amiga4001

tips for building a cultivator

amiga4001

Goodday All,

I am thinking of building me a cultivator for my Wheelhorse B115.

I already added a hydraulic pump which works ok ,so I want to power it hydraulic.

What would be best mountingposition on the front or on the back of the tractor?

How much power is needed and how much rpm on the blades/knives?

A typical hydraulic engine produces about 10KW with 500Rpm will this be enough to get it to work?

bmsgaffer

When I picture a cultivator, I picture an unpowered pull behind device:

CULY_TPC-1024x682.jpg

Now i realize that implements have different names in different countries, so maybe post a picture? Are you referring to what we 'mericans call a tiller?

082-1.jpg

bmsgaffer

I am just going to assume you mean tiller, so here is my thoughts:

First of all, your B115 has an 11hp (about 8.2kw when it was brand new) engine, after you take in system losses (drive, friction, pressure, etc) you will be probably about 3-5kw (4-7hp) out of the hydraulic drive motor (assuming your pump can fully support it). I will bet that your tiller would spin and maybe even work in soft sandy soil, but I dont think you would have enough power to till anything serious. 

Secondly, you would have to make sure that your pump volume and your drive motor volume were appropriately sized. Motors can take a LOT of fluid to run.

Third, Have you beefed up your B115 frame? Tiller work can be pretty punishing and I dont know if the sheet metal frame or transaxle could take that kind of abuse.  

I dont know what speed the tillers spin, but I think that 500rpm MAY be a bit too much, so you would have to gear down (either mechanically or hydraulicly). Maybe someone else has looked into this. 

However, anything can be done with a little ingenuity, so I would LOVE to see progress pictures if you do decide to attempt this. 

Achto

Case and Ingersoll used hydraulic drive implements on some of their tractors. Kind of a handy system, no belts to connect when changing implements. Just attach your implement and plug in two hydraulic hoses. One Case tractor that used this system was the 444, this tractor had a 14hp Kohler engine. The Case hydraulic drive tiller was the model H70. You could do a little research on that tractor and tiller to see what the specs were.

amiga4001

Ok so a tiller then.

Yes I'll have to strengthen the chassis off the wheelhorse,that's the easy part i think...

It already is powering a hydraulic kipper and a woodlog splitter to full satisfaction.

It would have to be able to cut through more solid ground like clay.

But don't think it can't work as I see lot's of small petrol powered tillers which have blades up to 60 cm.

Maybe I do have a problem with fluid volume I'll have to research that.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I had to google kipper :hide: (Dump trailer, right?)

For us backyard mechanics, its hard to give a calculation for hydraulics and power needed at the tine of the tiller. My vote is to give it a go and take lots of pictures!

Oh and I would love to see some pictures of the hydraulic kipper and log splitter hooked up to a wheel horse if you get a chance! That sounds really cool!

• Like 1

amiga4001

There is already a picture off my dump trailer on the site.

Take a look under my name.

I will also take a few pictures off my homebuild log splitter and add them.

I think I will just give it a go on my tiller project.

The fun is mostly in the building proces.

i'll take some pictures on the go.

Thanks for the interest.