

• Like 3

Duramax7man7

Thanks!

What size bolts will I need for that bottom setup? That will be my most accessible setup... Calling around right now to local shops to see if I attain this stuff. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Small bolts are 3/8 x 5"  Center I used 3/4 x 6"

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Thanks a ton! Will hunt that down. I found a local place that has grade 8, 3/8" and 3/4 @ 5" bolts but only grade 5 nuts... Will that work? I cold get them today. 

BOB ELLISON

Don't forget to use a lot of penetrating oil such as WD40, Pb BLASTER or kyoil.

Let soak . Some guys have soaked it for days before it will let loose.DO NOT HAMMER ON IT you will destroy the bearings and gear snap ring. At that point a total removial of and rebuild will be the only hope. Ask me how I know this....I used a 3 arm puller and broke the hub in peaces. Pfrederi has the best setup you can have.

• Like 2

pfrederi

I do not see why not.  They should still be strong enough.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I cant tell if the one above is or not, but if you can find a fine threaded nut and bolt for the center that would be best. If you have any around you check Fastenal, the bigger stores can be well stocked. 

Duramax7man7
44 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Don't forget to use a lot of penetrating oil such as WD40, Pb BLASTER or kyoil.

Let soak . Some guys have soaked it for days before it will let loose.DO NOT HAMMER ON IT you will destroy the bearings and gear snap ring. At that point a total removial of and rebuild will be the only hope. Ask me how I know this....I used a 3 arm puller and broke the hub in peaces. Pfrederi has the best setup you can have.

Roger that! Kind of no brainer when it comes to axles huh? "Don't destroy the thing that moves the machine". :)

44 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I do not see why not.  They should still be strong enough.

AWesome! Looks like I be winning this battle this weekend. All I want is to get a new seal on that side as well. Replaced the other one yesterday. That hub came off with no issue. Looks like half of the keyway was blown out though. Will most likely find a clean used set of these. Espeacilly after busting out half of the threads on two lug holes on the stuck one. GRRRRR!!? 

8 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

I cant tell if the one above is or not, but if you can find a fine threaded nut and bolt for the center that would be best. If you have any around you check Fastenal, the bigger stores can be well stocked. 

I'm going to a place called Kitts Industrial Tools. They have SO much stuff. Was by here the other day and totally forgot about them. Serched on craigslist and called them not knowing it was them until I asked for a name. ha ha. Cool. They have the bolts in grade 8 and the nuts and washers in grade 5. It's dirt cheap too. Family owned for a long time. They will most likely be the place that I build my snow thrower lift pole with.    

• Like 1

pfrederi
11 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

I agree fine would be better (actually an acme thread would be best, what they use for center crews in most pullers).

I went with NC because I wanted it fully Threaded.  Fully threaded NF $12.06 Each  Ouch!!

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Duramax7man7

YIKES on that price. But it's better than $50-$75 for a new hub. ;)

squonk

i made this puller out of 3/8 plate doubled up. 7/16" fine bolts threaded into the lug holes with nuts behind then against the hub surface for extra strength. (not shown)    2 7/8 fine nuts welded together for a large thread area to pull with. And a 7/8 threaded rod for a force screw with another nut welded on the end for the impact to drive. All hardware came from McMaster-Carr

post-2380-0-24977300-1414874884_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Okay here is my progress.... OMGsh... She fought me to the last twist of the nuts. Man alive!? NOW to get the woodruff key out.. smh.

Any suggestions? Ive tried a little. heated the axle a bit. no go. 

IMG_20161028_47980.jpg

IMG_20161028_53927.jpg

IMG_20161028_4913.jpg

IMG_20161028_11333.jpg

IMG_20161028_16674.jpg

IMG_20161028_21674.jpg

• Like 1

lynnmor

Using a brass or aluminum punch, tap the back end of the key down so as to raise the front.  Then you should be able to continue raising the front with a punch and hammer.  Whatever you do, don't mushroom the key and drive that mushroom down into the slot.  Keep soaking it with PB Blaster.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

11pm and SUCCESS!!!!! 3hours of clamping the axle at the base after pulling it all of the way out, using a 7/8" nut held by a pair of pliers (which I broke one pair). Then placing a spacer (I used a wood chisel as it was all I had that was the right width but a piece of bar stock wouldve worked well) behind the woodruff key to stop the axle again from moving back and risking the opposite sides internal retaining clip, as I used a masonry hammer sideways and wacked that with my framing hammer! 

YEAH, I dont have a ton a tools but make due with what I got. ;o)

This key was stuck just as badly as the hub itself.... 

Anyway, yes I mushroomed the end of the axle a bit even though I used a large nut to smack instead of directly hitting the axle. BUT I said the heck with it, "Im not letting this key own me". So I did what I needed to and owned the key AND Axle. Use a flat file and made her all nice a straight again and finished up with some emery cloth. I made a mess but got it out and cleaned it all up. I even cleaned out the key slot with some emery cloth and cleaned her out. Its not a masterpiece finish but Im sure it will do. Photos below. 

IMG_20161028_26171.jpg

IMG_20161028_40867.jpg

IMG_20161028_47560.jpg

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Kinjockety
      By Kinjockety
      The Wheelhorse I am working on is a 1969 Charger 12.  It has the hydrostatic lift coming off of the transmission.  I will not be using the mower deck and hence, the lift so I want to remove it.  It is leaking anyhow so removal is my best option.  I have heard if I I simply remove the hoses and plug the openings I could burn out the pump.  I am not a mechanic so I do not know where to start.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Also, if I plug at the control valve does that work?  Lastly, how special are the plugs and where can I get them?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark
    • DBlackston
      By DBlackston
      This is the story of how I removed a broken head bolt from the K181 in my 854. I am posting this up as it may help some of you in the future with your own issues.  Use it at your own discretion, it may not be the best way of approaching this situation, but it worked well for me.

A little backstory on the situation, I purchased an 854 before last winter intending to use it as my worker in the garden in the spring. Unfortunately that didn’t play out the way I had anticipated. The motor would run for 10 minutes or so and then seemingly shut off like you turned the ignition off. 

Mind you the only motors I have ever worked on have been Cummins diesels. Never any small engines or gas motors for that fact so this was a new adventure for me.

I originally chocked this up to being a vapor lock issue caused by the fuel line heating up and boiling causing a lack of fuel in the pump/carb.

After installing a longer fuel line to move it farther from the exhaust this did not solve the problem. I moved on to the fuel pump. Upon removal of the fuel pump I found a decent amount of corrosion, enough to significantly reduce the volume coming from the output. A short disassembly and cleaning later and I was shooting gas several feet from the pump while cranking. The issue persisted.
      Moving on to the carb, I found the carb decently clean, but disassembled and cleaned it just to be sure. With the carb reinstalled and adjusted the issue persisted.

With my issue still persisting I removed the head to check for any issues I may see internally with a quick inspection. I found a piston that is obviously loose in the bore, which I expected with the blue haze this motor has while running. However I do not think that is causing the 10 minute run time, I since believe that the issue is electrical, likely coil related.
      But on to the real meat of this, the broken head bolt.  While removing the head I broke the bolt closest to the exhaust port.  This seems to be, from some of the other posts I have read here, quite the problem area.

Luckily the head bolt broke approx. ½” or so above the deck of the block so I thought I could get it out.

Several attempts at removing it were tried:
      -          Apply heat with a MAP gas torch until bolt was red hot, followed by plenty of penetrating oil. (Before each attempt)
      -          Vice Grips (Simply rounded the bolt)
      -          Cut slot in top of bolt, use impact screw driver (Remaining bolt broke off on either side of the slot)
      -          Welded a Nut on ( Broke 3 nuts off)

I finally stopped these approaches when the bolt was approx.  .125” tall for fear of damaging the deck of the block.

At this point I resigned; it was time for a professional to work on the motor. I would have it bored and have them drill the bolt at the same time. So there it sat taking up space in the garage for several months, a monument to my failure while I saved some spare money to have it fixed. While my plow, disc, and cultivator gathered dust behind the shed and my garden mockingly grew up in weeds.
      While at work one day the thought hit me as I watched someone use a drill bushing on a tool to transfer a hole from a mating part. Maybe I should try another attempt after all that motor runs strong when it’s running so I could live with the blue haze from the loose rings. I really don’t think the issue that’s causing the motor to stop is internal since it runs so good when it is running.

So I went home and measured the size of the clearance hole in the head, and armed with that information I had a friend make me some homemade drill bushings.

Using some O1 rod we turned three bushings with .340” OD’s and 5/32”, ¼”, and 17/64” ID’s.

I purchased a set of left hand drill bits at Harbor Freight and a center drill. I also purchased a 17/64” left hand bit from MSC. (MSC PN 81127177) and a 5/16-18 plug tap (MSC 77430080).

Here are all the tools I used. 

The first step was to install the head back on the motor to use as a guide block. In hindsight I would have cut a 5/16 counter bore on the back side of my drill bushing to fit over the broken stub of the bolt and be sure I was lining up perfectly. However hindsight is 20/20 and I will do that next time. If your bolt is broken below the surface of the deck you could thread the end of a shaft that fits in your head and use that as an alignment dowel as well so there are several viable approaches.

With the head loosely bolted down I carefully adjusted it until the gap around the bolt looked even and then cinched the head down tight. This is the last time the head will come off until the bolt is removed and I was ready to tap. After the head was situated and tight I installed the .250” ID drill bushing in the head and tapped it down gently until it contacted the bolt. A healthy shot of oil was shot in the bushing, I would recommend tap-matic or another cutting fluid but I had WD-40 at hand so I used that. The compressed propellant also works well to blow chips out if you do not have access to compressed air.

Using the #3 center drill, which conveniently has a shank diameter of ¼” and the ¼” bushing I drilled a starting hole to keep subsequent drills on track. This only needs to be .050” deep or so. I quickly found that the top of my bolt was very hard.

Since this was my first time using harbor freight drills, I was unsure about using the 5/32” drill, and there was already a .250” bushing in the head so I skipped that step and started drilling with the ¼” drill.

I would drill ¼” deep or so slowly with moderate pressure, I found after the first ¼” or so the drilling became much easier. I must have quenched the bolt with the penetrating oil with my original attempts at removing it with heat and penetrating oil.

I would periodically check my depth by marking the drill with my thumbnail and then putting the drill bit down an open hole in the head until I was sure I was deep enough. Although, the hole would if drilled too deep end up in the exhaust opening, which should not harm anything, but wouldn’t be ideal. I expected that the drill would “fall” through the dead space at the bottom of the hole, but I never experienced that even after drilling deeper than I would have ever expected.  (The head bolts are only 1-1/2” long and that includes going through the head)

I was impressed with the Harbor Freight drill, and it made short work of the drilling, drilling 1 ½” or so deep in short time.

At this point the bushing had ridden up out of the hole with the chips built up under it and was easily removed. If this happens while drilling you will want to remove it, and blow out the hole and then replace the bushing. This ensures your drill is tracking straight at all times.  I blew out the hole well, and then replaced the ¼” bushing with the 17/64” drill bushing. 

The reason for the 17/64” drill bushing is that it is quite close to the minor diameter of a 5/16-18” drill bit. Think of the minor diameter as the size of a bolt if you removed only the threads, the solid portion left inside is the minor diameter. This means when I drill out with this size, if I am centered well, only the threads should be left in the block. Depending on how stuck the fastener is the left hand bit may even catch some of the threads and spin them out, otherwise all of this work could be performed with cheaper and easier to obtain right hand standard drills.

As with the previous size the 17/64” drilling went well, and it even pulled out the first few threads. I proceeded in much the same way only drilling ¼” or so then stopping to blow out the hole, clean the drill bit, apply more lube, and push the bushing back in the head, while checking depth against another hole in the block.
      A short time later I had a drilled out hole, and it was time to remove the head again after thoroughly cleaning the area to prevent metal chips from migrating to the cylinder bore.

With the head removed I was relieved to see that my hole appeared to be well centered on the bolt and I moved on to the tapping operation.

Much to my delight it threaded almost as easy as the tap turned in an already tapped hole, simply pushing the remaining threads out of the hole. I stopped every few threads and backed up to break any chip that was forming, as well as stopping every ½” or so to blow out any chips. Again being careful to not introduce them to the valves (Motor turned to be on the ignition stroke so both valves are closed) or the cylinder bore.

Job successfully completed!

I purchased some new bolts today to reinstall the head, and will be picking up some anti seize as well to thoroughly lube the hole up.

I am not a member yet, but when I have some extra cash I will be, and at that point I will upload some of the multitude of pictures I took during this process if anyone is interested in those.

After that it’s on to seeing if a new coil, condenser, spark plug wire, and spark plug fixes this thing for good!

• Rich16
      By Rich16
      Hi! I'm a new member and sure this has been addressed here but how do you remove the gauges on a 520h '91?

I just bought a replacement tach on top right (sticking with all Toro to match) and almost cried when I saw how difficult replacement seems to be. Saw one post about bending the dash cover and loosening the metal piece behind the gauge flange but I tried and don't want to take the chance of breaking the dash cover. Is it necessary to remove the steering wheel and maybe the hydraulic levers to get to them? The voltmeter isn't registering either (bottom left) and it's even more difficult to get to so I don't think bending anything will work. Everything else works perfectly. Help!

Just purchased this 520h with just over 600 hrs and really worried about the rear valve seat issues but it purrs like a kitten and is a delight to hear - love it! The owner mostly restored everything and I'm finishing the job.
    • Team70R
      By Team70R
      My old crusty 606 that I rescued from a fence row has been puking gear oil all over the place so I decided I'd pull the hubs off and take a look at the seals...... welllll the hubs were already loose!!  turns out the gear oil has been seeping between the hub and the axle shaft. All I had to do was back off the bolt on each hub and they slid right off! I never get that lucky!