russellmc301

suburban 400 clutch hook up

russellmc301

how do i get my clutch to not be bent back like this?IMG_2170.JPG

heres all the hook ups

IMG_2171.JPGIMG_2172.JPG

any imput is awesome.

Racinbob

The rod should be 20 5/8" center to center. Check the roll pin. My first guess was that you didn't have the belt on but I see you do. :)

• Like 1

wallfish

Unfortunately most of the 400/550s seem to have that issue. Maybe not to that extreme but they all seem to keep the pedal too far back.

First make sure the roll pin is in there like Bob pointed out. Doesn't look like it is from the pic.

Make sure your belt is a 30" belt.

Slide the engine all the way forward in the slots.

A larger idler pulley will also bring the pedal up some.

A combination of all those things should get it better

Or as a last resort, cut and weld the rod a little bit shorter

• Like 1

russellmc301

well you see:rolleyes: theres a pin in there it was a kotter key and i tried drilling it out and i couldn't get it so theres still somthing in there hold it together.

i'll try slidding the engine forward im not sure where it sits now, but the bolts where lightly tightend so probley all the way back. theres a thing that was on there before to make it fit right i may have to use it again. the belt may also be the problem and i figured a shorter belt would help also, i might give that a try. thanks for the help:text-bravo:

wallfish

You may want to try holding that idler pulley arm solid and then try moving the brake/pedal arm down on the other side. If there is play in there and it moves, you'll need to secure it.  It just seems from the pic, the brake/pedal arm is off from the position of where it's supposed to be while the pulley is engaging the belt. BUT as always, pics can be deceiving.

I'll see if I can get a pic of mine tomorrow to compare that arm position. Just be careful with that cast arm, they'll break. Guess how I know that?

• Like 2

russellmc301

ok ill see and may end up drilling her out if shes off

Molon_Labe

The bellcrank angle should look about like this one if the proper belt is installed and the roll pin is intact. 

SAM_0995Sm.JPG

• Like 2

wallfish

Oooo, thanks @Molon_Labe, forgot to get that pic for him today.

russellmc301

IMG_2177.JPG

well this is the way i came some i just put it back on and figured it worked before and i works great now.

thanks for the help and that is an amazing looking tractor you got there molon:text-bravo:

• Like 1

Skeeters65

Looks like the is quite a bit of "slack" in the brake arm in your second picture. If you take that slack out it should stand the pedal up some. 

Edited by Skeeters65

gwest_ca

Looks like the belt should be 29".

Garry

Racinbob

As long as the clutch rod is correct the problem has to be in the idler pulley/clutch arm area. Adjusting the brake won't affect it. Verify that the belt is 29" as Garry mentioned. If it is then is back to the idler arm/clutch arm. The idler arm is welded to the cross rod. Check the angles of the two arms as compared to Majors in post #7. Mine looks the same as his. If it's off then it's the roll pin. This issue pops up now and then. It's got me wondering if some of the holes for the roll pin were drilled different and over the years as these tractors were taken apart and put back together the parts got mixed up. :think:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

russellmc301

ill check tommarow.

Molon_Labe
On 10/24/2016 at 9:44 PM, wallfish said:

You may want to try holding that idler pulley arm solid and then try moving the brake/pedal arm down on the other side. If there is play in there and it moves, you'll need to secure it.  It just seems from the pic, the brake/pedal arm is off from the position of where it's supposed to be while the pulley is engaging the belt. BUT as always, pics can be deceiving.

I'll see if I can get a pic of mine tomorrow to compare that arm position. Just be careful with that cast arm, they'll break. Guess how I know that?

I think @wallfish nailed it, mine had a sheared pin when I bought it and it had the same symptoms as yours. @Racinbob makes a good point about the rod possibly being re-drilled at some point. Bottom line, move the bellcrank to the same position as the one in post 7 and see where the pedal is without the adapter. If the pedal looks good the pin is in the wrong location. Your belt appears to be about the right size, too long and the belt guard won't fit. Previous owners sure make it fun for us don't they?

russellmc301

yep :woohoo: ill have to check