briankd

C-120 wireing help

briankd

just got my 1976 C-120 fired up for the first time. ran great at idle drove around yard throttled it up and has a knock to it not all time maybe a spark knock.

noticed smoke coming out behind dash was coming from ign. switch. the plastic plug at the b term was melting. went and tore harness out and don't know what to think who had this before screwed with it this is how they had it wired .

S to starter solenoid

b term going to regulator 

I term going to amp meter

R term going to safety switch then to coil

A term going to lights

found wiring diagram on here for 1977 C-120 and  I goes to ign coil 

S to starter solenoid

B to amp meter

A  lights

R to regulator

don't know how this ran maybe the way it wired may not getting correct voltage to coil or something causing a spark or fuel knock ? this 1977 wiring should be same as my 1976 other than it shows a electric clutch and mine don't

Edited by briankd
  • Like 1

briankd

never mind this thing was going to get running today come hell or high water so I ripped all the wiring out and started over. went with the wiring diagram on here for the 1977 model and rewired the whole thing got rid of all them safety switches. it is now alive and kicking works like it suppose to.

the p.o. I think was moving wires around to get by the safety switches they even had a old ratty wire nut on the wires bypassing the clutch switch THANKS Brian

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:      now that you know it runs I would suggest wiring in the safety switches; they call them that for a reason.

• Like 5

briankd

never liked the safety switches that's why I like the older stuff like my 857. always hated when you get off seat it would die. just my opinion though  thanks

clueless
On 10/23/2016 at 6:46 PM, briankd said:

never liked the safety switches that's why I like the older stuff like my 857. always hated when you get off seat it would die. just my opinion though  thanks

It"s suppose to die, so you or someone else doesn't. I know that's a long shot but stuff happens.

• Like 3