cdr_warsstar

953 Sighting

T-Mo

I personally like the 953 models.  Nice find and I hope you can rescue it.

953 nut

:woohoo:     Looks very complete and original, nice find.  Buy it!     :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat:I agree , try to bring that one home ... it's dirty and pretty , original specimen . :wicked:

Amcwheel85

Agree! I would be bugging the owner to sell it to me! Good luck

DennisThornton

I had a recent 2 day fling with a 953.  Enough to appreciate the model and leave me wanting...

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

I had a recent 2 day fling with a 953.  Enough to appreciate the model and leave me wanting...

What...And no pictures!!!???

:ychain:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I don't know what kind of cast iron the Kohlers on those old 953's are made of but 953Nut recently brought one home that looked like it had been salvaged from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. He put a battery and gas in it and the thing started right up! Amazing:wacko:

• Like 6

DennisThornton
43 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

What...And no pictures!!!???

:ychain:

Oh yes!  I uploaded some a year or so ago and Richard/953Nut commented but then I couldn't find them recently so I uploaded more in the Stevebo Meet and & Greet thread.  Rough, sad and only a true Wheel Horse follower could appreciate her finer qualities.  Alas I let her go to a better life, I'm afraid only her organs will be brought to life again...  If only I had known her many years ago...

Edited by DennisThornton
speelling! I mean spelling!
  • Like 3

DennisThornton

At some point I want to start another thread that begins with the 953.  I think WH, the Ponds, made some serious merchandising/promotional/advertising/model naming mistakes.  Especially "Model Naming" mistakes!  I've been a WH lover for a few years but I've been in retail for about 5 decades so I think my normal 2 cents will in this case be worth 50% more!  Maybe double!

Anyone care to comment on why the "953" might be what I perceive as the first MAJOR missed marketing opportunity?

1 hour ago, cdr_warsstar said:

Saw this at a new job today. It needs a hug...

I may end up trying to buy it before I leave...

I think I saw a deck in the weeds, and possibly a rear blade.

BvBgg3f.jpg

PhKEpxE.jpg

15" ag tires... I just get all weak in the knees...

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

a year or so ago and Richard/953Nut commented but then I couldn't find them recently so I uploaded more in the Stevebo Meet and & Greet thread.  Rough, sad and only a true Wheel Horse follower could appreciate her finer qualities.  Alas I let her go to a better life, I'm afraid only her organs will be brought to life again..

Dennis, you mean to say you let it go after all the work you went through to retrieve it. That was a very early model with the recessed head lights and Ross steering. Not sure where you would ever find the steering wheel to go with it, but the others are very hard to find parts. Glad it went to a good home, wish it had been mine!

Mike'sHorseBarn

If you buy it you won't regret it! I've had mine almost 2 years now and love everything about it!

DennisThornton
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Dennis, you mean to say you let it go after all the work you went through to retrieve it. That was a very early model with the recessed head lights and Ross steering. Not sure where you would ever find the steering wheel to go with it, but the others are very hard to find parts. Glad it went to a good home, wish it had been mine!

Just too far gone for me to restore.  I'll be dead before I get the other projects done.  Just foolishness to think I'd get around to that 953!  It did remind me that I have a 16" tired tractor that needs my attention already.  So I intend to pause with anymore WHs (unless a bargain gets dangerously close!) and fix my Economy PK (bad trans but I now have two good ones (Dual Tranny!)

Indeed you came to mind first for it, but...  I do think she went to good homes!

• Like 1

953 nut
54 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'll be dead before I get the other projects done.

I too have about a lifetime's supply of projects, but that won't keep me from looking.   :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 6

Mike'sHorseBarn
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I too have about a lifetime's supply of projects, but that won't keep me from looking.   :handgestures-thumbupright: 

Isn't that the truth! I estimate I have enough projects to keep me busy until retirement lol. That just means i need to keep hunting for post retirement projects! haha 

• Like 1

cdr_warsstar

I'm definitely going to try to buy it, but the max I'd spend is $200, and that's if those attachments belong to it and come with it. 

• Like 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, cdr_warsstar said:

I'm definitely going to try to buy it, but the max I'd spend is $200, and that's if those attachments belong to it and come with it. 

Good luck, $ 200 would be a great price.

DennisThornton

Crap!  I'd live longer if I had to if I got that for $200!

What the *HECK* can you buy for $200 that would do 10 percent of the work that 953 would do?  For the collector , how many 953s could one expect to find?  What scale one would use where that wouldn't that be worth $200!  OK!  I've settled down...  $199!  That's it!  

• Like 1